Jon Snow / London VeliB-oris -R4 half an hour ago.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After my initial reaction of 'bad ambassador', subsequently reading all of the reports about this...I have changed my mind.
I think it is just the usual DM vicious and sensationalist reporting.

One of the benefits of having Jon Snow as the President of the CTC, is his position, being already famous, can be a positive in helping our cause.

But the same goes for the negative. If this was Mr Joe Person, DM wouldn't have cared - might not have even known who they were.

Sadly - he could do much better - we don't need to cycle on pavements to get off etc that's just lazy from him - almost as lazy as people parking on the pavement outside a shop etc etc...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
After my initial reaction of 'bad ambassador', subsequently reading all of the reports about this...I have changed my mind.
I think it is just the usual DM vicious and sensationalist reporting.

Yes, about the DM stuff, but not about the craziness he said himself in the interview. That's just not acceptable from a CTC President, at least in my books.

Yes, about the DM stuff, but not about the craziness he said himself in the interview. That's just not acceptable from a CTC President, at least in my books.

Because of the DM article I keep forgetting about that (which pretty much stared this all).

What annoyed me is he said you have to be a bit aggressive (and he just pulled out in front if a car because he couldn't get out). Isn't that the problem with cars currently, the feeling that they need to be "aggressive" to get anywhere?

Jezston

Über Member
Some of the alleged 'RLJ' photo evidence is inconclusive because the rider is well past the stop line and, if he was progressing slowly, the lights could have changed after he passed.

There is also Photoshop. I'm sure DM hacks are well familiar with it... :evil:

And I might have thought that too.

However, Jon Snow as much as confessed to all of it.

In his statement he just all yeah but we should be able to turn to our side through reds like in the US and the DM are awful and motorists are worse.

That combined with his statements on the Radio 4 show suggest he is completely inappropriate as a figurehead for a group who's mission is to improve the lot of cyclists.

PBancroft

I can't help but think the CTC should identify the journalist, and follow them home during their commute. Would be interesting to see how many offences they make during their drive/walk/cycle/tube ride.

wafflycat

What appears to be getting overlooked in this is the original Radio 4 programme where the CTC president is concentrating on how dangerous cycling is, how we need to be aggressive and how motorists have every right to feel frustrated about cyclists as we're extremely badly behaved... The Wail has not 'set up' Mr Snow on that one as far as I can tell.. And he has previous form on this too, as it's not the first time he's gone on about how dangerous cycling is. Does the CTC need a president to be emphasising just how terribly dangerous cycling is? Is that going to get the wider public interested in cycling? How about more emphasis on the positives of cycling?

And as for the Wail's 'set-up' of JS, and yes, the Wail is notoriously anti-cyclist, JS has already admitted that he was cycling on the pavement

http://road.cc/content/news/20885-daily-mail-exposes-jon-snow-serial-rule-breaker

but tries to excuse it in the article above

"“In the first picture I am leaving the hoops I had parked on. In the other pavement shot I am arriving at railings to which the photographer would have seen me secure the bike – you can see the top of my leg swinging over the saddle preparatory to parking. "

Yes, well, some of us dismount our bikes before walking on to the pavements, and walk out bikes from the pavement parking to the road before mounting the bike.

As for RLJ-ing, he's unrepentent here too

"“The red lights I was well past when they turned red and the ambulance I obviously stopped for. I regret nothing beyond the reality that in common with America and many other countries we need a serious national cycling strategy and REAL provision for cycle use.”

So did he go over on amber? Amber means stop too. And he repeats the justification for RLJ-ing he used in the Radio 4 programme, that it's allowed in America. Well here isn't America.

As for using the mobile, again, wriggling:

“It is alas NOT illegal to use a mobile on a bike (but should be!) "

He's right, it's not specifically illegal to be using the phone when cycling, but it's surely something a policeman may well take into account when deciding whether he's committed "reckless cycling" "careless cycling" or whatever the correct term is for this these days (it was such under RTA 1988). And if he thinks it should be an offence, why is he doing it anyway?

Sorry, but as much as the Wail is rabidly anti-cycling, JS has already effectively admitted much of the article but is exceedingly unrepentent about it.

And don't forget just how dangerous cycling is! We're all going to die horrible deaths: not!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I can't help but think the CTC should identify the journalist, and follow them home during their commute. Would be interesting to see how many offences they make during their drive/walk/cycle/tube ride.

Journalists are above the law. Breaking and entering is investigative journalism. Certain activities would be described as entrapment when the authorities do it, and is inadmissible in court, whereas for journalists it is perfectly legal and victims are open to prosecution. Bugging and covert CCTV is an infringement of civil liberties, or Dark Arts, if you are writing for a newspaper, and likely to get you a well-paid job for a political party rather than time inside. Politicians lie, journalists tell the truth that no one else is prepared to talk about. Politicians are disingenuous, deceiving or miss-speak, whereas journalists are upholding the right of freedom of press/speech. If journalists need to break the law to get a story, prosecution is an attempt at silencing the press. Evidence collected by journalists is OK for selling papers, but cannot be handed over to authorities as that would put journalists integrity of lives at risk.

So sorry, but as long as people buy the DM, this will never happen.

wafflycat

Amber doesn't mean stop, it means stop if it is safe to do so or if stopping might cause an accident. It is legal to go through on amber if you can't stop in time.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu.../@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_070561.pdf

"AMBER means ‘Stop’ at the stop line. You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident."

Not quite the same as 'stop if it is safe to do so'

brokenbetty

Über Member
I heard the interview and thought at the time Mr Snow was being a pratt and not doing cyclists any favours at all.

We are not special little flowers who need their own rules, what we need is

1. the rules and best practice guidelines that already exist to be enforced and adhered to by all road users
2. the dominant loutish car culture to be subject to continous public ridicule until an adult would no more be seen driving badly than they would go out in the street in a babygrow.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That's not quite what you said in your last post.

Not quite what you said either. "MUST stop" is the highway code wording:

You MUST stop behind the white ‘Stop’ line across your side of the road unless the light is green. If the amber light appears you may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to stop might cause a collision.

Top Bottom