Knee advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,
I've taken your advice and I'm going to see a sports physio on Saturday.
@ayceejay, it wasn't the doctor that told me about the muscles snapping, I read that online.
Since my first post I've been trying to do some long walks (first a 7mile then a 3 mile) in my lunch break which seems to have caused some slight swelling in my knee - which is good as I have my appointment sat.
@Crackle, that sounds painful, have you found he exercises have helped? I've been given some exercises (the doctor printed them off for me) but they don't seem to be helping but again that's something that I'll raise on sat, fingers crossed it helps.
Yes, the excercises are helping, stretching, rolling, strengthenig. Slow process but I'm nearly back on the bike, running will take longer.

As Ayceejay says, you need to ice your knee if you've got swelling. Good luck at the physio.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've had knee problems for years, including multiple traumatic dislocations of the kneecap.
After years of physio - rolling, stretching, muscle building, stretching, rolling etc I'm now looking at surgery after the last incident.

Cycling helps me...I rode the Manchester - Blackpool charity ride this year the day after I dislocated the kneecap again.
I could ride, but not walk more than 2 or 3 yards..... but I know what works for me and have Ok'd things with a sports physio.

Basic advice I was given was - "Do what you want. It it hurts - stop. Oh and no twisting of the knee - especially when straight, so avoid sports where that's likely.... namely rugby, squash and martial arts".

So that's me buggered then :smile:

OP
OP
R

redrum

Well I went to see the physio at the weekend. Turns out that my right gluteal muscle is weak which is causing my knee cap to move out of alignment. It explains why my knee is sore and swollen as the bones are rubbing together (app the cause of arthritis) so are very bruised. I've been given some strengthening exercises that focus on the gluteal so fingers crossed they work :smile:
Thanks again all for your help!

Crackle - I'm glad the exercises are helping and hope they continue too.
Kestevan - ouch! I don't think I'd have been able to go that. I'm hoping to do a charity ride either next year or the year after, I did the London to Brighton in '09 so think it's time I did another one :smile:

PK99

Legendary Member
Well I went to see the physio at the weekend. Turns out that my right gluteal muscle is weak which is causing my knee cap to move out of alignment. It explains why my knee is sore and swollen as the bones are rubbing together (app the cause of arthritis) so are very bruised. I've been given some strengthening exercises that focus on the gluteal so fingers crossed they work :smile:
Thanks again all for your help!

Crackle - I'm glad the exercises are helping and hope they continue too.
Kestevan - ouch! I don't think I'd have been able to go that. I'm hoping to do a charity ride either next year or the year after, I did the London to Brighton in '09 so think it's time I did another one :smile:

Any recommendation re cycling now? or not until the strengthening exercises have done their job?

OP
OP
R

redrum

I did ask about cycling, and swimming, he's said that I have to wait until my muscles are stronger. On a plus side though I've been doing the exercises daily since sat and have had less knee pain so hopefully I'll be back in the saddle (and pool) by the end of the year :smile:

PK99

Legendary Member
I did ask about cycling, and swimming, he's said that I have to wait until my muscles are stronger. On a plus side though I've been doing the exercises daily since sat and have had less knee pain so hopefully I'll be back in the saddle (and pool) by the end of the year :smile:

Good that you have the proper advice but shame it may take a while - I fondly recall working my knee against rubber bands round the table leg while watching Tv- but it worked! do what the physio says!

I trust BTW you did ignore the advice up thread to cycle as it is a knee friendly activity or that cycling will definitely help - as i said, the ONLY medical advice to follow from random strangers on the internet is "Go see a real medic or physio"

ayceejay

Guru
Good that you have the proper advice but shame it may take a while - I fondly recall working my knee against rubber bands round the table leg while watching Tv- but it worked! do what the physio says!

I trust BTW you did ignore the advice up thread to cycle as it is a knee friendly activity or that cycling will definitely help - as i said, the ONLY medical advice to follow from random strangers on the internet is "Go see a real medic or physio"

You don't do too well on the old reading comprehension PK do you.?
Thankfully redrum did what was the consensus of opinion but took the advice offered outside that in the spirit that it was intended. You on the other hand misread what vickster wrote and attached an attitude to my post that wasn't there.
People often write to this forum with their injury problems but I don't think they are generally speaking dumb enough to expect someone here to fix it for them and are looking for "Did you think of -this" "Did you try - this" "In my experience - this" kind of thing.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You don't do too well on the old reading comprehension PK do you.?
Thankfully redrum did what was the consensus of opinion but took the advice offered outside that in the spirit that it was intended. You on the other hand misread what vickster wrote and attached an attitude to my post that wasn't there.
People often write to this forum with their injury problems but I don't think they are generally speaking dumb enough to expect someone here to fix it for them and are looking for "Did you think of -this" "Did you try - this" "In my experience - this" kind of thing.
I did the misread on the PK99 post, I thought it said to cycle not what it did say. Cycling is generally good for injured knees but obviously check with a qualified NHS Physiotherapist first. BTW anyone can call themselves a sports physio or personal trainer unless they work in a Hospital I wouldn't trust them with my knee or my new injuries.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've not seen an NHS physio but I have seen 3 extremely qualified chartered physios privately over the last 5 years, two in a private hospital one in a private multi-physio practice. My current physio did say to avoid sole practitioners, but more as in a multi practice you are more likely to find someone with an expertise in your issue

And what I said before was...

Cycling generally a knee friendly activity as long as don't go mad initially, bike set up correctly and spinning rather than grinding

I would cycle in conjunction with a tailored programme from a sports physio

The OP had presumably seen a medical professional in advance of posting as had a diagnosis

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

redrum

My physio is private (sadly as more expensive) however I was given the advice of an NHS physio to check them on the Health Professionals Council website. If they're on there then it means they are constantly up to date with the new rules and regs etc.
PK99 yes I did, sorry Vickster. I understand that cycling is a good way to help knees so hopefully once mine are strong enough I can stop this issue from coming back again by cycling :smile:
rualexander sadly breaststroke is the only one that I can do because of my ankle. It's a tricky situation, well I think it is, as breaststroke helps my ankle but not my knee and anything else may help my knee but wont help my ankle.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice, hopefully when I can get back on the bike I can ask if there's anyone near me who can suggest cycle routes etc :smile:

Top Bottom