kosher chicken?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, my sister is hooked on The Apprentice, so I happened to see it last night, and apart from simply confirming my idea that I'd hate it, I was sort of amazed at the whole kosher confusion thing (basically, the teams had to buy specific stuff as cheaply as possible in the souk in Marrakesh, and one item was a kosher chicken - and one team ended up getting a halal chicken instead, apparently not sure what kosher really signified.) I say sort of, because thinking about it, ignorance isn't that surprising these days perhaps. Perhaps most amazing that the team involved included a 'good Jewish lad' (his words)...

So how many of us would have understood the distinction? I certainly knew that kosher and halal, although pretty similar, aren't the same thing, but we ended up looking it up on the net to find out the finest detail (it seems to be kosher, the chicken must be slaughtered by a pious Jewish man - so although kosher and halal are the same in terms of how the animal is killed, kosher food couldn't be killed by a Muslim - if anyone knows better, I bow to their knowledge...)

Of course afterwards, they all blamed each other, and I wondered whether they actually knew, but in their desire to win, either got confused or decided to ignore their knowledge. In which case, how valuable is a prize (either this prize specifically, or just 'success' in modern capitalist terms generally) that makes you so focussed you ignore knowledge or ideas like that?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I watched the programme the whole way through for the first time last night and was amazed that they didn't know what Kosher meant. With everything that is going on in the world you really would of thought that these supposedly intelligent people would know the distinction between Halal and Kosher meat.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I thought they achieved more than i thought they could when they managed to get a chicken!

Alan should have had some real fun and sent them off for a joint of Kosher Pork

zimzum42

Legendary Member
They are always thick, I wonder how they get through....

Anyway,

CAN I ASK THAT NOONE GIVE AWAY THE RESULT OF THIS EPISODE!!!!!

I HAVE TO WAIT A FEW DAYS BEFORE SOMEONE UPLOADS IT TO YOUTUBE AND I DON'T WANT IT GIVEN AWAY!!!!!!!!!

Goddamn BBC, why can't they let iPlayer be used outside the UK?

Yep, I was amazed. Don't forget these are meant to be the best out of however many thousands applied (OK best for TV but surely they have to be literate at least).

I don't think they needed the level of knowledge that you are displaying, Arch, they just needed to know that 'kosher' is a Jewish term and then consult their guidebook and go to the place marked 'Jewish area'. Rocket science this isn't!!

At the end of the day, I could have done that task on my own, they had 12 hours and what they basically were asked to do was......go shopping.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
But was it kosher used in the the religious sense or were they using kosher in the 'wide boy, Alan Sugar, east end of London' sence to mean 'proper'.

This seems plausible because it's not unheard of in the markets of Marrakesh, for some local trader to try and pass off a skinned cat covered in stick on feathers as a chicken to some bunch of yuppy twit tourists, hence Mr Sugar's insistence they get a 'kosher' chicken. ("Yeah, make sure it's a proper job").

He knows you can't be too careful.

Tetedelacourse

I knew what halal meant and I know that kosher is a Jewish term, but if someone asked me to get a kosher chicken I wouldn't know exactly what that meant! As Morrissette said though, I'd know to find a Jew and ask him!

ChrisKH

Guru
My understanding of Kosher in this context is only the religious one. Using the word Kosher in any other context is just the spread of Yiddish into every day life. Certain sects require the food to be blessed by a Rabbi or the Chief Rabbi to be truly Kosher. Or certified by the same as being acceptable. Just look on the side of a box of Matzo meal the next time you are in the ethnic section of the supermarket. Even then you can have red or blue foods (a way of simple labeling) that certifies food is for normal everyday use and Passover use.

There's no way that that geezer had any Jewish in him. I suspect it was said for dramatic effect or mistakenly to get Sugar on his side. Maybe a distant relative was Jewish (e.g. Jesus). :smile:

LLB

Steve Austin said:
I thought they achieved more than i thought they could when they managed to get a chicken!

Alan should have had some real fun and sent them off for a joint of Kosher Pork

Alan Sugar is an ordained Rabbi, so chance of this would be slim IMO

Tetedelacourse

ChrisKH said:
My understanding of Kosher in this context is only the religious one. Using the word Kosher in any other context is just the spread of Yiddish into every day life. Certain sects require the food to be blessed by a Rabbi or the Chief Rabbi to be truly Kosher. Or certified by the same as being acceptable. Just look on the side of a box of Matzo meal the next time you are in the ethnic section of the supermarket. Even then you can have red or blue foods (a way of simple labeling) that certifies food is for normal everyday use and Passover use.

There's no way that that geezer had any Jewish in him. I suspect it was said for dramatic effect or mistakenly to get Sugar on his side. Maybe a distant relative was Jewish (e.g. Jesus). :smile:

:?:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i know that halal pertains to islam, and kosher to judaism (although not the particular details). i'd have made sure i got it from a jewish supplier. entertainment it maybe, but the level of ****wittery on the apprentice is absurd, given that they are all meant to be "high flyers". :smile:

yours truly is of the faith:smile:

I didnt watch the programme ,but all i can say is, for anyone to pass off anything kosher when they know it isnt,its tantamount to treason !!!

for chicken or meat to be kosher it must have a cloven hoof and chew the cud,be killed in a certain way,be salted then rinsed and then repeated (or something similar) there are also cuts of meat that arent kosher i.e rump steak(back end of a cow) ,legs of lamb are the same.fish must have fins and scales,shellfish isnt kosher either as they are bottom feeders

then you have to pay copious amounts of money to relevant authorities for a license to say its kosher and be blessed,otherwise your history !!! same with caterers your name is in tatters and business will fail.many times here in north london its happened and there is no way back

and the price of kosher meat is a rip-off approx £11 for a chicken its the same with all food thats kosher a rip-off,they dont even use strawberries or raspberries in kosher bakers !

the dietary laws also state ,that you must wait 1/2 hr after consuming dairy products before eating meat products and 3 hours the other way,so if you go into McDavid's in Dizengoff Street Tel-Aviv like I did last year ,you will not see cheese on the menu;)

I was led to believe that there weren't any Jewish people in the "Jewish Quarter" of Marakesh and hadn't been for many years so I was surprised that they managed to find a Kosher butcher. Was the butcher certified or was "is it Kosher?" as much research that was done?

Another thing I found amusing was the "nice Jewish boy" crossing himself before he went into Sugar's office, do Jewish people cross themselves?

Top Bottom