Is this chap's bike too small?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its well known that cav in his first season with ettix used 48cm frame instead of his usual 52cm setup as he wanted to try something different. He added a longer stem and layback seatpost to get the position right, it helped him to get lower and more aero in the sprint

As above, AccyCyclist is correct... in that Giant introduced the Compact Road Frame and many teams use them. The frame is effectively smaller than a "full size frame" as this makes it lighter and stiffer, as well as saving weight. The complete cycle does fit the rider, but is physically smaller, and in theory more adaptable.

For this reason it is usual to have a series of standardised frame sizes that are then fine tuned by using individual parts to build the frame.. again as mentioned by Jowwy

Lonestar

Veteran
big-man-on-small-bike.jpg

I must be a pro, as I like a small frame.

Is this guys bike too small?

The bike also seems to have wheels which are not round. Do elliptical wheels give you extra power?

Not elliptical wheels, but.....

You can get elliptical chain rigs, which are supposed to increase power by removing the dead spot in the pedal stroke, Shimano dabbled with them on the 80's with the "Biopace" series, but it was short lived. A couple of my early mountain bikes have them

They have been in and out of fashion for years, and are either brilliant or useless depending upon who you listen to

Team Sky have certainly favoured them

big-man-on-small-bike.jpg

Is this guys bike too small?

UCI Fail

• wheels must be of equal diameter, between 70 cm and 55 cm, and must have minimum 12 spokes; spokes can be round, flattened or oval, as far as no dimension of their sections exceeds 10 mm
  • the distance between the bottom bracket spindle and the ground must be between 24 cm and 30 cm
  • the distance between the vertical passing through the lower bracket spindle and the front wheel spindle must be between 54 cm and 65 cm
  • the distance between the vertical passing through the bottom bracket spindle and the rear wheel spindle must be between 35 cm and 50 cm

screenman

Legendary Member
As above, AccyCyclist is correct... in that Giant introduced the Compact Road Frame and many teams use them. The frame is effectively smaller than a "full size frame" as this makes it lighter and stiffer, as well as saving weight. The complete cycle does fit the rider, but is physically smaller, and in theory more adaptable.

For this reason it is usual to have a series of standardised frame sizes that are then fine tuned by using individual parts to build the frame.. again as mentioned by Jowwy

In which case the frame is not too small for them.

screenman

Legendary Member
Apologies I thought it was in reply to the topic title.

Apologies I thought it was in reply to the topic title.

No problem..... I remember when after the success of the Lotus frame Mike Burrows moved to Giant and introduced the concept with the giant TCR

Although the evidence was there, it took a while for the traditionalists to accept the smaller frame concept

midlife

Guru
Slightly off topic but someone smashed the window of our bike shop (1970's) for some transport home, witnesses saw the bloke trying to ride home as fast as possible on a kids bike (I think it was a budgie) :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have never heard of a pro selecting to ride a bike that does not fit them, where did you get your information from Accy.

It was someone on here,can't remember who. I posted a picture of Bradley Wiggins,similar to the bloke in pink. I said his bike looked too small. They said they rode bikes as small as possible for a reason.

Top Bottom