Lampard escapes prosecution.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brads

I struggle to see an issue with someone checking their phone whilst sitting still in non moving traffic.
And that Mike’s guy is a total pillock

winjim

Smash the cistern
I struggle to see an issue with someone checking their phone whilst sitting still in non moving traffic.
Firstly, have you thought about the potential issues? Secondly, the law disagrees with you. Thirdly, Lampard's car appears to move off while he is still using the phone.

Alex321

Veteran
It will be taking your attention away from the road, which means you might not notice as quickly when the traffic does move, and then you are unlikely to just instantly drop it as you start to move, if you are in the middle of whatever you were doing on it.

You should only ever be holding your phone if you have pulled over, right out of the traffic. The official interpretation I believe requires you to turn the engine off as well, but I don't think that should be necessary.

His aims are laudable, his methods less so. Though in this case, his method was just to video and report, which is absolutely what he should be doing.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'll illustrate the issue with a real life recent example. A good friend of mine was checking his phone (perfectly legal in the US) while waiting at a red light to turn across traffic. The lights changed, he was slow to notice and got beeped from behind, so he set off quickly without really noting the presence or the pace of an oncoming car, and he had a glancing head-on.

When your head is down looking at your phone you're simply not seeing the traffic situation developing around you. When you look up, it takes a few seconds of observation for the brain to note everything that's changed. Drivers need to stay alert even if in traffic, and leave the phone checking for when they're not in a car.

Top Bottom