IOW Randonee 2010 Sunday 2nd May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That was my impression as well, but I am sure that many simply did the 5k 55 km as the "08:00 Peleton ferry" was as full as usual.

Fewer recumbents as well, only spotted Paul's Bachetta and a couple of Trices

Edited- Sorry didn't mean 5 k route 1

2PedalsTez

Über Member
Real shame about the weather..
I started from Wootton and was fooled into thinking that the weather would hold out, but no, it waited for me to get to Niton, then gave the 'wet and windy' element!
That said, I prefer the clockwise route and actually enjoyed the ride up the hills going into Freshwater.
My bike looked like I had been off-roading when I got to Yarmouth (shivering was all I could do from crying).
I only saw one recumbent and a Trike. I don't know if it was anyone on here (Scotland flag), but he did struggle with wheel spin getting on the floating bridge!

Well done to the Isle of Wight Wayfarers.. great fun again.

2PedalsTez said:
Real shame about the weather..
I started from Wootton and was fooled into thinking that the weather would hold out, but no, it waited for me to get to Niton, then gave the 'wet and windy' element!
That said, I prefer the clockwise route and actually enjoyed the ride up the hills going into Freshwater.
My bike looked like I had been off-roading when I got to Yarmouth (shivering was all I could do from crying).
I only saw one recumbent and a Trike. I don't know if it was anyone on here (Scotland flag), but he did struggle with wheel spin getting on the floating bridge!

Well done to the Isle of Wight Wayfarers.. great fun again.

Mea Culpa....

Marathon Supremes and the chain ferry's slick surface was not a good combination.

I'm proud of myself for completing the route (which I'm counting as 70 miles including the journey to the start and back) but my lack of experience (not enough layers for one thing) was not helped by the weather and my rather heavy, rigid bike. After 50 miles or so I could no longer move my fingers in my right hand from the vibration transmitted through my forks. It was making changing gear a little difficult.

A poor workman blames his tools I know, however I do need to do something, as well as practice more for next time.

mistral

Guru
Dave Davenport said:
Started from Cowes at 9.00 and managed to get to Freshwater before the worst of the wind and rain arrived, total time including tea stop and p**ctuers about five and a half hours, pretty nice ride all in all.

IOW ABC ....That's automobiles, boats & cycles ...

Me MacB & Bollo eventually started after the cycle from Winchester the ferry & check in at around 10:30. We didn't manage to get to Freshwater before the worst of the wind and rain arrived, total time including tea/beer/nicotine stops .. . don't ask.

We opted for a sedate pace, to best take in the scenery and wildlife :laugh:

As we approached the southern reaches the weather kicked in and we started to get gently refreshed then the gusts started and soon we were being shot blasted by the near horizontal rain.

Opting to luncheon at a pub (MacB needs his special fuel) we decided to make the stop “just over this next hill” (we discovered the IOW has lots of these). This turned out to be a bit of a marathon as we encountered mile after mile of rural wilderness punctuated by the odd lonely cluster of farm buildings.

Following lunch, it was now late afternoon, we realised that the ferry at Cowes was still some way off and tired legs were going to struggle to make one at any reasonable hour. To save the gory details, Bollo sped ahead, and after some sweet talking, Mrs Bollo came to the rescue and we were able to get a lift back to Winchester.
Perhaps not our finest cycling endeavour, but despite the wind & rain we had a good day out lifted by the great company.

Thanks chaps! And a very special mention to Mrs Bollo!

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
What happened, that was a nightmare, in the physical sense, the company of Mick and Paul was as good as ever. As for Mrs Bollo and the rescue effort to avoid us cycling back from Southampton to Winchester, I am grovellingly in her debt for ever. So, where did it all go wrong?:-

Mistral collected me in the morning and we drove down to Winchester to park at Bollos, mission successful. Then we had the 15 miles to cycle to the ferry, aiming for the 0900 one. That's where it started to go wrong, after 7 miles I'm sweating like mad, shaking a bit and feeling very nauseous, we weren't going fast either. Cue discussions, instigated by me, around whether I should get on the ferry or get on a train home. At this point I was wondering how I was going to reach Southampton. Still we made it and I was feeling a bit better, I'd also been really looking forward to this ride. So ferry it was with the other two reassuring me that it would be fine and I wouldn't be a burden. They were partially right, it was fine due to their patience and support but, boy!, was I a burden.

The ride started well, I was feeling better than at any other point that morning, and the weather was ok. That didn't last, the weather changed just after Bembridge. Prior to this I also had a really unsettling experience which our collective wisdom has decided was a 'resonance shimmy'. Coming down the first serious hill(not fast I was keeping it under 30mph) the front of my bike started to behave with a mind of its own. I have no idea how I didn't crash as it felt inevitable at one point. A guy that had been behind me queried what had happened as my bike had suddenly started shaking like mad. I still don't know, I had been thinking front puncture, broken handlebars/forks/something, it really felt like the front of the bike was about to disintegrate. Couldn't find anything wrong and, by the end of the ride, I'd almost regained my confidence.

So the weather kicked in and just got worse and worse, I have no idea of wind direction as it only ever seemed to be in my face or across us. My lower half was also rather under dressed for the occasion, I got very cold. This wasn't helped by the fact that I wasn't in shape to overcome the cold with extra effort. The ride itself was stunning in particular some roads up and down some monumental white cliffs. Sadly I was in no shape to fully appreciate this as I seem to have been running on empty from about the half way point. Mick and Paul were absolute stars and I just plodded away at the back. My entire body aches today, I feel like I cycled 180 rather than 80 miles. But I'd go again, earlier ferry, correct attire and hopefully not feeling ill.

I must mention the final run in to Cowes, Paul had gone on so just Mick and I. Wow that was tough, even fresh and fit I think it would have been tough. An interminable promenade where the wind was trying to make me cycle backwards, dead flat and I was struggling to reach 10mph. Thankfully it came to an end to be replaced by, near vertical, cliffs that some joker had put some tarmac on.

Hindsight - well we had no mechanicals, no accidents and we all got home safe and sound, though Bollo tried to put the mockers on this with a Stirling Moss impersonation:evil: In reality my better choice would have been to bail on reaching Southampton. Optimism around how I'd get better as the day went on, etc, was ill founded. I knew better but was blinded by my desire to do the ride.

Finally, if you ever want to do a ride that's totally beyond your current physical state and the weather is too much for your chosen attire. Then make sure you do it in the best of company, I was lucky enough to be in that position....cheers guys

I suggest you all contact Ian and get a faired Catrike for next year!

On a serious not though, I left Wootton and had a few miles into Bembridge and the first checkpoint before heading off again when the weather turned. It was then a section where it wasn't quite wet enough for a waterproof, but too wet for a windproof. Good news is that the fairing kept off the worst of the cold and wet from below shoulder level, and helped a lot with the wind, especially along that stretch at Cowes

Still got to Whitwell with no problems, although the smugness of being able to corner fast and stable on a trike was tempered by the sad tales of crashes. (I hope the "roadie" who was being treated by an ambulance at Blackgang is OK and recovering.)

After that a long and occasionally muddy slog along the south coast, one section where there was some kind of works going on was about half a mile of liquid mud and gravel.

Eventually made it back to Wootton and home....... with a small problem getting on the Cowes Ferry. Trikes are easier to ride than push. Got half way up the ramp and stopped. Then tried to carry on . With no grip I was just spinning - Thanks to those who helped with this embarrassing moment!

Even though it was not the best year, it is the first "bad weather" for some years, and preferable to the freezing mist of a couple of years ago.

Archie

Errrr.....
Boy oh boy, there's some hills on that Island! Praying for relief towards the end but there was none.

Caught the 8:00 Pompey ferry with my mates: One on a reasonably nippy Dawes city bike, one on a mountain bike and me on my Subway 8. Weather was fine through Bembridge, but by the time we came out the checkpoint at Alverstone it was looking threatening and the gilet I'd removed earlier went back on. After this it was apparent the mountain bike was going to slow us down as he struggled to keep up each climb. After it levelled past Ventnor we got back together and hit the pub for lunch at Niton. (Pork and leek Baguette with onion, as you ask).

After this it was the climb up Blackgang, with the weather clearly deteriorating as we did. At the top I sent the guys on whilst I put on my rain jacket. I'm so glad I did as the descent was nasty; cold with what felt like hail pelting my face. I wasn't popular at this point, having suggested the ride. Was even more unpopular as the route took us inland again to mud covered rural tracks. I decided my overshoes were a good idea at this point. Fast mate had alread motored on, trying to keep warm, so I sent slow mate on.

The weather started to relent as we negotiated Brighstone, so by the time we reached the cliffside climbs before Freshwater it was just cold. After the first climb fast mate remarked how it had warmed him up whilst we waited for slow mate at the crest - I can imagine his heart sinking as he came through the cutting to see us and the next climb waiting!

After that things flattened out (relatively) so we plodded on, fast mate forging on, me keeping slow mate in sight behind. Coffee and cake at Yarmouth, and on for the final push. Things were feeling relatively pleasant again by now, but then we hit Bunt Hill outside Cowes (Mis-spelling, surely?) which heralded a whole series of sapping climbs. Finally along the seafront and I was praying for the chain ferry as we went, but oh no, the route sent us back up another horrible climb around a corner. At this point I started ranting. Still, eventually we all made it up and over for the ferry and the penultimate checkpoint.

We knew from studying the route profile on the maps they supplied that we had two more biggish climbs from East Cowes. By now we were shattered but determined to finish, and agreed to meet at the checkpoint after going our own pace. Slow mate was dropped fairly quickly on the first climb. Fast mate dropped me after I followed my usual tactic of spinning hard on the steep sections and backing off (considerably) when the gradient eased. Eventually I was over them and on the final run into the checkpoint, but by now even the slope up to the campsite was a challenge! Still, come this far so dug in once more and eventually made the checkpoint, to be photographed by fast mate. Slow mate made it a bit later, just under the 6:00 p.m. cutoff after 9 hours. A quick chat confirmed we had all made it without walking up any of the hills.

So shattered, sweaty and mud spattered we headed back for the ferry. We'd planned a pint back on the mainland but agreed that at this point a bath and some dinner was the priority. Very pleased to have completed my first "epic" ride.

johnnyh

Veteran
was a good ride despite the weather, cycled to the Isle on Saturday, stayed over in Yarmouth, round the island on Sunday and then came back today. 3 days of nice rides, and fair play to the B&B owners who provided me with a hose to clean myself and the bike down at the end. Liquid mud over everything!

the high winds and rain during the last leg made for interesting climbs, and on the downhills towards Freshwater I almost got blown clean off the bike twice!

very good food Saturday night in the Chinese at Freshwater, and again last night at the Wheatsheaf in Yarmouth.

Biggest disaster.... unpacking at the guest house and realising I hadnt packed trousers!!! thankfully I was lent a pair by my hosts.. was either that or night out in lycra :tongue:

yoyo

Well done to everyone who attempted the IOW Randonee on Sunday. I must confess to being a big chicken and stayed at home. All the descriptions above bring back memories of my first cycle round the island in July 2008 - I can feel the pain and the exhaustion and that was without the added problems of dreadful weather and mud.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
By the time I got to Yarmouth, I felt like i was riding the Paris-Roubaix on a bad day. I was covered in mud, cold, wet and a bit fed up. I carried on though finishing at Wootton in my slowest ever time. One of my cycling buddies crashed next to the man who was down at blackgang, when the wind picked him up and deposited on the road next to the guy on the stretcher who had a rather bad shoulder injury, collar bone? but part of whatever was sticking out. Hope he feels a bit better today.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
The IoW is one of those rides that you can't 'read' from a map or an elevation profile - there a few hills that stand out, but the real hard work comes with dealing with the constant flow of 10m ups and downs. Add some wind and rain and the south of the island in particular seems to take a shift several hundred miles north. In those conditions, it's a hard ride.

Worst bit was definitely the descent down from Blackgang. The crosswind was a real danger. I'm usually heavy enough to plant the bike firmly on the road, but I was blown across the entire width of the lane at one point. Luckily there was no silliness from the thankfully light holiday traffic.

Tip o' the hat to MacB. Once the decision to start the ride had been made, he kept going even though he clearly wasn't feeling well. It was a tough-as-boots performance. Hope you're feeling better, Al. Thanks also to Mick the the good company. I'll admit to being someone who likes riding on my own, but this one reminded me why I should do more social stuff.

As for my rapid driving back from Southampton, MacB was looking so deathly and grey I was worried I might have to explain to plod the cadaver in my passenger seat.:smile:

Gold bragging rights to anyone who got round yesterday!

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Paulus said:
By the time I got to Yarmouth, I felt like i was riding the Paris-Roubaix on a bad day. I was covered in mud, cold, wet and a bit fed up. I carried on though finishing at Wootton in my slowest ever time. One of my cycling buddies crashed next to the man who was down at blackgang, when the wind picked him up and deposited on the road next to the guy on the stretcher who had a rather bad shoulder injury, collar bone? but part of whatever was sticking out. Hope he feels a bit better today.

When we finally stopped for food I was chatting to a guy who was retiring having come off. Tall, young, thinnish, white top or base layer with both hands bandaged and a bloody knee. He was saying that his group had 6 punctures so far, only 4 tubes and then his off, and that finished him for the day. But he was 'lucky' enough to have come off where an ambulance was already treating another rider...this was Blackgang as well....was this your friend? I left him with the potential to negotiate a 'taxi' ride via the musicians girlfriend:biggrin:

Reading other posts I'm glad it wasn't just me being wimpy about the sidewinds. After my earlier speed wobble thingy, every little shimmy had me choking the bars in a death grip. My hands are actually aching today from how hard I choked on the bars, probably the wrong approach and no doubt helped to sap what little strength I seemed to have.

Bollo, I was actually jealous of you and Mick riding along and chatting at times. Within reason I'll happily ride at any pace as long as I can natter away. Though I'm sure I made amends when we were stopped:biggrin:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Bollo said:
Gold bragging rights to anyone who got round yesterday!

A tandem's-worth of gold bragging rights here, please.

Bollo, MacB and mistral - I think you passed us while we were lunching (and sheltering) in Whitwell. There was a trio of cyclists roughly answering to your description pulled off the road just after the turn-off at the bottom of Niton, who pulled away just as we stopped behind you. We then passed the same trio a few miles later, paused by the roadside. Hello if it was you.

Archie - I saw the Carrera Subway 8 a couple of times (there can't have been more than one) - nice to see another hub gear in a day of roadies.

We got the 0800 cyclists' special out of Southampton and were promptly dropped on the long drag out of East Cowes - not helped by stopping for 10 minutes to faff before we set off. We did manage one overtake - of a young girl being chaperoned up the hill by her father.

As someone else has said, there's not a mile of flat road until you get very close to Bembridge. Murder for most, absolute hell for a tandem. But I was very relieved to have the Rohloff and be able to change down easily before hills. We passed a lot of people pushing who'd obviously been stuck in high gears and unable to change.

The route profile provided (which is rather, ummm, smoothed out) suggested Niton Down would be the worst bit. It wasn't. Niton was a (relative) pussycat - just twiddle a low gear and enjoy the views. And unlike some, the hill down from Niton was OK for us - the extra weight of the extra body plants the bike very firmly on the tarmac.

The long drag up towards Freshwater, on the other hand, was draining. Too many miles in the legs, a false summit that I didn't draw my stoker's attention to (so that she kept going), and a vicious cold cross-wind very nearly did for us.

We only overtook a handful of people all day on the road. A couple of roadies were taking it easy (at least that's their excuse) on the cycle path into Yarmouth - they were easy scalps for a touring tandem. And then on the long straight downhill towards Newtown I'm afraid adrenaline took over, we went into what passes for racing crouches on flat handlebars and motored past part of a large group.

I knew there was going to be a sting in the tail, but the three little rises marked on the map in the last few miles were comparatively easy. What I hadn't anticipated was the chevron up around Gurnard, nor the blast from a cold headwind keeping our speed on the (pretty flat) Esplanade down to 6mph.

We finally finished in 9.5 hours, haring round from the chain ferry to the Solent ferry to scrape the 1830 sailing, having left our cards with another rider just in case the checkpoint had stayed open late (more in hope than expectation!) Fortunately a busload of visiting Indians was later than us and so they'd held the ferry for a few minutes.

We rode 100% of the course, and in better weather and with less faffing could have finished well within time. In retrospect I should have insisted on going back up to the hotel room to abandon our locks, rather than take them with us. Perhaps not having 60 laden miles in our legs from Saturday would have helped too. But we did succesfully complete 50 miles on Monday, too, up and through the South Downs (Winchester - Arlesford - towards Basingstoke then turn right), and could have carried on a while longer. My legs today feel better than they have any right to feel.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

srw said:
A tandem's-worth of gold bragging rights here, please.

Bollo, MacB and mistral - I think you passed us while we were lunching (and sheltering) in Whitwell. There was a trio of cyclists roughly answering to your description pulled off the road just after the turn-off at the bottom of Niton, who pulled away just as we stopped behind you. We then passed the same trio a few miles later, paused by the roadside. Hello if it was you.

Sounds vaguely familiar, I certainly remember a tandem, I think we stopped for food just after the second time you passed us.

Agree about the smoothing of the profile on the map, those last bits were easier than I expected. But, like you, the promenade and subsequent climb got us totally by surprise. Good job on cyling the whole course as well, I saw many walkers over the day. Sadly I weakened in Cowes, that steep switch back after the promenade caught me in the wrong gear. Had to push for the last 10 yards to get round the corner:blush:

Shame I was feeling so rough on the day otherwise I'd probably have taken the opportunity to chat to a tandem on one of the climbs.

Top Bottom