If only things were like this.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Found this on the CTC newsletter. From 1971, a public information film on the cycling proficency test.
Just have a look at the state of the art bikes from those days that we teenagers used to ride, I was 14 when this film was made. I used to have the same blue Raleigh that a very young Cheggers is riding.

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vS7hIL8S_aA

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
that's about the time I did mine too... fire hoses for white lines, everyone looked like the Undertones... happy days! ;)
peter noone... herman's hermits, wasn't it? according to wiki, he still gets on the telly in the USA...

Takes me back to my youth.

We all had normal bikes, then one kid got a Chopper bike. We used to just stand there and look at it at break times!

When I got a bit older we used to extend the forks on our bikes by fitting another cut off fork into the end. We thought we were so cool!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Aah those were the the days, choppers, tomahawks and then the state of the art "Grifter

2048643672_3f8ea5797c.jpg

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Someone did Pedal for Scotland on a Chopper - we were standing around after the finish and saw him come through the finish-line tent with his mate who did it on a BMX.

Hadn't seen a Chopper since the 70s before then. Never had one, but it was always hilarious to see your mates accidentally wallop their family jewels off the gear-stick when they had an accident :tongue:

Mr Pig

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I always drooled over the purple ones ;)

I had a purple MkII, which was not quite as deadly as the MkI.

Mortiroloboy

I was 13, we used to get old frames from the dump and wheels and basically canabalise bits off any bike we found at the tip, then we'd go to Rice Brothers which sold bikes and fishing tackle and buy cow horn or ape hanger bars...Happy days.

First saw a Chopper when I was nine thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. I think when they first came out they only came in bright red with a yellow lining, although I may be wrong as this was thirtynine years ago so the memory is not as good as it used to be:biggrin:

yenrod

Dig those sounds pop pickers !

Is it me, or does that bloke in the yellow jersey (with the walkie-talkie) look like Longers ?????

Top Bottom