Indoor trainers—love or hate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I bought one as a panic buy in the first lockdown in case we couldn’t get out at all. Used it half a dozen times and hated it with a vengeance. I agree with @tyred , the indoor trainer helped me realise why I ride a bike, it’s all about the journey not the pedalling.

I did the same last year, after the initial novelty wore off it just became a very unpleasant chore. The only member of the family still using it is my daughter.

Bliip

I have a magnetic trainer for the cold winters here. I don't love it but I use it to keep my fitness level up especially since we canceled our gym membership for now until this covid spike subsides. I put on YouTube and break a sweat.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
At the risk of going ‘against the grain‘ here .. I absolutely love my smart trainer. I love Zwift - the formulated training schedules and the racing - even the riding with ‘pace partners’. It’s just so convenient - permanently set up, no tyre pressures to worry about or packing spare tubes etc … I‘m as keen on Winter indoor cycling as I am the summer outdoor. I agree it can get sweaty but having invested in two large fans and ventilated the room adequately even that’s not an issue. It beats sitting on your arse all day - that’s for sure :laugh:

Cards on the table, I used to always be anti-indoor training.

I'd had turbo trainers and rollers, and hated them all for all the usual reasons, boring, sweaty etc, etc.

Then earlier this year, (and after A LOT of deliberation), I found myself in the very fortunate position to be able to bite the bullet and ordered a Wattbike Atom Next Generation.

Now the turbos had always been set up in the shed, and going out in all weathers and unlocking all my shed locks was no doubt another reason I grew to hate them, but I've got the Wattbike set up in the living room now, (Mrs Smoo is an understanding woman), and it's working a treat for me. It's set up with Apple TV and my tablet, plus I can see the living room TV, so my options for audio/visual streaming and stimulation are multiple.

FWIW my cycling had diminished to almost zero in recent years, and when I did go out I found my confidence on the roads wasn't was it was, due to the amount of absolute tools driving about these days.

After getting the Atom I initially tried Zwift, Fulgaz, Rouvy etc, and settled on Fulgaz as I liked the real world videos.
I never liked Zwift TBH as I found it too gamey, and I've never ridden in groups so the social/competition side held no interest.

However, after a few weeks I found I just preferred listening to music or watching programs/films, and so I cancelled Fulgaz as well.

Now I just use the Wattbikes excellent multiple built in training programs and choose whatever audio/visual stimulus I fancy at the time.

As a result I've ridden more miles this year on the Wattbike then I've probably ridden outdoors in the last 5+ years combined, plus I've lost a stone in weight so far as well.

So, if I can be converted to indoor training then anyone can, but I will say that even with the way I've done it, it has taken a fair bit of tweaking and fiddling, messing and mauling about to get things set up and working just how I like, but it's 100% been worth it for me.

alex_cycles

Veteran
I bought a smart trainer last May and hated it straight away. Tried TrainerRoad and Zwift and didn't really get on with either. But then the weather improved and I had a fabulous outdoor season lasting May-November. It got too cold to feel safe outside at the end of November and I took the time to properly set up a permanent rig in the garage on a dedicated bike. Then, doing some group rides with club-mates on Zwift was rather fun and I got into the "game" aspect of Zwift.

Literally a game-changer. In the last month I've done about 700 miles on Zwift, collecting route badges and treating it as a video game (which it is). Finding the right "difficulty level" made a huge difference too. Once you get everything set up properly and don't have to set up/take down each time, the enjoyment factor goes up and the barriers to 'getting on with it' are removed.

I've also done a race, an FTP test and really been racking up the miles to stave off the winter weight gain (it's working so far). I've tried to get out road or gravel at least once a week too.

I see it definitely as a "both/and" not an "either/or", but playing a video game that keeps me fit and is good for my cycling can only be a good thing. It can be hard to have an easy session on Zwift though as there are so many other riders there to 'compete' with. :laugh:

I've got a Halfords (not H brand, but I'm sure it's an own brand) turbo that has six difficulty settings.

I'm not sure what to make of it tbh (had it for a few years) as on the hardest setting doesn't provide a huge amount of resistance compared to simply riding up a small hill nearby!

I kind of like the idea of zwift or similar to give me a mixed route, but being a tight Yorkshireman I immediately translate the cost into how many bikes / model trains I could buy :biggrin:

Scaleyback

Veteran
I see it definitely as a "both/and" not an "either/or", but playing a video game that keeps me fit and is good for my cycling can only be a good thing. It can be hard to have an easy session on Zwift though as there are so many other riders there to 'compete' with. :laugh:

I am with 'alex_cycles' on this, indoor cycling/training certainly has a place in my schedule.

I live in darkest, deepest North Yorkshire and freely admit to being a 'fair weather' cyclist. With 'horizontal' rain and regular winds of 15 - 20 mph +, there are many days when I do not even consider it safe to ride outdoors.
My indoor setup / pain cave / shed ^_^ has a dedicated bike on a Tacx Neo smart trainer (can replicate up to 25% gradient)

i-CqzZJ5c-L.jpg

I have streaming TV, Netflix / Amazon Prime video and NOWTV (Sky) for entertainment and a desktop PC running Zwift via a 24" monitor.

i-ftfJZBW-L.jpg

I have been on Zwift over 5 years now (I am 75 on Jan 09th next) and the possibility of being hit by a bus whilst riding
in my shed is very remote. :laugh:
The Zwift community published this article about yours truly when I was 70. I guess because of my age ? although there are many
'senior' citizens on Zwift that are 'crushing it'
70-Year-old Zwifter feels His Power
Indoor cycling on Zwift can be as easy or as hard as you wish. I climbed Zwift's Alpe d'huez when I was 73, It took me 1hr 18mins
and was bl**dy hard work.
I'm fortunate that I have this 'shed setup' I doubt i would enjoy doing this in a centrally heated house !
So, 'horses for courses' as they say.
I commend it to the house :bicycle:

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I'm fortunate that I have this 'shed setup' I doubt i would enjoy doing this in a centrally heated house !
I do my Zwift stuff in the spare room in a centrally heated house:becool: There is absolutely no way on Earth I'd do it in my shed or garage:stop:I have no fan,just open a window.Feels just like riding in Mallorca in Summer with the heating on and the temperature at 25°+:okay:
If I'm going to ride indoors I do it to be warm otherwise I might as well just ride outside:wacko:

Scaleyback

Veteran
I do my Zwift stuff in the spare room in a centrally heated house:becool: There is absolutely no way on Earth I'd do it in my shed or garage:stop:I have no fan,just open a window.Feels just like riding in Mallorca in Summer with the heating on and the temperature at 25°+:okay:
If I'm going to ride indoors I do it to be warm otherwise I might as well just ride outside:wacko:

No matter what the outside temp ( including below freezing) a few mins after starting cycling in my shed I have taken off my outer clothing and put at least one of my 3 fans on. I work hard and warm up quickly. ^_^

CXRAndy

Guru
15 mins warm up no fans, wearing shirt. Race starts, fans on full chat, sweat pouring off. Im only wearing bibs for an event. Temperature around 0°C.

When I've gone to the Alps or Tenerife, I don't cope well until Im a 1000 metres above sea level. Just too warm in the Valleys or on the coast

Zipp2001

Veteran
Gave up indoor riding years ago and play out in the woods on snow and ice now. I live where we get a good amount of snow and winter means trail riding exclusively. I do hang up the road bike because the roads use salt and it's no fun cleaning the bike after every ride. Plus, the roads tend to narrow during winter and have ice buildup, just not worth the risk.

Chislenko

Veteran
I have tried it but am bored to death after about 30 minutes. I cycle outdoors all year and if the weather really is too bad for a ride I will go for a run.

I know people say you can watch TV, videos etc but in ordinary life I don't really do either of those so can't see me wanting to do it whilst on an indoor bike.

But each to their own, the world would be a bit dull if people weren't different.

Scaleyback

Veteran
I hate exercise bikes with a passion. But I since I got a smart trainer connected to Zwift I love it. The group rides are a great way to build your stamina and have company if you want it.

I second that. I started years ago with a basic 'wheel on' trainer and I hated it. Moving onto Zwift (other training programs are available) was carthartic. Suddenly I was cycling alongside and against others. I am a competitive person and was easily motivated by riders around me. Upgrading to a 'Smart trainer' was the 'icing on the cake', with the trainer responding seamlessly to the road gradients the 'ride' became a pretty good representation of the real thing ( without the weather and traffic ^_^ )

gzoom

Über Member
Our indoor bike has totally changed my perception of cycling. I use to go 'smashing it' when ever possible, risking it all for Strava segment times etc, but with a family to share time with it wasn't that often. But since getting the indoor bike I find my outdoor/real world cycling is now much more relaxed and enjoyable as am my cycling for enjoyment rather than fitness.

All the 'smashing it' is done on the indoor bike, and I do around 45 minutes x3 per week. These aren't just sitting on the bike spinning sessions, I hit the higher HRs zones as much as I did on my road bike on a hard ride.

51785199990_f6706c67ec_w_d.jpg

51785199995_a2c2fb3011_c_d.jpg

The indoor bike sits in the main corridor in the house, there is no avoiding it if it doesn't get used for a few days......It's like the sword of Damocles :laugh:

51193247820_d7521387b1_c_d.jpg

Top Bottom