Leaving a lock attached to a bike rack or similar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcard

Veteran
Is this acceptable behaviour? Would the council or police ever cut it off if left for a day or two?

I figure I'd have to remove it if someone else gets my spot first, but does anyone else do this to save lugging around heavy locks?

daSmirnov

My other half left her lock on the racks at the train station in Aldershot for months, I suggested doing that as the thing weighed about 3kgs, twas one of those massive chain locks. Loads of other locks left on the racks there too so seemed a common practice.

If I'd leave a lock on a rack that had no other locks on it, probably not for any length of time.

scotty110788

I leave 3 where i work in a 2 story underground car park, and there is plenty more there. i think its the last thing on the councils mind tbh as newcastle is littered with them.

Depends...

I have no problem withthe locks as this is merely the convenence of saving the weight on your commute......

However there are a few who consider that leaving the lock "reserves the space"...... that is unacceptable.

I carry my lock as I sometimes need to lock up on my way home. When I locked up at work about a month ago there was a lock on the wheel bender stand that I locked up to.
Instead of moving the lock the owner stretched it across to the next space to lock their bike up maybe they were trying to "send a message". If they were it didn't work!:smile:
I have no problem with people leaving locks as long as they realise it doesn't reserve the space.

Same as most I leave mine on the rack at work.
I get a bit territorial if someone has taken my place if I start late - or is it just lazy cos I have to move it?

Also handy to have at work if not going straight home and need a lock.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Outside the council offices in Rotherham, they have half a dozen, individual, steel cycle lockers. All you need to secure your bike is a padlock. One of these was unoccupied with 'reserving' padlock on it for months.
I don't think you'll have any problems leaving a lock on a stand.

Is this acceptable behaviour? Would the council or police ever cut it off if left for a day or two?

I figure I'd have to remove it if someone else gets my spot first, but does anyone else do this to save lugging around heavy locks?

Of course:thumbsup:

Theres a fair few left where I park up, I tend to carry mine as I like having it with me. I will admit to having preferred spots but I don't mind if someone else is there first.....

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I leave a spare cable lock at my son's school for the occasions when I forget his D-lock. (I only lock it with the cable lock long enough for me to cycle home and get the D-lock.) But I usually carry my D-lock as I don't know when I might pop into a shop.

I think the main downsides from leaving a lock attached to a stand is that the weather can get to it over a long period of time, or that those with less than perfect intentions can get to the lock and tamper with it in the hope that might leave your bike not properly secured.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
No problem with locks being left, for my part anyway.

Personally I carry my U lock on a bracket on the bike so it's not something I think about. Mine is always on me.

I leave a spare cable lock at my son's school for the occasions when I forget his D-lock. (I only lock it with the cable lock long enough for me to cycle home and get the D-lock.) But I usually carry my D-lock as I don't know when I might pop into a shop.

I think the main downsides from leaving a lock attached to a stand is that the weather can get to it over a long period of time, or that those with less than perfect intentions can get to the lock and tamper with it in the hope that might leave your bike not properly secured.

I had 1 lock freeze up on me after leaving it outside, copious amounts of WD40 failed to free the mechanism so I left it like some sort of calling card. Thinking about it I should have left the key in as well as some kind of Crystal Maze challenge for others to try and free it^_^

Outside the council offices in Rotherham, they have half a dozen, individual, steel cycle lockers. All you need to secure your bike is a padlock. One of these was unoccupied with 'reserving' padlock on it for months.
I don't think you'll have any problems leaving a lock on a stand.

We rent ours at £2 per month so in that case I do "own" the space

P5240046-1.jpg

Top Bottom