Is it getting worse?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You'll notice the cyclists are in that part of the world better riders and generally 4 or 5 times more attractive than the UK average.

Well im not.:hello: (Attractive I mean)

So some of today's incidents
Was going down a short hill into a village, 40mph limit going into a 30, I was doing 31mph in a very strong secondary, to overtake a car would have to go way over double white lines, stupid cow did it and nearly hit a van.

200 yards down the road, again in a strong secondary, out of the corner of my eye I saw a car trying to creep past me, I moved into a stronger position, the clown barged passed where he got a thump on his window.

A further half a mile down a single lane road, my usual route is closed, a vandriver decided he didn't have to slow down as he came steaming up the road, missing me by inches.

On the way home on the same stretch of road I had a car overtake me, then stopped right in front of me to let the car coming down past making me brake hard and stop. I got a wave of sorry after standing behind him shaking my head. Similar thing happened half a mile up the road.

Another numpties day out.

In other words you moved further out in an attempt to stop that vehicle passing? Im not gonna go into the rights and wrongs here, but I personally would have let the vehicle past. Even if the driver is in the wrong, better to have said driver bugger off ASAP rather than have him behind you any longer. I sometimes stop behind parked cars to let drivers behind me past rather than maintain primary. I just dont feel comfortable having cars driving behind me knowing that they are probably getting really irate.

OP
OP
cd365

cd365

Guru
In other words you moved further out in an attempt to stop that vehicle passing? Im not gonna go into the rights and wrongs here, but I personally would have let the vehicle past. Even if the driver is in the wrong, better to have said driver bugger off ASAP rather than have him behind you any longer. I sometimes stop behind parked cars to let drivers behind me past rather than maintain primary. I just dont feel comfortable having cars driving behind me knowing that they are probably getting really irate.
There wasn't room for him to pass safely even if I moved to the left, I was doing 20+mph. I was trying to discourage him from putting my life on the line, he barged past anyway. I don't care if they are getting irate, I have as much right to be on the road as them.

I see what you are getting at here.I generally do both,yours and cd365.Depending on the circumstances.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There wasn't room for him to pass safely even if I moved to the left, I was doing 20+mph. I was trying to discourage him from putting my life on the line, he barged past anyway. I don't care if they are getting irate, I have as much right to be on the road as them.
I wouldn't stop either. They've got to learn, or be removed from the road and I'd rather they challenged me (6ftish with a heavy bike and camera) than knocked down some schoolchild on a cheap bike because, hey, other cyclists crashed in the gutter as they barged past so why didn't that kid?

OP
OP
cd365

cd365

Guru
So last night, whilst in primary, I was coming up to a set of traffic lights, there was a right filter lane coming up and I was going to move into it, with about 4 car lengths before the queuing traffic an old boy decided to overtake me, pull in front and brake straight away, so as I veered around him I very unpolitely asked him what he thought he was doing. As the traffic moved off he came past giving me the V sign. Charming :laugh:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
So last night, whilst in primary, I was coming up to a set of traffic lights, there was a right filter lane coming up and I was going to move into it, with about 4 car lengths before the queuing traffic an old boy decided to overtake me, pull in front and brake straight away, so as I veered around him I very unpolitely asked him what he thought he was doing. As the traffic moved off he came past giving me the V sign. Charming :laugh:
I never make any comment in that situation beyond beaming at them as I cycle past them to the front of the queue. I always do it in that situation, even if I wouldn't have bothered for just a few cars.

OP
OP
cd365

cd365

Guru
I always comment so they know that what they did was wrong! They might not think they did but they will think about it next time!!

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I wouldn't stop either. They've got to learn, or be removed from the road and I'd rather they challenged me (6ftish with a heavy bike and camera) than knocked down some schoolchild on a cheap bike because, hey, other cyclists crashed in the gutter as they barged past so why didn't that kid?
Odd, you don't
not allow yourself to become agitated or involved if someone is behaving badly on the road. This will only make the situation worse. Pull over, calm down and, when you feel relaxed, continue your journey
Then?

Top Bottom