Lanyards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Anyone who chooses something daft like a lanyard as their protest battleground with their employer probably needs to get some perspective on what's important in life. Because not wearing a bit of branded cloth is really sticking it to the man isn't it.

It's just..yeah, you're right.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
I have to have a different one for each job I do, they can amass fairly rapidly !!

View attachment 153734

You win.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The first time I wore a lanyard was in the 22 West Kent Boys Brigade in about 1965. It had a whistle on the end that I had to blow on special occasions like us scoring a point for doing stuff.

I presently wear one, but it doesn't have to be on show. It has one important function, apart from access to work sites and fire registration, in that it operates the coffee and sandwich machines.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Never had to wear one and hope I never will; everybody knows everybody where I work.
Ah, but that's the point: how do you know the person without pass is a new employee or an intruder?
One time I had a woman gatecrashing a conference for the free tea and biscuits!

Lanyard and cards keep no one and nothing safe.
But the pass attached to it opens doors!

I was wearing 4 today at work: my pass, one with a bottle opener, one with a till fob, and one belonging to a colleague operating the beer machine, because it kept dropping in the beer :laugh:

I wear my badge on my belt, but others wear them on a lanyard. Almost every place I've worked for the last 25 years has required me to wear some sort of picture id and security badge. To just get my office in the mornings I have to badge to get into the parking garage, badge to get into the building (at least before 7am), badge through the turn gate (one person at a time), take the lift to my floor, badge to get on the floor and then badge again to get to my cube farm.

It could be worse, we could be asked to have a chip inserted under our skin rather than just wear a lanyard... http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31042477

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I agree with you. I was only responding to a previous poster's comment about deskbound a'holes, which I thought was pretty unreasonable.
For a site with classified information, as part of a decent security system, maybe, but even then, wouldn't a badge clip do the same job?

For access to a public meeting room in an area containing only public meeting rooms and some toilets, a "lanyards visible" policy is probably set by a holes. Especially if visitors are given generic ones and no one demands them back on exit. What security?

screenman

Legendary Member
An "old trick" from "back in the day"? With a Garmin...

Used to do it with the HRM back in about 92, were Garmins about then?

Drago

Legendary Member
Anyone who chooses something daft like a lanyard as their protest battleground with their employer probably needs to get some perspective on what's important in life. Because not wearing a bit of branded cloth is really sticking it to the man isn't it.

As it happens, my little acts of rebellion were over two important points.

1. Their security was for s***, and as they dismissed my suggestion as to how crap it was proved it for over a year. And still they didn't listen. As a member of the public I'd be quite alarmed at the 'lip service only' attitude to security of matters involving serious and organised crime and national security. I'm quite alarmed that a fellow M.O.P. should think that me highlighting matters of such demonstrates a lack of perspective. I mean, what's the point of it all when on a Sunday the cleaner was going in and out of our office, unaccompanied and un-vetted? But the people responsible were far too busy mapping their career paths to listen to a humble sergeant.

2. I objected on moral grounds to an exception being made to the lanyard rule for those supporting gay or minority associations. Why should you get dispensation to ignore a rule, no matter how minor, because of your sexual orientation or skin colour?

Neither really filled my life with angst and worry, and took only seconds to deploy. Hardly a life affirming act of emptiness.

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I like to wear my lanyard Stallone in Nam bandana stylee.
giphy.gif

Top Bottom