Is my bike run out of date?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
I have been riding a Bianchi Oltre 2011 road bike model for 3 yrs. I have a bunch of friends many of whom are riding a Pina Dogma F8, also a road bike. We always ride together during weekends as a peleton and all our speed are about equal. We have taken part in two 70.3 Ironman and these F8 riders were doing all the 3 discipline whereas for me, I was doing a team relay just for the bike leg. So theortically my returned time should be faster than any of them. But surprising not. My timing was the worst off after we did 2 ironman events. I knew I can’t be worst off than them as we always ride together but as you know in an Ironman event, no drafting allowed. So I began to question not my capability but rather the bike over a long distance. 70.3 Ironman bike leg is 90km.

Two of my friends tested my bike and said its not as stiff as their F8, hence a lot of my energy was lost. Both concurred that they need to pedal harder to keep my bike rolling. I tried their F8 but probably I’m not the sensitive type of person, so I can’t feel the difference. All I knew was when I pedal the bike will automatically go and not remain stationary. I always felt that Oltre (though its 2011 model) and being top of the range of the Bianchi lot at time of purchase, can’t be that far off from whatever latest hi-tech stiffy carbon fibre model of today.

I understand stiffness is impt but it also musn’t be too harsh when we ride. My Oltre coupled with my 25mm tire always gave me a smooth and comfortable feel. However I can feel at times when we ride together as a peleton, I’m struggling to keep up with my friends though I still can keep up thru’ sheer great exhaustive effort.

I don’t mind getting the F8 although I truly like the Bianchi which has a beautiful Celeste colour. But speed is important to me. I can spend the money but can’t afford just buy for experimenting. And I don’t have space for another bike.

So shld I get an F8 and let technology helps me abit? Or there are more to it?

Crandoggler

I think you need to get fitter.

vickster

Legendary Member
indeed perhaps they are just quicker than you

Swap bikes with one of your friends for a ride assuming same sizing and see how you go?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Youre the second person this weekend that wants to spend thousands of £ on a road bike to do the TT part of a triathlon :blink:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
get better tyres too…

Are all components working properly? On a 4 year old bike I'm assuming you've replaced chains, chainrings, cassettes, jockey wheels a few times and maybe even BB, headset, rims and hubs?

I'd be looking at the components and how efficiently they're running before swapping out a good frame.

Top Bottom