" Is it OK to get off your bike and walk up a hill?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Richardson

Über Member
Must admit did first hilly sportive earlier this month. Je James challenger,managed to get up winnats pass, but curber gap after 65 miles beat me had to walk half of it.felt really deflated when i finished, when I should have celebrating the fact I managed to get round.

NorvernRob

On my first ever road bike ride, I did a 57 mile route including Holme Moss. It was a bad idea, I was knackered after 10 miles as I hadn't been on a bike for 15 years.

However, whilst I had to stop probably 15 times on Holme Moss I never walked, I got back on and pedalled every time until I reached the top. I told myself there and then I'd never walk up a hill. My will was tested soon after as I stupidly tackled Winnats Pass, I was so tired I fell off sideways into the grass without even unclipping. I got back on though, got going and made it to the top.

I've been up both those hills plenty of times since, and lots of other 'hard' hills, but now I'm pretty fit (and 68kg) nothing will ever feel as hard as they did at the point I did them.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
No shame in the 24" gear. Hells teeth, it's meant to be fun!

heretic.jpeg

TheSoulReaver03

Why would it not be okay? Lots of people do it if they're out of energy and the incline is simply too much. Worrying about stuff like this is meaningless. Just think about your legs getting stronger or whatever. That's what I do :biggrin:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I'm just grateful I can cycle and do most things I want tho without various bits of me stopping me, so if it's easier walking then so be it... I'm glad I can. Looking at some in my peer group there are lots of people who have crumbling joints and similar problems and wish they could!

Last edited:

DEFENDER01

Über Member
If i had a choice between using the stairs or the lift i would use the lift.
Think what i am saying is what ever is easier whats the point in struggling.;)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Even Tour de France winners do it
Octave-Lapize-Tourmalet-1910-Tour-de-France.jpg

Octave Lapize (the race winner) on the Tourmalet, Tour de France 1910

This was before the authorities went soft and allowed the riders to use gears.

Well I was inspired by this thread to go back to a hill that I had the shame to walk up once and have avoided ever since. I made it up this morning, got to the top nearly puked and had to sit down for a few minutes. I am not sure if I can claim it as a win or not.

Well done, that's the way to do it!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
[QUOTE 3717576, member: 259"]I regularly jog past 'mountain' bikers who can only get up hills - which my grandmother would have slaughtered with a sturmey archer 3 speed - by adopting the granniest of gears, but ho-hum.[/QUOTE]
If you've got the gears then you might as well use them.

Top Bottom