Job applications and search engines.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
One of me is a very famous cycling photographer, the one typing this is not.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Uncommon name so only I come up on searches. Lots of professional stuff on the web that people can find. Zero personal stuff. I also deleted my LinkedIn account as I ended up putting personal stuff on it and got no benefit. I am amazed how open people are on that. So easy, for example, to identify customers of particular companies through LinkedIn connections. Numpties

I will, of course, never (well, very unlikely anyway) be in a position to interview someone for a job, but if I were, if check Facebook, Twitter etc and if I found something embarrassing wouldn't disregard that person straight away, but would definitely bring it up in the interview to see how they handle a bit of stress!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
We're told our employer does but never been asked for my twitter username, even for enhanced security vetting & searching for my real name is hit or miss as I change that depending on what mood I'm in. Its been Mr Tweedy for a while in honour of having recently got some chickens. Why stop there, why not hunt me down on here or my football fan forum etc

Edit: Googling me sees several namesakes having a better time than me. The wildlife park owner in Hawaii may not be as keen on a lifestyle swap as I would :smile:. Nor the New York based top level games designer.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I will, of course, never (well, very unlikely anyway) be in a position to interview someone for a job, but if I were, if check Facebook, Twitter etc and if I found something embarrassing wouldn't disregard that person straight away, but would definitely bring it up in the interview to see how they handle a bit of stress!

That's the real skill of interviewing. I couldn't care less when they ramble through their employment history. I want to see if they can think on their feet, how they respond to pressure, how they handle questions that have nothing to do with the job.
I always ask for 3 adjectives to describe themselves. Then I ask them what would their best friend say if I asked for 3 adjectives to describe the interviewee. Then I ask then why the adjectives aren't the same. Then I sit back and see what happens.

Top Bottom