Inflating Badgers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
On my commute for the last few weeks I've had to pass an expired Badger.

After a few days it started the inevitable inflation and soon got so large that I got quite nervous passing it in case it blew and I lost a leg or something....

Anyway, after a couple of weeks of anxious journey's it started to harmlessly deflate again so all was well.

Yesterday, and my first commute for over a week, and the buggers reinflated fit to burst again ;)
Do the Highways agency go round inflating them? is that why the road tax (sorry, VED) is so high? are we funding a Badger reinflation division? ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
The first inflation was probably the gut contents, the second just general decomposition.

Eventually the bits that don't get eaten will just dry up. I found a dried out horse on the Carneddau once, it had fallen into a gully and broken its neck.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Just think, you could be riding along past it and someone in a car come charging past and get it, popping the badger and spreying the contents all over the road and you.
Throw stones at it from a distance, or poke it with a very long sharp stick

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I don't have a gun though, unfortunately and I'm not a very good aim with a stone.

Just how long a sharp stick would I need? anyone know the blast radius of a badger? it's quite a big one......

Maybe the bomb disposal people have a sharp stick attachment for one of those robots for defusing Badgers
ponder.gif

bonj2

I think I'm quite sceptical about this. Not quite sure i believe badgers do inflate - i've never seen one

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Panter said:
Do the Highways agency go round inflating them? is that why the road tax (sorry, VED) is so high?
Yes, that's inflation for you :ohmy:

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
I think I'm quite sceptical about this. Not quite sure i believe badgers do inflate - i've never seen one

Bonj, there must be quite a few things you haven't actually seen, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

They do inflate if they are still airtight (IE not been run over so that the insides come out), although probably not as much as a dead cow would.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I once witnessed a man in Sudan inflating a goat. It had just been slaughtered in the street and he needed to skin it so he cut a small hole in the skin just above its ankle, got down and blew... and blew... and blew the damned thing up, going purple with the veins on his forehead standing out, slapping the inflating carcass to help the skin separate from the body. Impressive, though I was tired so didn't wait around for it to be cooked.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rigid Raider said:
I once witnessed a man in Sudan inflating a goat. It had just been slaughtered in the street and he needed to skin it so he cut a small hole in the skin just above its ankle, got down and blew... and blew... and blew the damned thing up, going purple with the veins on his forehead standing out, slapping the inflating carcass to help the skin separate from the body. Impressive, though I was tired so didn't wait around for it to be cooked.

I saw (on telly, not for real) some Mongolians inflating a dead lamb, to get the astrakan off. Hadn't realised astrakan was lamb skin until then. The lamb was relatively small, so it was probably easier than the goat.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
pigs will puff up like balloons, and then deflate suddenly with the usual noise. Dead pig farts can be quite disconcerting on a dark night. (I've always wanted to write that sentence.)

bonj2

Arch said:
Bonj, there must be quite a few things you haven't actually seen, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

They do inflate if they are still airtight (IE not been run over so that the insides come out), although probably not as much as a dead cow would.

"if they are still airtight" being the operative word...
I'll believe it when I see it.

Top Bottom