If you had a Vintage Motorcycle...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
Modern ones made at Donington Park are very nice.
Yes, they do look nice. From the spec they seem to have changed everything apart from the name on the tank i.e. created a fit-for-purpose motorcycle a world away from the underperforming piece of agricultural machinery that Old Norton turned out.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Vincent motor in a featherbed frame....money no object....

tumblr_l2mlrfARx01qzzcgc.jpg
Man, that is just sublime.

BLUE(UK)

I remember my Dad once telling me that he was introduced to a Honda guy in the course of one of his jobs, who told him, in a very quiet and polite Japanese way, that the total number of C90s made exceeded the total number of motorcycles of every kind ever made by the British bike industry. Not least because they were *the* workhouse of the post-war third world, being able to go anywhere, survive anything, and run on just about anything that would burn.

It's very true though.

dunno, the most I can get out of him is "it's monkey magic"

Brilliant.

Probably a Triumph, maybe the Tiger 650 because I associate it with some very happy memories. My friend had one which he'd put the US style peanut tank on and swept back bars. Once I'd learned to brake on his BSA Starfire, instead of knocking it down a gear (I learnt on Japanese bikes), he let me ride it.

The noise, the torque, the vibration (the oil leaks, the bulbs going, cables snapping), all very evocative, fantastic bike. We once watched it start on one side of a friends garage and vibrate it's way to the other while still on the mainstand. Very impressive.

1968triumph650.JPG

Linford

Not just for him. That looks like a series 1Lambretta to me

alanl

Its an 86 engine I bought or rescued from a scrappie just before it was about to be crushed up for th ally it was totally broke the missus reckons I should have taken up golf or tennis instead an its an age related thing or not having an action man when I was a kid....................anyway rebuilt engine then had a lambretta frame modified by Frank Sanderson at Lambretta Innovations up in Preston, he has done loads of thes bike engine conversions mainly RD350 YPVS engines or even auto scooter conversions, he modified or more like built the chassis take the RG engine, major money pit but worth every penny, if I can work out how to put some pictures on here I will add some without the panels on. I was originally trying to get hold of an ADM500 or TZ750 engine as our backgound was an still is sidecar racing but ended up with the RG as they are or was easier to get hold of an cheaper. The square 4 500 is a small engine also so fits under the panels. I have added a link so you can hear it running an it shows a bit more detail

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH5tn4QhFYs

Brandane

Legendary Member
Again, not sure if this even makes the grade of classic, never mind vintage. I bought one of these in 1985, when it was only a few months old (an ex demonstrator).....

2335505460_290761190b.jpg

Honda CBX 750F. Lovely bike, but stupidly I sold it about 6 months later as I wanted a car after passing my car test.
There are still one or two of these bikes around, but they had a bad habit of wrecking their engines due to cam chain tensioner failure, so I probably wouldn't touch one now - unless it was a REALLY good example.

All this bike talk is getting me looking forward to my Easter weekend meet in York with a few biker pals. 250 miles to do tomorrow on my CBF 600F which has hardly turned a wheel since last September. It is running well though, had a wee blast the other day. Whether or not my arse is up to a long journey is another matter!

Top Bottom