iphones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
bonj said:
just get insurance for it, it covers accidental damage. Or just try not chucking it around :rolleyes:;)
I've heard N95s are great though, they apparently run windows CE, so the world's your lobster. (and they've got GPS)
The N95 has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack and a mini USB socket so it is more user friendly.

I don't chuck it around, except on to the sofa, but the main bug bear is workshop dust getting into the camera and software problems. I have insurance but each time I have had to argue for the £14.99 excess to be waived on the software failures. I think it is a bit mean to make me pay excess for a software failure.

I am going to have to play with an N95 for a bit to find out if I like it.

Somebody at work has just got one from his Dad. O2 phoned up and asked if he wanted the new one but never asked for the old one back, so he gave it to his son and he unlocked it. Looks nice and keeps him quieter, reduces his whining.

Danny

Legendary Member
Friends who have them love them - but they tend to be Apple-heads to begin with.

If you just want a new MP3 player I'd just go for the new iPods which have a lot of the iPhone menuing features built in, or an iPod classic which will be cheaper but just as good.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Some of them come with an adaptor so you can use normal headphones. I'll have a look to see if I have a spare one and send it you if you want. Remind me in a couple of days if you don't hear anything.
Thanks for the offer.;)
I probably won't be needing it as I am thinking of upgrading. The hands free lead has given up now and I don't have much music on it anyway as I can't listen to it easily. I have a really old Sony MP3 player to use at the moment.

domtyler

Über Member
Five people have now got them in my team at work, a bit annoying as they have formed a mini iphone club! ;)

I have denied myself a top notch mobile for the past four or five years now but am starting to get the urge again. I am going to wait for a bit and get the N96 though.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
No offense but some of you are talking tosh. The original Iphone had the recessed headphone socket, but the 3g Iphone has a standard headphone socket so adaptors are not necessary. Had one from day one, and upgraded to the 3g version on July 11th also. Only issue I have with it are the headphones and no full remote with all functions yet for when ones phone is in one pocket.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I have one too, it was given to me last xmas. The O2 contract at the time was £38 for 200 minutes I think.... I thought no way I'd pay that much so I learnt how to unlock it and put an Orange Pay as You Go sim card for a while but I've taken a contract now with o2, 200 min + 400 sms for £15 - cheaper than pay as you go for me.

The phone is quite good but you must get it jail broken to enjoy 3rd party software applications. I have a few very useful apps.

I believe you must take a contract with the 3G new phone.... with the old one there was no time limit to take an iPhone contract. I bet people will find a way around that too :becool:. I love cycling with it, have over a 1000 songs and a phone in one unit.

If I could not have 3rd party apps then I don't think I would be quite as happy.

Jail braking it and unlocking is quite easy, the software is available free on the internet, yet some people will charge up to £50 to unlock it.

Batzman

bonj said:
i'm not after it for a phone, really, I'm after it 'cos I want a new mp3 player.
So i had thought of getting an ipod. I could get an ipod nano for, about, £120?
Alternatively i could get an iphone for £99 on a £30-a-month contract with O2. Which is an mp3 player, but aswell as a phone it's also an internet browser, email sender, camera, and GPS.
I would have to pay a bit to end my current contract but not that much and when you look at it like that it seems good value.
I'm not really that interested in the politics of 'tempting you to upgrade' and what not, i'm just interested in how effective it is at what it does and how good the experience of using it is.

You could always get a Blackberry curve - they play MP3s (although you'll need to get an SD card to put them on), have a standard 3.5mm audio jack, and GPS, and they come for free with certain contracts :ohmy:

the iphones are nice, but i wasnt willing to pay 280 pound for it, and 35 a month for 18 months (this was last sept) so ipted for an lg viewty- very happy with it, impressive specs etc, bit fatter than the iphone, but mine was free, 30 pound a month, and only 12 month contract, and now, from the phones sight, theres a hell of a lot of things you can hack into and personalize.- dont think id swap for a iphone.

it may not have large internal memory, but i have 8gb card, and you can now get 16 (but these are pricey) and soon 32 gb cards...
it doesnt have a 3.5mm jack, but has an adapter with one on the wired hands free..- but i just use a stereo bluetooth headset..

jonathan ellis

got the new version, pleased with it. I'll see if I'm still happy with it after a few more months! I'm waiting for tomtom to do their thing with the gps

cannondale boy

Über Member
Iphones + rip off = kerching $apple$. I feel sorry for the the folks that bought the first apple iphones that don't contain 3G, which does help if you don't have the internet at home.

Like all mobile phones they pretty much have a battery that you can replace once the juice gets low...with the iphone you have to send the phone some where to get someone to open the iphone as you can't do it yourself...which results in not having the phone for a couple of days.

Personally i wouldn't get one...mobiles are meant for two things phoning or texting.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

hmmm... well i went for a nokia N95 on the end and got it on a contract on 3.
It seems the same as the iphone pretty much but with a better camera, and a cheaper contract than the one i could have got an iphone with.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have decided to go for the Nokia 6220 as the N95 isn't available free on my contract.

The other option was the Sony Ericsson C902 but it lacks a calculator, of all things!

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
cannondale boy said:
Iphones + rip off = kerching $apple$. I feel sorry for the the folks that bought the first apple iphones that don't contain 3G, which does help if you don't have the internet at home.

Like all mobile phones they pretty much have a battery that you can replace once the juice gets low...with the iphone you have to send the phone some where to get someone to open the iphone as you can't do it yourself...which results in not having the phone for a couple of days.

Personally i wouldn't get one...mobiles are meant for two things phoning or texting.

I have a 2nd generation iPhone and I don't really miss 3G at all. I used to have a Nokia N73 3G and I hardly ever used the internet on that, however, with my 2G iPhone, connected to my wireless internet I make use of the internet every day.

There is not an easy way to change the battery, but, that is not such a big deal for me... to let somebody change the battery evry 18 months or so is not a problem. Maybe by the time the 18 months is up I will be going for another phone... who knows? :eek:

The point here is that the iPhone has taken mobile phones to another dimension. There are so many things that an iphone does much better than a normal mobile phone.... the fact that it takes probably 1/4 of the time to boot than my old Nokia N73 or that it crushes 1/16 of what my last two Nokias did. A proper calculator, a proper note pad, a proper clock, calendar... so much more business like. When you can add applications and tailor the phone the way you like to work with it then you could never consider another phone ( at the moment ).

The Blackburry looks like a nice phone but I don't know easy it's to modify it the way you can make the most of it.

With the iphone, some people like games and have 20 games, other people like chatting (line MSN Messenger) other people watch films, etc. You can modify the iPhone for your particular needs.

Not sure I would buy an Apple Mac computer though :ohmy:.

Top Bottom