Lack of energy and sore muscles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonclarke10

Regular
Hi,

My name is Jon I am from Telford in shropshire and I have just started cycling again, I used to cycle a lot of when I was younger.

I don't know where to post the below so I will try and start here. I am getting back in to road riding and I am cycling to work and back everyday, Since this my quads are constantly sore and I lose energy quick, which I think is down to my diets, can anyone recommend what sort of foods I should be eating which doing all the miles?

Thanks

Jon.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If you have literally just started then your muscles will take a little time to adapt.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Hi, @jonclarke10 :welcome:. For the food, just stick to healthy foods, i.e. no over-processed foods, not too much fat, sugar, etc. everything in moderation :smile:. I cycle a lot each week, but just eat my normal diet. Ensure you drink plenty, to avoid dehydration. If you drink isotonic mixtures for the longer rides, that can help with the energy levels, but avoid brands such as Powerade and Gatorade because they have too much sugar. You can get energy drink tablets such as High5 or Nuun which you just combine with water.
As for the quads aching, that will reduce over time. It may not disappear completely, though: I've been cycling my whole life and my quads still ache every day, although this may be because I ride distances at or near the limit of what's practical for the daily commute, so my legs are continually being tested.
Welcome to the CC fora :thumbsup:.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Welcome to cycle chat Jon!
Maybe try to cycle a bit slower until your body gets used to the new exercise.
I know I do get sore when I try to up my speed over my comfort zone, and I've been cycling practically every day for the last couple of years.
Also, I think you're meant to do some stretching after a strenuous cycle :unsure:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
:welcome: to CC Jon.
The sore legs and energy drops should pass once you get used to the exercise again.
What sort of mileage are you doing daily? If you are doing too much too soon, that will impact on your muscles. Give your body time to get used to it all.

If you think that your diet needs tweaking, just tweak it. Having said that, I had a huge pile of chips last night :hungry: but riding today was fine. Then again, I don't do the big pile of chips thing very often at all. Pasta is generally helpful IMO.

OP
OP
jonclarke10

jonclarke10

Regular
Hi guys,

Thank you everyone for their comments, I will take these on boards, I have been doing for 4miles to work and 4 miles back and every now and again I will do another 6 or 9 miles after tea.

Hi guys,

Thank you everyone for their comments, I will take these on boards, I have been doing for 4miles to work and 4 miles back and every now and again I will do another 6 or 9 miles after tea.
HI & welcome

I used to do a similar distance to and from work, and it exhausted me. The best things I ever did was change my route and double it. I was finding that with 4 miles each way I barely had time to warm up before I had stopped. 8 miles each way on the other hand got me much fitter in the long run and it became so much easier.
Keep at it, it will get easier.

Also remember that a commute is not a race and you don't have to go flat out and exhaust yourself. Cycle at something like 90% not 100% and you will feel better for it and not be quite so exhausted come the end of the day/week.

Boon 51

Veteran
Hi Jon..
I had a similar problem as you have but I lost weight too.
I felt better after some whey protein in a milk shake and a bit more food on the way round my bike ride and as others have said.. just take it a bit more easier on your ride.
Good luck :smile:

OP
OP
jonclarke10

jonclarke10

Regular
HI & welcome

I used to do a similar distance to and from work, and it exhausted me. The best things I ever did was change my route and double it. I was finding that with 4 miles each way I barely had time to warm up before I had stopped. 8 miles each way on the other hand got me much fitter in the long run and it became so much easier.
Keep at it, it will get easier.

Also remember that a commute is not a race and you don't have to go flat out and exhaust yourself. Cycle at something like 90% not 100% and you will feel better for it and not be quite so exhausted come the end of the day/week.

Thank you for your reply, I will try and do a few more longer rides out to try and help this then and see how I go from here thanks.

Top Bottom