IOW Randonee 2010 Sunday 2nd May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Paulus said:
Cunobelin, I rode alongside you, without knowing it was you, for a while between Bembridge and Alverstone, and then again near Yarmouth. I was on a blue Condor Italia. There was also a couple on his and hers recumbents that I passed between Wootton and Nettlestone, did you see them at all?

Only at the start and finish

tmcd35

Thought I'd add my story of the day to the list ;)

This was my first IoW, and my first organised ride (other than last years London Skyride), and my first ride over 30 miles. I really, really wasn't expecting those hills!

I started at Wootton at 9AM and finsihed back there at 8PM!!! But then I did walk the last 3 hours, about 7 miles, from just as we entered Cowes - heading to the seafront.

My cycle computer said 57miles at the point the third flat hit. That put me out for the count. I made it on to the chain ferry at 6pm knowing the time was up and I still had a fair distance to walk.

The weather was fine right up to Whitwell and then the rain hit at that big hill just outside the village. Hurt going up with the wind and rain pelting the face and just as tough going down as my bike clocked it's best speed yet (over 30mph) and what felt like hailstones tried ripping my face to shreads.

srw said:
Kudos, incidentally, to the young lad (15-year-old?) on the Apollo mountain bike - knobbly tyres and all - who made it round just after us. That was certainly a bike I'm glad I wasn't riding!

If it the kid I saw, I'd have guessed younger - maybe 12 or 13 on the 100km course! I think I made his day on the way up the cliffs before freshwater.

I passed him on a bend going up and then after a very short while got off and started to push the bike to the summit. It didn't take long for him to roll past me and his face seemed to light up as he realised he was successfully climbing the hill on his MTB and I was pushing my hybrid.

All in all, dispite the rain, the hills, the pain, the punctures, the 3 hour walk and the poor finish time - I'm deffo going back again next year for a repeat performance and more suffering (looking forward to it :wacko:)

Top Bottom