IOW Randonee 2010 Sunday 2nd May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
setting off tomorrow to ride to the coast, and looking like gonna get rained on for 3 days.... ah well, beats working!!! :bravo:

mistral

Guru
Yes, I'll be there too, I'll have to dig out my winter gear for this one. Cold, wet & windy, could be a tough one, especially around the exposed headlands.

johnnyh

Veteran
I wasnt gonna bother with wet weather gear, given that skin is waterproof, but it aint looking good... wetsuit - check, flippers - check, ark - check!!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Norm said:
Wow, I've just seen the BBC forecast for Cowes. Heavy rain and 29mph winds from the north east. That's going to make the lumpy bits from Freshwater to Cowes pretty pants to ride.

Oy vey.

We're parking up somewhere in Surrey on Saturday morning, doing from there to Southampton via the Test Valley on Saturday, round the IoW on Sunday and then back to Surrey via Eastleigh on Sunday. 55 miles, 100km-ish, 48 miles.

All as "proof of concept" that in a month's time we can do an average of 60 miles per cycling day across France - see signature link for details!

srw said:
Oy vey.

We're parking up somewhere in Surrey on Saturday morning, doing from there to Southampton via the Test Valley on Saturday, round the IoW on Sunday and then back to Surrey via Eastleigh on Sunday. 55 miles, 100km-ish, 48 miles.

All as "proof of concept" that in a month's time we can do an average of 60 miles per cycling day across France - see signature link for details!

You could have just parked at my house lol, 20 min walk from the ferry terminal. Good practice though I agree if you're off to France for abit.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
redjedi said:
You may need to get a forensics team to add a few years onto that pic before you go looking for Al :laugh::laugh:

Think of the bit at the end of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' where all the Nazis' faces melt.

StuAff said:
his will be my first time doing the round-the-island route clockwise, have the feeling I'll be wishing it was anticlockwise again.

I've done clockwise with the prevailing South Westerlies blowing hard and the run along the bottom of the island was cruel. At least it looks like its coming from the north this time, which means a certain amount of shelter until we hit the coastal bit towards Cowes at the end <accepts award for most amount of wishful thinking in a single post>

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
redjedi said:
You may need to get a forensics team to add a few years onto that pic before you go looking for Al ;):biggrin:

Oh, your card is so marked now, any more and you'll start to topple DavyW off the most wanted list:biggrin:

mistral said:
Yes, I'll be there too, I'll have to dig out my winter gear for this one. Cold, wet & windy, could be a tough one, especially around the exposed headlands.

Was that a euphemism?

If so keeping it in your shorts will be warmer.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Heading down to the island tomorrow ready for the Randonnee - been checking the weather for the last couple of days hoping it was going to change - not looking good though is it?!

I was meant to be doing it with 4 others but 1 by 1 they've ALL dropped out because of either illness or the weather forecast, so looks like I'll be doing it on my own now!

Will be starting at Alverstone - good luck to everyone!

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
well, looking drier, though still heavy showers potential, but very windy. Mistral's picking me up at 0530 then we'll be leaving the car at Bollos to cycle to the ferry. My wife has baked me some fresh flapjack with chocolate and raspberries....it's her fault I'm not skinny:biggrin:

Really looking forward to this, hope to meet a few more of you on the route.....Al

It seems I've bagged a group to ride with so I should be struggling around the island tomorrow after all. I'm pretty bad at making progress in high winds so it'll be interestiing if nothing else.
I should be with the Portsmouth North End club lot looking like a slightly less illustrated version of my avatar.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'll probably bail on this. Had enough of being damp this morning to last the whole weekend, and it's not like I haven't done any riding...All that and I'll probably be sleeping very soundly when I should be getting ready for the ferry....

Edit: Yup, glad I stayed in bed. Doesn't look too bad out there, would have liked to have gone over the water, but I really needed the extra kip...

Started from Cowes at 9.00 and managed to get to Freshwater before the worst of the wind and rain arrived, total time including tea stop and p**ctuers about five and a half hours, pretty nice ride all in all. Numbers seemed to be at least 50% down on normal, including our club, too many people scared off by the doom and gloom weather forecast I suppose.

Top Bottom