Is it getting worse?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I was riding home along York Road in Bristol the other day. Impatient driver overtook me with a gnats whisker of room and then , about thirty yards on, indicated to turn right into the petrol station:angry:. I reckon he saved about 3 seconds getting from A to B.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I was overtaken by a car the other day on a NSL "A" road. A few hundred yards further on the nobber slowed down and then had to stop because he/she wanted to turn right but couldn't because of oncoming traffic. Why didn't I just pass up the nearside of the car? Because I was driving a dirty big articulated lorry!

Years ago I witnessed a lorry driver administering his own form of justice to a car driver who had cut him up on the motorway ..... bang - bang - bang; 3 shunts up the back end of the car. I wasn't too upset about this until the third or fourth shunt put the car into the back of mine :angry:, as we were in a slow moving traffic jam. We stopped and did the usual exchange of names/addresses, then a few months later I got a citation to go to court as a witness. HGV driver's defence was that he hadn't seen the car in front of him because of the height of his cab.... Utter bollox as I know from driving the things. Mr HGV driver was all smiles when I entered the witness box. The smiles soon disappeared when I was introduced to the court as an HGV driver - and retired Police Officer :laugh:. Ooops; hefty fine and a disqualification for you Sir!

Last edited:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I think similar may have happened here

My current peeve (as mentioned in commuter tales) is close passing bicycles. I know they can't do me the same amount of damage as a car/van/lorry and I'm not riding that quick at the moment, but I'm getting a bit fed up of them whooshing past with a foot or so gap.

donnydave

Über Member
I think similar may have happened here

My current peeve (as mentioned in commuter tales) is close passing bicycles. I know they can't do me the same amount of damage as a car/van/lorry and I'm not riding that quick at the moment, but I'm getting a bit fed up of them whooshing past with a foot or so gap.

damn right! Several times whilst camly commuting on the cambridge guided busway I've been overtaken by people on training rides and I believe on more than one occasion I have exclaimed something along the lines of "Oi we're not in the f--kin peleton you tw--"

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ha, Bells :-)

Oddly, the majority of the really close passers on bicycles look like they probably remove their stickers to shave some weight off the frame...
Yeah, it used to be the ninjas who'd cut you up dangerously, now it's all-the-gear-but-no-idea ones. Let me know if you find a better way to deal with it :-/

BEHMOTH66

I have no problems with the majority of drivers in Manchester as long as I take a strong position I tend to thank a lot of drivers for letting me swap lanes ect. The only problems I have is cars in cycle lanes which they get a shake of the head or I have asked a coach driver why is has totally blocked a cycle lane......His answer was I'm turning left (by the way he was 300 Metres away from the junction) I told him he was wrong to block it he stuck two fingers up so I rang the coach company.. I did get an apology from the firm

And I agree there are as many bad cyclist as there are bad drivers

RJG

Regular
I have no problems with the majority of drivers in Manchester as long as I take a strong position I tend to thank a lot of drivers for letting me swap lanes ect. The only problems I have is cars in cycle lanes which they get a shake of the head or I have asked a coach driver why is has totally blocked a cycle lane......His answer was I'm turning left (by the way he was 300 Metres away from the junction) I told him he was wrong to block it he stuck two fingers up so I rang the coach company.. I did get an apology from the firm

And I agree there are as many bad cyclist as there are bad drivers

Agreed mate, although I started off by slamming motorists on this forum I must admit there some atrocious cyclists. We have this repeat offender female cyclist who always ignores the red lights at the Royal Brewery on the Parkway. She pulls off early and several times myself and other cyclists (and motorists) have shouted "red light" at her, alas she continues on her merry way. On one occasion we caught up with her on Moss Lane East and queried why she is giving cyclists a bad name and her reaction was sadly a plethora of expletives. The following day she did it again and a week later she was parallel chatting to another red light jumper. Haven't see her for a while...maybe a juggernaut amber gambler flattened her on the Parkway cross-path.

Top Bottom