kosher chicken?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I watched The Apprentice last night and I'm pretty sure they knew what kosher meant (especially the 'nice jewish boy'!) and that it was their desperate attempt to fulfill the task at any cost that they tried to pass off a halal chicken for a kosher one. Last night's episode was a bit of a farce.

As I understand it, for the meat of an animal to be made halal, it must be killed by a muslim. That said, kosher meat can be eaten by muslims in the absence of readily available halal meat (something I have done myself when was in the U.S. once).

I don't know if this applies to kosher, but halal means 'permissible' and applies to anything (eaten or otherwise) which is permissible in Islam. Riding a bike, for example, is halal, but riding it down a crowded high street stark bolloknekkid probably isn't...

ChrisKH

Guru
Do you eat Kosher gezza or keep it for the religious days/passover? Or just opt out unless strictly necessary (e.g. when in Jerusalem or at relatives who keep the laws)?

ChrisKH said:
Or just opt out unless strictly necessary (e.g. when in Jerusalem or at relatives who keep the laws)?

correct, I dont keep kosher at home otherwise i would need two kitchens or a very large one !!and its a total rip-off !, my parents wont have anything non-kosher(meat ,fish etc) in their house and as for Israel ,you just go with the flow

ChrisKH

Guru
If I ask my family what the meaning of life is, my wife says 42 and my kids say "Cheeeeeeeese".

Don't ask me why. 42 is obvious. Virtual pint if anyone can tell me what the cheese reference is.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
For a chicken to be kosher, it has to be circumcised on the Sabbath, by a Rabbi, with an easterly wind.
The people on that programme really are the worst kind of "driven" ignoramuses... not a clue, just an interest in showing that they have the drive to stamp on the others; and I'm fairly confident they would have searched for kosher pork if asked to. :biggrin:

Jaded

They couldn't get kosher chicken and they didn't know what 'green' means.

Oh, and the bargaining over the bedspread was gobsmacking! If I was team leader I'd have whisked Claire off to a Rabbi and had her killed in the kosher way instead of the chicken.

gbb

Legendary Member
In answer to Arch....i dont know the exact rules re halal or kosher, but it occurred to me they just put their brains into 'park' mode while sourcing the chicken. They just were'nt thinking.

At first, i thought the episode was rather pointless...a simple shopping expedition.
But the makers have thought of every angle. 'Simple'....theres no such thing. Even a 'simple' shopping trip can go horribly wrong when the pressures on:biggrin:

Canrider

Guru
Chris: Wallace and Gromit?

gbb: 'park' mode or they were perished by the heat of the Marrakech souk?
My question is far more basic: Why watch it in the first place when you more profitably could be poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick instead? :biggrin:

Jaded

Uncle Mort said:
There is still a Jewish community in Marrakesh, so it must be possible to get a proper kosher chicken there. But I suppose it would require a modicum of intelligence and planning...

The other team knew what kosher was, did research and went to the Jewish area to get their chicken.

Renard

gezza said:
couldnt of been me as i cant stand cheese:smile:

My lad is cheesophobic. Just the idea of it makes him wretch. His sister is the opposite and will deliberately try to wind him up when she is eating some. It usually ends in tears.

Top Bottom