Interview

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kovu

Über Member
Hey guys I have an interview for a part time job tomorrow, only thing is I have no idea what to expect having never had a job/interview before.

Anything I need to look out for? Any tips?
Cheers guys x :becool:

Look people in the eye and make yourself comfortable ie: sort the furniture out etc to your satisfaction - to be able to see everyone...before doing the Q & A. Your talent will then shine through. Good luck.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
My old gf always got asked the sell her a pen routine for shop jobs. The bar ones seemed a bit more presentation and experience bothered. I've only ever had experience of office interviews which are a different kettle of fish.

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
All helpful guys ... ive seen the "sell a pen" on apprentice ... I could do that easily but doubt ill be asked it!

And real helpful advice Joe :becool:

Oh yeah its just a part time sunday job (with extra hours) at woolworths ... dont know what ill be doing though.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Actually on my mock interview, for the prep we were told to take a folder in and hold that so your hands didnt start fiddling and to sit up.
I went in with a folder and sat up straight and held onto the folder. The guy looks at me and says "relax mate, put your folder down, sit abit more normal":wacko:
So much for that. Gave a good interview though apparently.
Cant remember much else, but give a good hand shake and smile when you go in
Oh and when they say" where would you like to be in a few years time" say "In your job" and when they say is there any questions, ask "when can i start"
Dunno if that will help though, cant remember much of the prep:wacko:

Joe24

Kovu said:
All helpful guys ... ive seen the "sell a pen" on apprentice ... I could do that easily but doubt ill be asked it!

And real helpful advice Joe :smile:

Oh yeah its just a part time sunday job (with extra hours) at woolworths ... dont know what ill be doing though.

Anytime, there always the think of the interview naked idea to help calm nervs?:becool:
:tongue:

marinyork

Joe24 said:
Anytime, there always the think of the interview naked idea to help calm nervs?:becool:
:tongue:

Ah yes, Montaigne, a clever idea! Cultured lad!

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Yeah I dont remember much of our mock interviews just that i sat funny :becool:

But I see what you mean Joe, I do have a folder to take it, so ill use that!

edit ; I could try that ... but i laugh very easily at things, so thinking of her naked would just make me laugh! xD

marinyork

Actually the naked interview technique was carried out, in the interests of science you understand, on brainiac.

Joe24

marinyork said:
Actually the naked interview technique was carried out, in the interests of science you understand, on brainiac.

It was, and i think because the people(females especially:tongue:) were good looking it didnt work.
So Kovu, dont think of me naked, it wont help you;)

buggi

Bird Saviour
i know someone who, when asked what bad points they had, said "i don't have any". the interviewer laughed and said, "No... really, joking aside, you must have some?"

The guy sat there and looked thoughtful at the ceiling for a minute and then said, ...

"Erm... nope, can't think of a single thing".

he got the job. :becool:

my sister's answer as to why she wanted to work there [Sainsbury's] was "for the money, why else do people come to work?". she also got the job :tongue: i think for this kind of work you can get away with cheeky answers like that (although the one who said he had no bad points was applying for a lawyer's job!)

just be yourself. remember it is also a chance to see if the job suits you. just be honest with them and they will love you :smile:

snorri

Legendary Member
Working at Woolworths, they might want you to be working with cash in which case they will be looking for arithmetical skills.
I understand the trick is to admit that your arithmetic is a bit rusty, they will then set you a mental arithmetic problem to solve.
You will dismiss this little test with the comment "Oh! I'm not that rusty" and await the next question.

jasper

This is an excellant guide that I always follow:

Candidate Preparation
The client interview is the final stage of the process for the candidate. The interview process can be incredibly nerve-wracking and therefore we would like to offer a few basic tips on interview coaching.

1. Be Prepared
· Remember that everyone who is interviewing is not necessarily a good interviewer. Learn to recognise a poor interviewer and help them discover all you good points.
· Research, research, research. Absorb annual reports, press releases and company-issued material as well as reviewing magazine and newspaper articles. Check out their web-site. The more comfortable you become with the prospective employer’s public face, the easier it will be to respond intelligently during your interview.
2. Be Professional
· Take a good, critical look in the mirror. If you need a haircut, get one. Don’t think that the interviewer will not notice the spot on your suit, they will. Polish your shoes.
· This is not a good time for that brown suit with the purple stripe. Keep jewellery and cologne to a minimum.
· Stop in the bathroom before the interview and carefully check your appearance.
· Avoid personal matters whenever possible.
· Never, ever say anything negative about anyone. It makes you look bad and not them.
3. Be Polite
· Don’t interrupt. A good cue as to when to begin talking is when the other person’s lips are closed. Half open and they probably have more to say.
· Listen.
· If the interview is being conducted in a restaurant, mind your table manners. Order something easy to eat.
· Mirror the style and the conversation topics of the interviewer. If they are serious and soft-spoken, you should be too. Avoid loud laughter, profanity (even the mildest), politics or anything controversial.
4. Be Positive
· You only get one chance to make a first impression – make sure it’s a good one.
· Interviewers want to know what you can contribute to the company to improve it. Briefly review accomplishments when asked. Don’t brag and don’t exaggerate.
· Every company wants employees who are goal-oriented, career-driven, enthusiastic and motivated. Be the employee they want.
· Ask the interviewer what it would take for a new hire to succeed in the position.
· If possible, ask about the interviewer’s background. You may learn additional information about the company.
· Close on a positive note. The hiring official needs to know that you are interested, enthusiastic and excited about the position and the company. Shake hands, make eye contact and be open and accessible. If you love the job, love the company and want the opportunity, tell them!!

5. Be Practical
· When and if the topic of salary comes up, state that you know they will make a fair offer based on the requirements of the position.
· If you are offered the position during the interviewing process, and you want the job, ACCEPT IT. If the offer is not acceptable for any reason, ask for time to consider the offer.

Top Bottom