I'm Wanting to buy a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

rowan112

Why? This could be useful to someone else at some point :smile:

eh because people who i know are starting to find this thread on google and finding out my weight, i didn't want them to know.

edit: how about remove the weight part of the thread

Hello @rowan112 and welcome. Perhaps you could let us know your thoughts on the bike and how you're progressing. Might be useful for somebody else on here.

seat hurts, very hard to go up the hills even outside my house

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
The seat will hurt for a while until you get used to it and I'm afraid hills will be hard aswell! No pain no gain right, stick at it and it will get easier, and the weight will come off so long as you eat healthy. If people are giving you gip about your weight, tell them to shove it, all the more reason to keep cycling, you have friends here!
Any issues or questions, keep asking!

MarkF

Guru
I usually buy nearly new hybrids from Ebay, many people start and then give up very quickly, I bought a 6 week old Specialized Sirrus for £200. :thumbsup:

OP, buying a hybrid was the best thing I ever did, road, canal, trail.... it was great to be able to mix my riding whenever I felt like it.

Yorksman

I was in the same position last year but I started by digging out my son's old Diamondback steel framed bike, the sort you can but for twenty or thirty quid and a turbo trainer. The problem was not just my weight but also my lack of balance. Cycling on the road was a definite hazard to my own, and others', well being. Set up permanently in the shed and with a radio, I used it 3 x 20 mins per day. Once I was sure that I would stick to the regime, I got a computer and Tacx trainer so I could cycle with the films and virtual reality. When the weather got better, I bought a Trek frame from £23, resprayed it and added wheels and gears from ebay and started cycling along the traffic free greenways. This, being an aluminium frame did not take my weight easily. If I set the gears on the stand, my weight distorted the frame and caused the chain to rub on the derailleur in certain gear combinations. It's not really a problem because it was all cheaply done but when I eventually bought a well built lightweight Scott mountain bike, I was a bit cheesed off to read that I was over its weight limit. I got it at a bargain price and I have had no problems using it, but various bearings are going to wear more quickly. But, all the gears are perfect. I then got a touring bike, heavier and subtantially built and so far so good.

At your weight you have to treat your bike with respect and not stress certain parts. Don't jump out of the saddle and start slamming down on the pedals for example. You don't know what is going to buckle, or bend, or break. You don't want to be leaning too far forward with lots of weight on the handlebars because if you slam on the brake, something may fail around the stem or headset or on the brake itself. A nice upright position, a more traditional type of setup, is probably best and a steel frame.

Fortunately, there are quite a few of these sorts of bikes at very good prices 2nd hand. They will give you good service and are value for money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yorksman

anything else like anything for my bike and for my self?

Gloves! Especially when the weather gets cold.

Top Bottom