Indoor trainers—love or hate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
No matter what the outside temp ( including below freezing) a few mins after starting cycling in my shed I have taken off my outer clothing and put at least one of my 3 fans on. I work hard and warm up quickly. ^_^
I start in just bibs.I warm up quickly and sweat....a lot.
Once it gets a bit too warm I lean back and open the window.I have the bike on a mat,it has a sweat bikini fitted and I have a gym towel.
The ambient temp in the spare room is probably around 18-20°.Perfect:okay:
The reason for doing indoor cycling,for me,is to avoid the cold :okay:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I’m following this with interest as I am planning on getting a turbo in the new year. The main detractors seem to focus on the tedium, which some supporters believe things like Zwift can overcome. I am hoping to get one simply because I can’t get out as much now as I did. I have no qualms about going out in any and all conditions but right now we have kids in the house and a recent addition of a frail MiL who needs fairly constant care, meaning the house can’t be left without a carer available. With a turbo I can at least be available if needed, which is not a possibility if I’m miles from home enjoying a muddy trail.

The first wheel on dumb trainers bored me big time and I couldn't stand wearing tyres out for that boredom; I would rather go out in heavy rain etc.
I got a bit more time crunched for a bit mainly because I liked to cycle the last part of my long commutes. I then got my self a Direct Drive turbo and started interval training, first with virtual power and then with a power meter and that made it a lot more bearable but I would still rather ride outside.
Then during my chemo I upgraded to a smart turbo which gave another level of integration. During that period I was pretty reluctant to go out unless it was perfect. Although outdoors cycling crept back in helped by a very safe busway commute and very mild temperatures.
Now thankfully that has all passed and I already had the turbo for the first lockdown (I still hate that Americanism). Which made that bearable.
After all that I'll still go out in most weathers when I cycle with people but if it less than ideal and I face a solo cycle I don't mind jumping on the trainer now.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Turbos are frigging boring - I can manage 45 minutes spinning and then that's it.

I get by by (first time I have ever written 2 x by consecutively) imagining I am some hot-shot Pro storming up a long mountain climb leaving everyone in my wake. Anyone else do this?

Jody

Stubborn git
Rollers were my first purchase. Works your core a bit but you can't get much resistance.

Then I bought a turbo but quickly got fed up with it as it just didn't feel right.

Managed to bag a spinning bike from someone who I know a couple of weeks ago and it's more suited to what I need. Quiet enough for the conservatory, more resistance when needed, takes up less room and feels better having a weighty flywheel.

All 3 options are boring

Milzy

Guru
The bleak, rainy, freezy, snowy days are upon us, and there will be few decent days for riding for the next few months (granted: I am not a diehard in this respect). I have a primitive Cycleops magnetic trainer, but it’s like climbing a cliff to mount enough enthusiasm to ride the thing. I can’t really distract myself with video, etc. here because of the lack of bandwidth. Best I can do is reading a book on Kindle.

Given this, how do you maintain a positive attitude toward indoor training?
You need a higher end smart trainer so it feels realistic, a nice cave, music, big screen & even then there’s times it is hard to find motivation or enjoy the training. Sometimes though when you get into a groove it's all very worth it.

alchurch

I am using sufferfest/systm right now, I use it most days and also use the yoga and strength workouts in provides. Nothing beats getting out on the real road though, feeling the sun beating down, gentle breeze and sense of freedom , things an indoor trainer can never provide

It depends on why you cycle and what cycling means to you.

If you're cycling leisurely with no specific purpose but just to enjoy some time outdoors with cake and coffee, then it's almost impossible to maintain a positive attitude towards indoor training.

If you're cycling to get ready for events and compete (sportives, audax, crit, triathlon, whatever really) then that's how you maintain the positive attitude towards indoor training: it just makes you a better cyclist so you just deal with it head down

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The first wheel on dumb trainers bored me big time and I couldn't stand wearing tyres out for that boredom
Keep old tyres that are getting a bit too worn for use on the road. Stick them on the back wheel of your turbo bike and you can get quite a bit more use out of them. (That is assuming that you don't keep using them on the road until they fall apart!)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I can’t really distract myself with video, etc. here because of the lack of bandwidth. Best I can do is reading a book on Kindle.

Well, I'm not given that. I use all the the techy features of my turbo (video simulations, interval sessions and so on).

But in your circs, my approach would be planning. Don't just wait until you fancy a session - because you never will. Schedule it in advance. Write it down if necessary. All the same, that may not work for you.

spiderman2

Über Member
The first wheel on dumb trainers bored me big time and I couldn't stand wearing tyres out for that boredom; I would rather go out in heavy rain

yes agree

Keep old tyres that are getting a bit too worn for use on the road. Stick them on the back wheel of your turbo bike and you can get quite a bit more use out of them. (That is assuming that you don't keep using them on the road until they fall apart!)
Thankfully I don't have to bother about that faff now having a DD turbo but I want to go outside with the best (gripiest/ p'ture proof) tyres that I have. One cr@p day I might be on the turbo but the next I'd probably be on the road again. I couldn't be bothered with the faff of changing tyres/wheels or cassettes for that. It was easier when I stayed with my parents and had the space for a dedicated turbore bike.

Top Bottom