Irun to Gerona in six days.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
now - the camera was a bit of a dead loss - or, rather, the whole click and point thing proved a mite too 'techno' for yours truly. So, apart from the photograph of Susie there's really only two that make any sense....

The first is a picture of the bike accommodation down to Hendaye. I think that there are 12 spaces on each train, and four trains a day, three of which can be tacked on to the end of a morning Eurostar crossing. Alternatively one could book the bike on to the night train to Hendaye.
iruntiogerona004_zpsac3c08e3.jpg

The second had us puzzled. Then we remembered that I'd taken it on the second day. As in the 'flat' day, Ah, yes, that flat......
iruntiogerona014_zps1315b8ee.jpg

tiermat

Fantastic report, I really enjoyed it and am looking, even more now, to returning to that area in April next year.

On a route note, I think you missed out on a fabulous end to the ride by not taking the Vies Verde from Olot to Girona. Although it is an old railway track re-purposed as a bike (and walking) route, it's surface is well graded, there are plenty of refreshment stops (apart from, note, on a Sunday) and has ZERO traffic.

As for organising a large group ride over there, it will, probably, be harder than you think. The first time I went I was solo, the second time with one other and next year there is going to be three of us (unless I can persuade any others to join in*). Small groups is the way to go, especially if you are of a similar ability. Any other advice would be superfluous as you know all about group rides (organising cafe stops, sleeping arrangements etc).

*At the risk of breaking the rules, there is a thread for the trip next year, entitled "El Segedors"**, over on the other forum that starts with Y, if you are capable of covering ~300miles in 5 days, and are not afraid of UP, then it could be for you! .
**Ask a friendly (in my experience, other than the odd taxi driver, they all are) Catalan.

Sketchley

Über Member

Even that wouldn’t work entirely. I reckon that the fastest amongst us could climb the eighteen kilometres to the Coll de Canto in an hour and a quarter. Others, riding lightweight bikes, might take two and a half hours. What do the fast people do at the top?.....

I maybe stating the obvious here but surely the option is to make them wait at the bottom and set the slower people off first in groups headed by people that will and can stick to a steady pace. That way the bunch arrives together at the top, in theory anyway. Now I know this won't be perfect but throw in a no overtaking rule and everyone should arrive together at the top even if a quicker group catches up a slower one. A quick calculation over 15km climb set the first group off to achieve a 7.5kphm average then wait 30 mins and set off group 2 at 10 kmh average then finally group 3 at 15kmph 30 mins after that, result all three groups arrive at the top together. Personally and I would have thought the extra hour at the bottom then "chasing" everyone else up the hill has got to be better than standing at the top waiting for a slower group.

Last edited:

frank9755

Cyclist
Good plan: let the fast ones stay in bed for an extra hour and the slow ones wait at the top and get cold!

What can work well in practice is for the faster climbers to ride to the top then turn round and come back down until they meet the last rider coming up. They can then either ride up at a more leisurely pace at the back, admire the views and take the photos, or repeat, according to their preference.

Top Bottom