Keep Calm People!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The vegan sausage rolls are still amazing - so good that many vendors have copied the idea.
Which is A Good Thing!

p.s. the GWR App train times were all up the spout yesterday. Expect locusts on the horizon ...

I noticed the same at Epsom yesterday (Southern and SWR services).
It was eventually 8 minutes late, I've had worse. The board continued to give it's optimistic status of "on time".
Worse was the usual 8 carriages had been truncated to just 4, making it a very busy experience. It must have been hell a few stops earlier leavining Waterloo.

1710966954085.png

Slick

Guru
The only enjoyable experience I've ever had at a motorway service station was at Tebay.

https://www.tebayservices.com/
Funny you say that but I'm just back tonight from a trip to Birmingham. The way down is always a non stop flight as I had to do a days work and then head down, which is a bit of a pain, but the good thing is once you get over that Kingston bridge, you get a clear run down. On the way back I usually do a splash and dash at Southwaite services, but due to the clear roads and additional speeds I was running out of fuel by Tebay and called in there. It was mobbed, which is always a tell tale sign of quality and the next time I'm heading back home, I'll make a proper stop and get a dinner there. :thumbsup:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
For proper road trip grub, Stainmore cafe on the A66 is a great truck stop. None of the poncified over-priced Tebay tofu tat, egg and chips ftw.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have been to Gregg's once in the last 10 years, at a service station. The sausage rolls were very poor. In fact I'd go as far as to compare their "sausage rolls" to a Ginsters pasty i.e. not very nice, not very authentic,

You're missing the point of Greggs and Ginsters. They're not meant to be "nice" or "authentic".

They're not bloody smashed-avocado-on-slate hipster artisanal pastry products lovingly crafted from local organic produce. They're crap. They're meant to be like that. :smile:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
You're missing the point of Greggs and Ginsters. They're not meant to be "nice" or "authentic".

They're not bloody smashed-avocado-on-slate hipster artisanal pastry products lovingly crafted from local organic produce. They're crap. They're meant to be like that. :smile:

Oh right. Well I am no stranger to cheap and nasty satisfying food, but I find cheapo Morrisons sausage rolls far nicer. Same goes for pretty much any pasty other than Ginsters. I do not know how Ginsters manage to make a pasty so utterly vile and get away with it!

AndyRM

XOXO
From Wiki...

The Ginsters family were in the business of supplying horse manure to foundries for mixing with sand for the moulds for casting.

'Nuff said.

Alex321

Veteran
For proper road trip grub, Stainmore cafe on the A66 is a great truck stop. None of the poncified over-priced Tebay tofu tat, egg and chips ftw.

Not sure Tebay do Tofu :smile:

They have a farm shop on site, and a lot of the produce comes from their farms.

Overpriced? Maybe, depends on what you are used to I suppose. Most of us think most motorway services are overpriced. But you are paying for the convenience of not having to go off the motorway and hunty for something else.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
From Wiki...

The Ginsters family were in the business of supplying horse manure to foundries for mixing with sand for the moulds for casting.

'Nuff said.

I think that the only time I ever eat Ginsters pasties is sitting on petrol station forecourts on long bike rides.

There's something about a horse manure pasty accompanied by the scent of petrol fumes that really lifts my flagging spirits.

I think that the only time I ever eat Ginsters pasties is sitting on petrol station forecourts on long bike rides.

There's something about a horse manure pasty accompanied by the scent of petrol fumes that really lifts my flagging spirits.

That was also MY first introduction to Ginsters. They were the least-worst option at many petrol stations.

After a few years of such experiences, I was astonished to see someone buying them in a supermarket; why would you buy a Ginsters from somewhere that also sells real food??

Top Bottom