Interview help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
[QUOTE 3026245, member: 1314"]No it's not a clumsy phrase.

And tbh anyone intending to do a Fine Arts Course as SL is, should at least know what the word aesthetics means. If I was SL's tutor reading this, I wouldn't give the person a place. For the reason SL would take the **** out of people who wanted to make a living out of being photographic artists as opposed to just being hacks.

If SL does not, at this stage in their life, knows what aesthetics means without asking on a Cycling Forum, I suggest a life as a car sale-person would be more suited. No mucking there with any of this bumptious waffle, eh. Here's a car, sell it, earn the commission. Proper work like for proper no-nonsense working people.

The cafe really does seem to have been overtaken by 70s reactionary throwback blokes and their mating partners.[/QUOTE]

A bit harsh there, SL is asking for a bit of constructive advice and you come out with that, been a bad day has it?

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I think she very well knows what "aesthetic" means. What's less clear is what "aesthetic skills" refers to in the context. Why do people post such snide comments?

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Don't take this the wrong way!

You are a "mature" student?

Therefore you have experience that younger students do not have

This is a strong point

For instance your maturity and experience would offer a stabilising influence on the course demographics?

Yes, you're right. However, she might find that she isn't the only one. We are recruiting more and more mature students every year. Most of the staff like them - me included - having mature students in the group totally changes the dynamic. This year we've had loads - and it's been one of the best years for a long time. Can't of course conclude for sure that one leads to the other, but I certainly feel that the mature students help. Some of the students can be so childish!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think "aesthetic skills" is a bit misleading regarding photography. Window dressing or fashion came to mind, or even personal appearance :wacko:
@ScotiaLass just tell them you aim, with your art, to portrait the beauty of the daily unseen. Like a SMIDSY ... OMG, this dilapidated country manor so resembles the Parthenon at twilight ... framed! ^_^

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
[QUOTE 3026245, member: 1314"]No it's not a clumsy phrase.

And tbh anyone intending to do a Fine Arts Course as SL is, should at least know what the word aesthetics means. If I was SL's tutor reading this, I wouldn't give the person a place. For the reason SL would take the **** out of people who wanted to make a living out of being photographic artists as opposed to just being hacks.

If SL does not, at this stage in their life, knows what aesthetics means without asking on a Cycling Forum, I suggest a life as a car sale-person would be more suited. No mucking there with any of this bumptious waffle, eh. Here's a car, sell it, earn the commission. Proper work like for proper no-nonsense working people.

The cafe really does seem to have been overtaken by 70s reactionary throwback blokes and their mating partners.[/QUOTE]

Really??
My mother always taught me, if you don't have anything nice or constructive to say, then don't say anything.
You presume I would take the p*** out of people just because they think differently to me, or want to be 'artists', rather than 'just a hack'?
So there's nothing in-between?
You don't know me. What an ignorant presumption!

Canrider

Guru
It's not "misleading regarding photography", or bumptious. In fact it's written right into the SQA's spec for a HND in photography. Perhaps Pale Rider would prefer 'being able to say why some shoot looks better than other shoot, and knowing how to make your shoot look better'

Profpointy

Legendary Member
as others have pointed out "aesthetics" is a perfectly reasonable word, but "aesthetic skills", come on. Not sure it's even grammatical.
"bumptious" is good word too and one I shall add to my repertoire

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3026799, member: 1314"]Pale Rider does REAL men's work as opposed to that nonsense stuff effeminates do at Uni. 'co he is a man's man and tells it like it

I apologise. It was meant at @PaleRider's lazy pub boor dismissal of the arts and for some absurd reason dragging Oscar Wilde into it.
Unfortunately there’s a disproportionate percentage of unreconstructed peeps on here - on this occasion I wanted to challenge his lazy assertion and so called on him on it.[/QUOTE]

You can't go apologising and being all reasonable on here you know. The proper next step according to etiquette is to do a comparison to Hitler based on something the previous poster hadn't actually said. This is the Internet after all

AndyRM

XOXO
I've got mad good aesthetic skills so here are some random thoughts!

Back your portfolio up with the confidence it deserves. Don't take too many pieces, I'd say between 7 - 12 should be enough for an interview.

Be absolutely ruthless with yourself about what is actually your best work - do you know someone who can look it through without having pre-judged it/know what you think is best? I learned (the hard way) that one poor bit of work can knacker an otherwise excellent representation of your abilities.

Don't be afraid to admit your weaknesses, you are there to learn after all.

You might be asked about who you consider as an inspiration or whose work you admire. Do a bit of research into them. I was asked once and said 'Saul Bass' - at the time I had no reason for this other than I thought his work was 'cool'...

Present your work properly. Don't go with some sh!tey bits of paper all flapping around. Get your pictures properly printed and mounted onto card. Don't go for a ridiculously sized print either - A3 is fine. You can carry the folio easily and won't be wrestling with a gigantic thing which turns into a sail.

Rehearse your presentation. You are, for want of a better phrase, selling yourself to these folk.

That's about all I can think of.

Good luck!

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
SL, have a read of Beauty in Photography and Why People Photograph by Robert Adams, both of which manage to tackle key aesthetic [how you see photographically and otherwise] and philosophical questions without getting all artspeaky. Also Approaching Photography by Paul Hill- I've met Paul on various workshops at Duckspool and he really knows what he's about. Good luck!:highfive:

Top Bottom