I'm seeking clarification about insurance when joining British Cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have read the guide on 'insurance and cycling' in conjunction with British cycling options.

If I join British cycling:
If I have understood correctly, third party insurance will be provided at no extra cost to the BC membership?

I understand that if another road user in a vehicle collides with my cycle, 'legal assistance' will persue a claim on my behalf against the other person at no extra costs to the BC membership.

I am not sure about the various BC membership options, and was confused about this. Is my understanding of the above correct? Thank you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Correct.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have read the guide on 'insurance and cycling' in conjunction with British cycling options.

If I join British cycling:
If I have understood correctly, third party insurance will be provided at no extra cost to the BC membership?

I understand that if another road user in a vehicle collides with my cycle, 'legal assistance' will persue a claim on my behalf against the other person at no extra costs to the BC membership.

I am not sure about the various BC membership options, and was confused about this. Is my understanding of the above correct? Thank you.

Ride is the one for recreational cyclists

vickster

Legendary Member
What another member who was driving a car/van etc, or another member who was cycling?

Either. Their stance is not unreasonably that the Leigh Day legal team cant represent both parties I think. I presume CUK, LCC etc would have the same clause?

Slick

Guru
What another member who was driving a car/van etc, or another member who was cycling?

My understanding is either.

What is not covered?​

Unfortunately, the British Cycling Incident Helpline and British Cycling’s solicitors will not support a legal action:

• against another British Cycling member.
  • against a member of one’s immediate family.
  • where there is a conflict of interest between a member and British Cycling eg. where a claim may be against an organiser or official of a British Cycling registered event(2).
  • involving contractual, sale of goods and services or product liability issues such as faulty bikes or equipment (see below for information on assistance available if you have injuries which may have been caused by a defect with your bike).
  • involving criminal legal advice or representation.
  • where the incident takes place outside of Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands (see below for information on assistance available if you are involved in an incident abroad).
  • where membership was not current at the time of the incident(3).
  • where the incident involves a Ride member taking part in a competitive race or time trial.
  • where the incident involves a Commute member taking part in cycling events or group cycling activities involving multiple participants, such as races, sportives, club rides and group rides.

Slick

Guru

I believe the bottom level aka the cheapest. “Fan” doesn’t include third party insurance, it’s the next level up the ride and/or commute level that does.

Their insurance covers you if you need to make a claim against someone else but not if they make a claim against you for your wrongdoing/mistake. For example, if you knocked a wing mirror off and there was no damage to your bike or you and it wasn’t a collision.

The insurance doesn’t cover the bike from theft either.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Either. Their stance is not unreasonably that the Leigh Day legal team cant represent both parties I think. I presume CUK, LCC etc would have the same clause?

Maybe true, but the driver would have their own motor insurance which would have legal cover too.
I can’t see how cycle related cover would be relevant to someone who is driving at the time. So I suspect Leigh Day would just find themselves up against a different solicitor.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe true, but the driver would have their own motor insurance which would have legal cover too.
I can’t see how cycle related cover would be relevant to someone who is driving at the time. So I suspect Leigh Day would just find themselves up against a different solicitor.

Wasn’t me who mentioned drivers :smile:
I think it’s more cyclist on cyclist 3rd party liability stuff

presta

Guru

It's an interesting thought, but why can't the insurance company hire different law practices for each policyholder? What if two of Norwich Union's motor vehicle policyholders were claiming against each other? I can't see that this problem is unique to cycle insurance, or unprecedented.

Top Bottom