IOW Randonee 2010 Sunday 2nd May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2PedalsTez

Über Member
Jon,

GO FOR IT!!
I rode this last year and was probably in the same place as you are now.
I was born and bred on the island, so it was something of a homecoming for me (having moved off the island many years ago). I met up with a mate and we rode at our own pace, passing some riders and others passing us. The weather was fantastic with views to boot. This isn't a race and you have plenty of time to complete it at your own pace, so enjoy it.
Just don't do what my mate did and forget to take any food or water bottles!:wacko:

Thanks guys, I might give it a crack after all.
On my 50 mile days I suppose giving a presentation to a room full of radiographers between the two legs of the journey counts for something. I might get a early ferry to give myself plenty of time, if you see my struggling smile and wave as you go past (I look surprisingly like my user pic, on a carrera road bike).

Don't think I'm going to make this as I had an epileptic fit on saturday and hit my left kidney when I fell. Since then I have not been able to move my upper body very much so riding a bike at the moment is out of the question. Hope to be back on my bike soon though.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Headsup people.

Network Rail have struck again and there's no direct train service between London and Southampton - replacement bus service between Basingstoke and Eastleigh. Details here

HG - sorry to hear about your fall. GWS.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Anyone have any advice about how early to arrive for the Southampton ferry? We're booked on the 8am sailing.

Presumably registration is reasonably efficient - it had closed via the website by the time we got around to it.

Weather looks a bit iffy....

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
srw said:
Anyone have any advice about how early to arrive for the Southampton ferry? We're booked on the 8am sailing.

Presumably registration is reasonably efficient - it had closed via the website by the time we got around to it.

Weather looks a bit iffy....

We're going for the 0900 ferry and aim to arrive at approx 0830 and we'll be buying tickets on the day.

I was in London today visiting a Cyclotron, so had a training session on the way home....

Three pints of Goddards!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
MacB said:
We're going for the 0900 ferry and aim to arrive at approx 0830 and we'll be buying tickets on the day.

So you'll be overtaking us somewhere in the first dozen miles, then?

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
srw said:
So you'll be overtaking us somewhere in the first dozen miles, then?

I seriously doubt that, not with 'fatboy' Bollo in tow:evil: Actually I get the full TdF experience from these rides due to my lack of fitness, the slightest incline will see me begging for mercy.

It should be myself, Bollo and Mistral, I'll be on a weird concoction of hybrid and splayed drop bars, with a rack and a red(or, if wet, yellow) rack pack bag. My avatar is a piccy of me, so holler if you see us anywhere along the way:biggrin: Mistral should be on a red bike and probably a Carradice saddlebag, don't know what Bollo will be riding.....Al

If we don't see you have a great day

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
MacB said:
I seriously doubt that, not with 'fatboy' Bollo in tow:evil:
C***!
MacB said:
Actually I get the full TdF experience from these rides due to my lack of fitness, the slightest incline will see me begging for mercy.
You are going to find the IoW just precious. And it'll be pissing down. And windy. Yeah cycling!

MacB said:
It should be myself, Bollo and Mistral, I'll be on a weird concoction of hybrid and splayed drop bars, with a rack and a red(or, if wet, yellow) rack pack bag. My avatar is a piccy of me, so holler if you see us anywhere along the way:biggrin: Mistral should be on a red bike and probably a Carradice saddlebag, don't know what Bollo will be riding.....Al
I'm on the recently repaired vanity bike - Shiny Ti with a small Ortlieb saddlebag filled with amphetamines and horse tranquilliser Tixylix. And I'm big boned, not fat. I'm also dragging along a non CC chum, Jim. He's alright I suppose.

Norm

Bollo said:
You are going to find the IoW just precious. And it'll be pissing down. And windy. Yeah cycling!
Wow, I've just seen the BBC forecast for Cowes. Heavy rain and 29mph winds from the north east. That's going to make the lumpy bits from Freshwater to Cowes pretty pants to ride.

Happy riding, chaps!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Bollo said:
C***!

+1. This will be my first time doing the round-the-island route clockwise, have the feeling I'll be wishing it was anticlockwise again. Metcheck forecast slightly less unpleasant than the Beeb's. Hopefully the Jetstream will behave itself regarding chain drops this time, lost count last year. And sunburn looks highly unlikely :rofl:

Top Bottom