is it ok to fight back???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
User76 said:
If the situation calls for it, then bloody right, and I hope my son is the same. The country is going to rat-shoot because too many people are like you, too bloody scared. If all the decent people stood up, the chavvy scum who are ruining this coutnry would disappear overnight.

Alternatively, all the decent people might get knifed...

I have a go sometimes, but other times I think "Hmm, I'd rather not get killed, thank you". I'm sure you're big and scary and built of concrete, but we don't all have that advantage...

Mr Pig

ed_o_brain said:
They will go home and tell their mates their version of events.

And some other poor cyclist might get picked on because of your actions.

Unfair I know, personally I'd like to drag them out of the car and smash their faces in so I do understand your sentiments. However, we're dealing with sub-humans here. It's like dealing with a wild animal, you can talk about your rights all day long but the bottom line is that not pissing it off is still the wisest course of action.

Best stay as far away from these clowns as possible, keep them out of your life.

jeltz

Veteran
They behaved in a crap way so you vandalised their vehicle. Nope, I cant see that 2 wrongs make a right, ever.

I would have thought that a gob on the windscreen would have gotten the message across equally and had here been a CCTV camera around to catch you kicking their car, you might have ended up paying for it to be fixed.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
TBH, gobbing on the windscreen could get you a more violent reaction than damaging the car.

I've seriously kicked cars in the past but only out of honest fear or to actually get the driver's attention.
It's not big or clever to retaliate but it can also be an honest, if not 'over', reaction.

Noodley

When on a bike I always 'fight back'. Stand up to the f***ers is what I say. Give them what they least expect. They behave that way towards cyclists cos they view them a weaker and try to bully them. Be stronger. If that necessitates aggression then so be it. But stronger can also include being wiser at times. And knowing that sometimes the wiser choice is to not use aggression....

Crankarm

Guru
Things can take a turn for the worst if the driver turns out to be a psycho. Be very careful especially in the heat of summer where people might have been drinking and lose grip on reality. I know it's hard but even the tallest giants can be felled. You only need to be stabbed or shot or run down. It simply isn't worth it. As they say pride before a fall.

The banker Mr. Carrighan went to the aid of a homeless man who was being set upon by some scrotes late one night in Norwich. He had his brothers and family with him so he wasn't alone but the scrotes then turned their attention from beating the homeless man to Mr Carrighan beating him to death. Quite how they were only convicted of the lesser offence of manslaughter is beyond belief. Apparently the two scrotes who killed Mr McCarrighan were boxers.

Anyway from an earlier thread :

Cyclist killed by driver for damaging wing mirror, court told
Apr 21 2009
By Duncan Gibbons

A CYCLIST was knocked down and killed in a suspected revenge attack after he damaged a motorist's wing mirror, a court has heard.
The car driver, Sean Fitzgerald, aged 35, of Bennetts Road North, Keresley, Coventry, is charged with murder.
He is alleged to have deliberately mounted the pavement and driven at warehouseman Paul Webb on Thursday afternoon.
The 42-year-old victim suffered multiple injuries and died at the scene in Bennetts Road South, Keresley, as he cycled home from work at the Co-op distribution centre at PrologisPark.
Coventry magistrates court was told Fitzgerald reacted after his nearside mirror was knocked off by a cyclist moments earlier, but it is not clear if the victim was the man responsible.

Emma Garnett, prosecuting, said: “He was angry that his wing mirror was knocked off.
“This defendant followed the cyclist for 300 yards from the first point of contact and mounted the kerb while he [Mr Webb] was on the pavement.”
She said the cyclist suffered a fatal combination of broken ribs, a shattered pelvis and internal bleeding in the crash, which left debris scattered up to 15 metres away.
The court heard Fitzgerald handed himself in to police the following day where he was arrested and charged.
Andrew Mithie, defending, said: “This gentleman was driving from Bennetts Road North into the city centre along Bennetts Road South when there was contact by a cyclist with his nearside wing mirror.
“He was upset about the damage and started to remonstrate with the cyclist who made off.
“This gentleman accepts that some distance away there was contact and it seems that it probably was the same individual, but he’s not sure if it was or not.”
Dad of two Fitzgerald was denied bail and was remanded in custody for a hearing at Coventry Crown Court on Monday April 27.
Police are still seeking witnesses to the accident.
Detective Inspector Wendy Bailey from CID at Little Park Street police station said: “The victim was wearing a red jacket and the car he collided with was silver in colour.
"It is believed the car involved was behind a refuse collection lorry.
"We would appeal for anyone who saw the pedal cyclist or the silver car behind the refuse lorry to come forward.”
Anyone who witnessed the collision or anyone with information is urged to call Little Park Street police station on 0845 113 5000.

I think there are quite few terminological errors in these posts.

Surely the expression you are all trying to find is "To protect myself i wa forced to fend myself off the vehicle using my (Insert limb)"

A purely benign, understandable reaction and if it causes incidental damage, then......

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Slim said:
Numbnuts.

Sorry, but as has already been mentioned, you're wrong. I'm not saying cyclists should be aggressive on the roads but if you don't stand up to bullies they'll carry on doing it. Far from ramming the next cyclist the driver comes across, she'll probably give the cyclist more room than usual (certainly more than a legs length :biggrin:).

I think there's a lot of sense in that. I'd suggest, however, that there is a golden rule. If you're going to get nasty with riff-raff make sure you don't end up under the front wheels. Sometimes it simply doesn't pay to retaliate.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I think its generally agreed there is no excuse for violence and I don't think anyone is encouraging battering motorists for cutting you up (altough we may feel like it from time to time).

But as Cunobelin says lashing out if someone has or is in the process of doing this with a foot or arm is understandable and occassionally it could be argued it is necessary.

Dragging them from the car and smashing their heads in the doors is probably a step too far. But as many say there are some nutters out there so if you are going to 'engage' someone in a car ensure you have a clean getaway route!

Arch

Married to Night Train
User76 said:
It was only a few weeks ago Arch you were gleefully telling us of how you had told off a yoof for wheeling a motorbike through a nature reserve. Although I disagreed with you at the time, the basic spine is there, just use it more often.

Oh, and I am not particualrly big, scary or made of concrete, but I do know some tricks and I don't play nice:evil:

I think that was Gromit actually, although I was there.

Anyway, I said, sometimes I do take a stand. But I know when discretion is the better part of valour too.

Top Bottom