Is this bike worth nearly 2 grand?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossala

Guru
There's a rather nice Enigma steel bike here for less. At £1500, it's cheaper, UK made, Columbus steel. I wouldn't go for red but I'd be tempted...
Enigma%20Elite.jpg

Road.cc liked it - http://road.cc/content/review/125386-enigma-elite-hss-frameset
Frameset only.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Frameset only.
Oops, I missed that! Anyone for a Condor Acciaio then?

Oops again, £2700 for the full build...

fossala

Guru
How can you pay all that money and only get half the wheels?!
Didn't, I bought it second hand (50 miles on the clock) for 1.3k.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I like the look of it, but I wouldn't spend £2k on it.

There's an original one in M. Steel's near me in Newcastls, as ridden by the proprietor Joe Waugh in the Moscow Olympics!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Gains marks for the quill stem, toe clips and horizontal top tube.
Loses marks for the absence of lugs,pokey-uppy loops of brake cables or downtube gear levers.

There must be a few originals still knocking about at the back of garages, and I doubt they'll fetch £2K.

(Nothing wrong with small wheels, by the way. They're lighter, stiffer and quicker to accelerate. Dr Moulton worked out in the 60s that with high-pressure tyres and fine-tuned suspension, any bigger than 17" was a waste of weight. MIT recently came to the same conclusion via a different route. Raleigh/Moultons had quite a succesful track season - small wheels also allow team pursuit riders to draft each other more closely - they were successful enough for the UCI to decide that the definition of a "bicycle" includes a minimum wheel size bigger than 17", in their usual, innovation-stifling way. Moulton/Pashley have more recently compromised at 20" because no-one except Schwalbe make a 17" tyre these days - probably largely because of that UCI ban).

Loch_Rog_Beag_2?v=0.jpg

Top Bottom