Kennington. LCC and TfL foolishness. Now it's personal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@mjray thanks some good points and pointers there. It was mainly a frutration rant, if they're going to do it, at least do it properly. You're right I should'nt just be 'outraged on the internet' I shall ping an email to them, even though my cynicism leads me to think it won't get beyond the inbox of some low level TFL droid.

I really don't agree with the whole die-ins protest thing so won't be going along to that, but the suns trying to break out so I'm off out to play with the traffic^_^

subaqua

What’s the point
Yebbut M10 and M45 just spread the load from the ends of the M1 onto more non-motorways... most of the CS load spreads among non-cycle-superhighways in a similar fashion, doesn't it? There's no shortage of junctions on most of them, as you know to your cost :sad:

My point was that it chucks traffic into a place not entirely suitable for them . So no lessons learned at all.

But LCC love this sort of infra

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Nothing wrong with the existing infrastructure. The existing roads are great for cycling on.

The motor traffic on the roads is the problem. Regulate it more closely. Stop prioritising it over other road users. Take away its advantages. Reduce its speed and volume.

And stop wasting money building piecemeal "cycling infrastructure"

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Nothing wrong with the existing infrastructure. The existing roads are great for cycling on.

The motor traffic on the roads is the problem. Regulate it more closely. Stop prioritising it over other road users. Take away its advantages. Reduce its speed and volume.

And stop wasting money building piecemeal "cycling infrastructure"
url=http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...be-trafficfree-within-12-months-a3119371.html

The link address says everything you need to know. And further west, Camden have bowed to the inevitable and taken a lane out of the roads in Bloomsbury to widen the horribly narrow bike lane. And they've taken out ability of general traffic to use the roads as a through ratrun by making different bits of it one-way in different directions.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Once the CEGB folk took over I cancelled my membership.
Please can you tell me which of http://www.cycling-embassy.org.uk/people have taken over LCC?

And further west, Camden have bowed to the inevitable and taken a lane out of the roads in Bloomsbury to widen the horribly narrow bike lane.
I'm still not sure what to think of that. Does that mean the horribly narrow cycle track actually did encourage numbers on that route to rise to the point cycling more dedicated road space made sense, or that it had dangerously failed to scale to cope an increase which was happening anyway, or something else?

srw

I'm still not sure what to think of that. Does that mean the horribly narrow cycle track actually did encourage numbers on that route to rise to the point cycling more dedicated road space made sense, or that it had dangerously failed to scale to cope an increase which was happening anyway, or something else?
Who knows? And does it really matter? The new arrangement (which appears to be a year-long experiment) is much better than the old one, although I'm not sure about the lane separators, and half of the bollards (the ones by the kerb) are unnecessary and positively dangerous.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Please can you tell me which of http://www.cycling-embassy.org.uk/people have taken over LCC?
Are you always so literal?

btw your link is merely a list of CEGB officials...

tatr

But all these cyclists who have materialised because of the new tracks and are now cycling further, what do they do when the said track drops them in some hell hole like Elephant and Castle or around Bank or around Kings Cross and they have no experience of cycling on typical London streets?

Elephant and Castle is being dug up at the moment to make it more cycle friendly (new cycle lanes all over the place, as well as getting rid of the roundabout which should make riding in the road less terrifying if you chose to do that) and as someone else said Bank is being redesigned as well.

A new Vauxhall Cross scheme is currently in consultation which will remove the gyratory and improve the cycle lanes. King's Cross gyratory is also due to be removed - consultation will start in 2016 for this one - and the redesign will almost certainly include new cycle lanes.

You can't really expect them to dig up the whole of London all at once - although they seem to be trying! The amount of cycle-related work going on in central London is pretty amazing.

martint235

Dog on a bike
You miss my point. No matter how many litres of blue paint you use, cyclists at some point will have to be on the road. Better to spend the money making the roads safer than waste it on blue paint

srw

The Bank proposals and the (ongoing) removal of the Aldgate gyratory are both about making the road safer for all road users, not about blue paint and segregation. The improvements to the segregation in Bloomsbury are about restricting motorised traffic and turning much more of the road over to bikes - essentially it's a massive contraflow bike lane. I don't know anything about Vauxhall, King's Cross or Elephant and Castle.

Top Bottom