Interview

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasper

Twenty Commonly Asked Interview Questions

These questions may be familiar to you. Interviewers ask them to assess intelligence and attitudes, get information, and gauge communication abilities and to see how you think. The wise candidate will formulate brief, articulate responses, which are relevant to their own experience and philosophy and review them just prior to going to the interview.

1. Why do you want to work here?

Because you have done your homework, you know exactly why you want to work there. Organise your reasons into short, hard-hitting sentences. Stay positive – discuss the positives of the company, not the negatives of your current employer.

2. Why do you want to change jobs?

This is one of the first questions interviewers ask. Stay brief, stay positive and stay focussed. If your present position has become routine, indicate that you feel the need for more challenge. Handle interpersonal conflicts carefully. You don’t want to come across as a malcontent or a troublemaker.

3. Why should I hire you?

Don’t embark on a lengthy review of your CV. The interviewer already knows that material. Instead, emphasise your common ground: You have the qualifications the company needs to help them succeed; your work philosophy and the company’s are the same.

4. What interests you most about this position?

Give a truthful, but brief answer like “The challenge”, “The future”, “The environment”, “The competitiveness”. These responded will force the hiring official to probe more deeply and to give you another opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge of the company.

5. Would you like to have your Boss’s job?

By all means “Yes”! Ambitious, hungry people are always preferred over those who are content to stay in one place. If you feel this response is threatening to the interviewer, add “When I am judged to be qualified” or “If an opening should develop at the appropriate time”.

6. Are you willing to go where the company sends you?

This is probably being asked because the company intends to relocate you at some point in the future. If you answer “no”, you may not be hired. If your answer is “yes”, understand that once you are a trusted employee, you may not be able to exert any type of leverage to avoid those less desirable assignments.

7. What kinds of decisions are most difficult for you?

Be human. Admit that not everything comes easily. However, watch what you do say. “I have trouble deciding how many drinks to have at lunch” can be interpreted negatively. Try to stay positive. “I find it difficult to decide which of two employees must be let go” reiterates that you have had hiring/ firing authority, and are compassionate as well.

8. How do you feel about your progress to date?

Never apologise for yourself. Something like “I think I have done well, but I need new challenges and opportunities”. This says several positive things about you and your attitude about your career.

9. How long will you stay with the company?

A reasonable response would be “as long as I continue to learn and grow in my field.

10. Have you done the best work you are capable of doing?

This is best answered with some degree of self-effacement. No one wants to believe that they’ve hit their peak already. Words to the effect that, “I believe I have always tackled assignments with all my talent and energy” indicates a consistent level of excellent performance.

jasper

11. What would you like to be doing five years from now?

Tread carefully. Be sure that your stated ambitions for the next five years are reasonable goals. If you’re interviewing for the mailroom, you’re probably not going to be president in five years. Your goals to move to another company, another department or to a hut on the beach are best kept to yourself. “To be an even more valuable asset to this company” or the like is a good answer.

12. What training / qualifications do you have for this job?

Deliver a short, fact-filled summary of your two or three most important, relevant qualifications. “I have a background in accounting and I have demonstrated proven selling ability. I am also capable of handling several projects simultaneously”.

13. Explain the time gaps on your CV

Be prepared to explain any time gaps. Put a positive spin on them, if possible. Educational opportunities, family emergencies and the like are easy to explain, especially if they are non-recurring.

14. Why have you changed jobs so frequently?

Unsatisfactory responses to this question are among the top reasons why a candidate is not offered the position. If there is a clear pattern of problems (i.e. interpersonal conflicts, quality or efficiency issues), be prepared to discuss what steps you have taken to improve yourself. If the changes were youthful mistakes or changer in circumstances say so. Stay focussed and concise.

15. Have you ever hired or fired anyone?

You are being asked this question for two very important reasons. First, the interviewer is attempting to determine whether you are capable of performing this function. Second, the interviewer is probing to see if your previous positions were at a high enough level to include these responsibilities. If you have no experience in these areas, be prepared to convince the interviewer that you can carry out these difficult duties.

16. How have you helped sales / profits / cost reductions?

Have your hero stories ready, but be willing to prove that you were indeed responsible for improvements in these areas. Keep your explanations short and include figures if possible.

17. Why aren’t you earning more at your age?

This is a current favourite which can scare the daylights out of an unprepared candidate. One of the following responses should cover your situation.

· I have been willing to sacrifice any short-term rewards in order to gain valuable benefits.

· I have received (or been promised) company stock in lieu of salary increase.

· I have chosen to gain a reputation as a person who builds their career on solid, long-term achievement, not as a job hopper.

18. How many people have you supervised?

Similar to question 15, the interviewer is trying to determine the depth of your experience. Don’t exaggerate!!

19. What are the reasons for your success?

It is best to keep this answer very general, permitting the interviewer to probe more deeply, if he or she feels it necessary. Offer a brief list of the traits you believe are your best. These could be:

· Strong work ethic

· Ability to work with all sorts of personalities

· Attention to detail

· Integrity

· Sense of humour

· Articulate

· Well-educated, well-read

20. What kind of experience do you have for this job?

Summarise four or five areas of your experience, which you know will enhance your ability to perform well in your new position. Demonstrate how those traits mesh with the needs of the new company.

· My experience in new product introductions will be helpful with your marketing programs.

· My attention to detail and knowledge base will maximise the money that this company spends and minimise overspending.

We cannot over-emphasise the importance of thorough preparation prior to an interview. You may feel foolish developing and rehearsing answers out loud, but if those polished responses get you the job you want, then talk, talk, talk. You’ll feel more relaxed and will be able to respond intelligently to whatever an interviewer throws at you.

At the last interview I went to, the company owner was more interested in the fixed wheel bike I had turned up on than my top rate lathe skills. As we got further and further from the subject of whether I could build his boat engines for him, the development agency (who were providing the money) bod's head sunk further and further into his hands. Got the job though.

Mr Pig

It's very easy.

Woolworth's - Look like you are an attractive teenage girl.
McDonalds - Look like you are a teenager who is slightly retarded.
B&Q - Look like you are a nice person who is under 18 or over 60
Home Base - Look like none of the above would give you a job
Local council - Look like you are related to someone who already works there
Bank - Look like you are a greedy materialistic b******
Factory - Look ugly and desperate

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I've been filling i a job application form for Millets. It said interests. WTF do i put for that. I can just put cycling:wacko: Mum has helped me put some more stuff in there, with some of my older hobbies, and saying my aims for next year with my cycling.
Dud my work experience there, and the guy offered me a job when i did that but mum didnt wont me working hen i had my GCSE's. So they guy knows i work hard. This i think was a good interview instead of just sitting down and being asked questions:wacko:

Joe24

marinyork said:
Put you're interested in various outdoor activities such as cycling, walking, touring...

What, so lie?
Well you could say walking, i do a paper round. ;)
Touring, go caravaning all over europe with my family.

Write: "Forum advisor.My posts are always in tents, and I 'converse' easily with a wide range of idiots people across all age groups. My Nan has a budgie that likes Millets..."

Job to Joe. :smile:

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Cheers guys! All valuable stuff there ...

andddddd I got the job :smile: part time stuff! xD ]

Thanks guys!

Joe24

Kovu said:
Cheers guys! All valuable stuff there ...

andddddd I got the job :ohmy: part time stuff! xD ]

Thanks guys!

No problem;)
Aperitif, i like that. Would make the guy laugh aswell, but not take me seriouse enough :smile:
I wonted to put down:
"I wont money so i can buy a nice carbon race bike and look cool"
Thought it might not get me the job though.

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
She asked me Joe why I wanted the job and i was so tempted just to say "I want the money to buy myself a nice new shinny roadster ..."

Joe24

Kovu said:
She asked me Joe why I wanted the job and i was so tempted just to say "I want the money to buy myself a nice new shinny roadster ..."

You should of done!
What did you say to that question anyway?

longers

Legendary Member
Be honest with them, if that is what you want the money for then tell them.
People love honesty and they will remember you for it :biggrin:.

Most of us go to work to get money to buy stuff with. Bikes come higher or lower on the list for different people.

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Just said "Well slightly finanical as does anyone ... but because your such a well known brand and so many people know who woolworths is, and theres such a family vibe and no one customer is excluded ... it seems like a challenging job and worthwhile" :biggrin:

Somethign like that xD

Top Bottom