Just how do they get that fast!? *

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

As I mentioned in another thread, I did a sportive on Saturday - 175km. I was well chuffed with my time but the winners were in just over 2 HOURS before me! They clocked an average speed of 38kph! :ohmy:

It's only knowing how hard it was for me that makes me realise just how quick those guys were. I don't even want to think about pro riders!!

*Okay, I know, it's training but I just wanted to comment on just how effing quick some riders can be!

Thanks god it was kph.

Will1985

Über Member
It's easy in a pack where people share riding at the front. The lead group at the Norwich 100 usually gets to the halfway point in about 2h10 which is pretty much 38km/h.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
23.6mph over 108.75 miles.........zat is darn quick in my book

I can do 23.6mph sprinting and keep it up for maybe 200 yards.........bloody hell, the mind boggles

OP
OP
Y

yello

Will1985 said:
It's easy in a pack where people share riding at the front.

I don't think it'd be "easy" for me!! But, yes, it's easier working in a group.

I was alone for 120km (off the back shall we say :o) so maybe had I have been with them.... ;)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
My best time ever in a sportive was just under 5.30 for a 100 miles (which is just over 18 mph or 30 kph)... however, there are a few guys in my club who could do the same distance in between 4 hours and 4.30, which would be the kind of speed you are suggesting.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Landslide said:
Such speeds surely leave no time for a pint, or a toastie, or a slice of cake, or another pint...:ohmy:

Absolutely true. There is indeed photographic evidence in the local paper showing some of the said 'cyclists' passing a feed station! Disgraceful. My own inspection of the 2 feed stations provided on-route revealed there to be quite an adequate selection of cake, chocolate, etc.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Landslide said:
I've absolutely no idea...:ohmy:

More worryingly though, why?
Such speeds surely leave no time for a pint, or a toastie, or a slice of cake, or another pint...:smile:

That's alright, leaves more for those of us who'd prefer to take two days to do such a distance....;)

Dave5N

Über Member
The winner of the Under 10 race at Hog Hill last week did the 6k in 12' 05".

That's a shade under 30 KPH.

I wasn't there, but I reckon averaging nearly 19 miles an hour is pretty impressive for a nine-year-old. .

Top Bottom