Is Collecting Bikes an Obsession or a Need to do Something Creative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm thinking of buying another bike ! I've already got a garage full of them at the moment but considering buying another . It is cheap, but will require a trip out to collect it. It's not a make that I have at the moment.
It could be that I'm bored and need something to clean and fix up . I used to work in a car body shop so repairing and polishing things is what I'm used to. I'm not into decorating or gardening ! I like being out on my bike . I'm not keen on cycling up hills though! It's being out in the open countryside listening and looking at nature or finding historical features in the landscape .
I have Raleigh's , Falcons, Carltons, Holdsworths and Vikings in my collection . I just fancy a different make to own . I quite like doing research into them as well seeing what they ride like. At times I am surprised by how well some of them actually ride.
This is all theory at the moment as I haven't mentioned it to SWMBO !

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I think it's just you and you need to seek help as normal cyclists only have one bike..........😁

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Ifs that's what you enjoy and it gives you pleasure why not?
I think in future you might have rethink as I did and decide you need to slim the collection down. There is something very satisfying about bringing a bike back from neglect. Now I have one road bike, which has undergone extensive renovation, one mountain bike and a gravel bike. I'm done.
What I do now is bikes for some kids in the area which is very satisfying. The only problem is I get kids coming up to me saying 'Id like a bike '.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Been thinking this through a lot more since my earlier comment.
I mean who needs a single speed winter bike, a geared winter bike, a non suspension MTB for all around use.
Then 2 more damp single speed bikes , one damp weather geared bike and 5 geared dry weather bikes .

Biggs is very happy to help out riders with such obsessions...by relieving them of as many bikes as he can carry!

I have seriously been considering opening an elderly bike sanctuary just like the donkey ones 😅

EckyH

I think it's just you and you need to seek help as normal cyclists only have one bike..........😁
... for every single purpose:
View: https://mastodon.social/@davewalker/111346664780760973

But Mr. Walker forgot one thing: What if the bicycle for the specific task is broken and BRM @Illaveago hasn't the time to fix that bicycle?
Due to my former job as a Unix admin redundancy of tools for productive tasks has become obsessential for me.

So my conclusion is: there's nothing wrong with collecting bicycles - as far as one can name a specific task for every bicycle.

E.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I find that sometimes it's nice to try a different bike for a while. It's handy having another in case one develops a fault .
Rescuing a bike is one of the ways in which my collection has grown. Friends who were going to put them in the skip if I hadn't taken them.
A couple I have bought cheaply as I wanted to see what so special about them . I have several modern style bikes . That was to try them out . They are alright but I still prefer my old steel classic bikes . I prefer the riding position , and the chrome and polished ally bits .

Jameshow

Veteran
:whistle:

I've acquired quite a lot, but mostly because of doing different things (track/TT/etc.) and liking doing bike renovations.

However.... I've been looking at whether I consolidate some of the 'road' bikes into a single one.

The thread made me think of you tbh!🤣🤣🤣

Slick

Guru
I'm thinking of buying another bike ! I've already got a garage full of them at the moment but considering buying another . It is cheap, but will require a trip out to collect it. It's not a make that I have at the moment.
It could be that I'm bored and need something to clean and fix up . I used to work in a car body shop so repairing and polishing things is what I'm used to. I'm not into decorating or gardening ! I like being out on my bike . I'm not keen on cycling up hills though! It's being out in the open countryside listening and looking at nature or finding historical features in the landscape .
I have Raleigh's , Falcons, Carltons, Holdsworths and Vikings in my collection . I just fancy a different make to own . I quite like doing research into them as well seeing what they ride like. At times I am surprised by how well some of them actually ride.
This is all theory at the moment as I haven't mentioned it to SWMBO !

I reckon @Cycleops said it best, if it gives you pleasure, why not. Especially with your background, it makes sense to keep your hand in. :okay:

My collection isn't huge, but I do have 3 different road bikes for various duties as well as 2 mountain bikes just because.

Mrs Slick has a road bike and a mountain bike but rarely uses anything other than her step through ebike.

I don't think that constitutes an obsession, and I haven't got a creative bone in my body, so I reckon my collection is pretty much, just because I can. :becool:

Big John

Guru
I've managed to reduce the bike collection but the number of bike wheels I've got has grown exponentially. I build a lot for customers at the bike charity where I work but get given rims/hubs or find them in the scrap at work so end up building them 'for a rainy day'. We've had loads of rainy days recently but I haven't used many as yet lol. My shed is full of the bloody things.

Top Bottom