I'm a jogger and now.......

how many km do i need to cycle in 24 minutes to get the same benefit as jogging for the same time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jmsprint

.........want to take up cycling. How far would I need to cycle to get the same benefit as jogging 4km in 24 minutes both on flat coastal ground. I'm sure I'll cycle for fun too but I want to make sure I ride hard enough to get the same fitness benefit. Cheers

Assuming by jogging you mean a fairly low intensity steady run then you need to aim to achieve the same 'perceived effort' when cycling for 24 minutes as you do when running. Without knowing the details of the terrain (smooth, rough, flat, hilly) and the bike (narrow well pumped up tires with no suspension vs. fat knobbly tyres with full suspension) and without knowing how far you can currently cycle at any given level of effort no-one will be able to give you a number of km...

However, if you want to make sure its roughly the same, then focus on listening to how hard you are breathing - make sure its the same for both activities.

If you want to get more sports-scientific about it then you could get yourself a heart rate monitor and determine, as best you can, you lactate tolerance heartrate and therefore your zones (google for Hunter-Coggan Zones) and then you can more or less say that you're doing the same amount of 'work' if your heartrate zone is the same.

Of course this all presupposes that by benefit you mean cardiovascular fitness; if you're looking for weight loss, strength, agility etc. then you may need entirely different measures :smile:

I run that kind of distance and cycle. I'm not sure if there is a direct equivalence, each will help the other but neither will replace the other. Average HR on my runs is higher than when I cycle. It's also continuously higher where with cycling i have peaks and troughs. Even a 15 mile ride doesn't leave me as tired as a 20 minute run but this could be because I'm not physiologically suited to running, so it's hard to compare. It also depends how fit in either discipline I am but generally you'll need to do more on a bike than a run.

Thomk

Guru
Well I rode 100k the other day and was tired at the end. The next day I was fine.

I ran 5k yesterday and was Kn******d. Today I am still kn******d!

What benefit do you want? Lose weight? Cardio? Stamina? Be honest about what you want to do it for and the advice will be more helpful :okay:

OP
OP
J

jmsprint

I've been jogging to maintain fitness, keep the beer belly in check, and hoping to live a longer life by being in good shape. I'm 60 next birthday and I'm thinking cycling will have less impact on my old joints but maintain my objectives.

woosey

I do both long runs and cycling it breaks down like this -

Running will get you the most calories per minute (i do around 65cal per KM) but i can only do around 20KM a day before i start to 'feel' it in the legs

Cycling feels easier (to me) and i can do 75km on consecutive days at a similar (slowish - 29km/h) pace without issue, after an hour off the bike my legs feel 'normal'.

Breaking that down into your question, it works out roughly for me (80KG 30y/o guy)

Running - 65Kcal per KM
Cycling - 24Kcal per KM

That's garmin with HR strap so as accurate as you can really.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Cycling at 10mph, on the flat, on a smooth surface and no wind - then I doubt you are burning many calories at all. Up that to 20mph and you are working your way through a lot ... Running is much harder than cycling though, even slow jogging is a harder workout than cycling.

I think :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cycling at 10mph, on the flat, on a smooth surface and no wind - then I doubt you are burning many calories at all. Up that to 20mph and you are working your way through a lot

That's true, it takes very little energy to propel a bicycle along the flat with no wind.

Of course, in that scenario the 'wind' is the speed of the bike.

Doubling the speed of the bike, thereby doubling the wind resistance, takes far more than twice as much energy.

Bicycles are inefficient hill climbers.

Add an incline or two, and the OP could easily use more energy on a bike than jogging the same route.

Thomk

Guru
That's true, it takes very little energy to propel a bicycle along the flat with no wind.

Of course, in that scenario the 'wind' is the speed of the bike.

Doubling the speed of the bike, thereby doubling the wind resistance, takes far more than twice as much energy.

Bicycles are inefficient hill climbers.

Add an incline or two, and the OP could easily use more energy on a bike than jogging the same route.

Is that true? The same route?

Colnago Master

When all is said and done, I'm not sure it matters.
How did you decide on a 4K run, that it just so happens takes 24 minutes? It's probably best to just ride your bike for as long as you fancy and at a speed you're happy to maintain.

Karlt

Is that true? The same route?

Yes. I was overtaken once cycling up the steepest part of Curbar Gap (about 25%) by a fell runner. A route with a lot of uphill in it might be harder work on a bike than on foot. As said, bikes are really inefficient hill climbers. Or at least the efficiency gains they have over walking/running on the flat are quickly lost as the gradient increases.

OP
OP
J

jmsprint

OK so I took my first ride today at 6am. I drove around until I found a 12k route and then returned and set off on the bike to try and do it in 24 minutes. After about 2k I knew the muscle set employed was different and although I felt my fitness would have been fine there was no way my thighs were strong enough. I turned round and completed 4k in 11 minutes. Then went for a 2k jog. My legs were knackered!! No pain no gain, more tomorrow morning!

raggydoll

Über Member
i wouldn't get bogged down on finding the prefect length of route and comparing that to how far you can jog etc.
If you fancy a jog, go for it.
If you fancy a cycle, go for it.
Some days you may only do a couple of miles.
Other day's you'll do a lot further.
As long as you enjoy it!:okay:

Colnago Master

To be honest if you go running you should be able to cycle more than 4K. It's also the most enjoyable time of year to be out. Sounds like you quit a bit too soon.

Top Bottom