It's not just mobiles...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
In the last 6 or so months I've noticed more and more drivers not wearing seat-belts.

Have I missed a new law making the wearing of restraints optional ?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think the police have always insisted that there are a lot of non-seatbelt wearers around, part of this motivated by truth and part as an excuse to do people. We've all had the "I noticed you weren't wearing your seatbelt, Sir" routine. Certainly around South Yorks, Derbs and Notts you'll get pulled over for not wearing your seatbelt and pulled over for it even when you are. I see people without seatbelts but it's not as common as mobiles and broken lights, I'd say.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's something I see every day of the week on my commute. Seems it doesn't matter what sex, what age, what nationality or how expensive or cheap the car is.... not wearing a seatbelt is more epidemic then mobile phone users.

You must redmember Goo that these people think they are above the law.. that or they are in fact complete and utter selfish peanuts.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
ianrauk said:
It's something I see every day of the week on my commute. Seems it doesn't matter what sex, what age, what nationality or how expensive or cheap the car is.... not wearing a seatbelt is more epidemic then mobile phone users.

You must redmember Goo that these people think they are above the law.. that or they are in fact complete and utter selfish peanuts.

Certainly seems to be getting that way - two weeks ago I actually saw five cars in a row drive by without the driver being belted up. Admittedly that's very unusual but sitting on a bus, cycling along or standing at traffic lights and observing cars go by, it's certainly more and more obvious that fewer drivers are belting up.

I think people are becoming so over-confident with all of the airbags, side impact bags, crumple zones etc etc that they think that they'll survive without the most basic of precautions.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nope, just that they are complete and utter selfish peanuts...

goo_mason said:
I think people are becoming so over-confident with all of the airbags, side impact bags, crumple zones etc etc that they think that they'll survive without the most basic of precautions.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
goo_mason said:

Over confidence yes. Over confidence doesnt stop you flying through the windscreen at 30 though, as happened to an old college mate of mine years back. Messed his face right up.

I think I'm getting old. Nothing surprises me anymore. When I'm out driving with Mrs B and she sees a driver on the phone, she is always surprised. I just think "Mmm... just like I see virtually every day when commuting to work on my bike."

Yeah they all think they are better drivers than they actually are.

Bman

Guru
palinurus said:
At least not wearing a seatbelt isn't likely to distract 'em.

Exactly. In fact it may make them drive more carefully?

At the very least, its Natural Selection. I just hope they dont take anyone else out with them.

purplepolly

When I'm on a bus I usually spot an unrestrained child in the front passenger seat. They're fairly easy to spot as they're often standing in fornt of the seat facing backwards or turing round on the seat.

Crankarm

Guru
TBH it doesn't really bother me if they don't wear a seatbelt if they want to increase their chances of being fatally injured I'm all for that. At least then they are dead and can no longer be a danger to other road users. But what does alarm me is that it is probably indicative of them not having insurance or a license, bald tyres or some other defect with their vehicle or even themselves.

In a 13 mile journey yesterday (by car) on quiet rural roads into St.Ives I saw 7 people using mobiles whilst they were driving and of those 4 did not have seatbelts on. The roads were pretty quiet as well. This afternoon I was cycling in town on the Brommie going shopping when in a residential street I saw a Peugeot 106 driving erratically toward me. It wasn't hanging around. As it got near I saw the driver was a nurse (feemail, blonde about 28-30yrs), yes a nurse, texting with her right hand while at the same time trying to hold the steering wheel with the same hand to steer the car, badly. She had her other hand in her handbag. As she drifted toward and past me I shouted Oi! Her window was down. For showing my concern and alarm she shouted Fkcu off! immediately back. I mean a nurse and in uniform. Shocking. Not a porter but a genuine SRN. The calibre of nursing staff has definitely deteriorated.

Top Bottom