England : Northumberland Kielder forest road and Cross Border trail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Before my 71st I have a fancy to ride from Edinburgh to Carlisle in one day, I want to use the Carter Bar road in to England. I see there is a forest drive over to Kielder and a connecting "Cross Border" ride to Newcastleton. This route would save me a ride down to Hexham on a motor bike plagued road. Can any one advice me whether or not these two trails are suitable for a touring bike with marathon + tires. I will be travelling light. I have walked in Kielder forest but have only rode round the reservoir trail,

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Kielder Forest Drive links the A68 to Kielder village.

It is signed as suitable for cars, so ought to be fine on a tourer with Marathon pluses.

Having said that, it has always been shut - to cars - each time I've been there, so worth checking in advance with the forest rangers.

http://www.visitkielder.com/contact

Thanks Reiver, I want to go over the Carter Bar to visit the site of the Redeswire Fray. Original plan was to carry on, on the A68 to the B6320 & B6318 into Haltwhistle. But I was also considering doubling back on the A6088 to the B6357 and down through the Netherby estates. Then I remembered the forest road from my walking days in Kielder but I only crossed over it, I never really used it. I also remember walking over the tops from Newcastleton in to Kielder and returning via Simon burn (fit knackering days!!)

Top Bottom