Leeds to Scarborough Saturday September 24: The Yorkshire Adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wanda2010

Guru
Bother!

That's the same weekend as birthday celebrations for two friends. As much as they love me they would not be pleased if I wasn't there.

KneesUp

Guru
Just out of interest, like, what sort of average speed was the Llandudno one?

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

I'm not sure because we split up a bit at varying points and some took hillier or flatter options.

We had good weather so I would guess most managed 12mph moving average plus stops. Having said that, folk tend to split up after lunch so if some want to take it easy and ride a bit slower that's fine. Just need to be aware of likely arrival time into Scarborough

mike3121

my average speed was 10.9mph, it was getting slower and slower towards the end

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
NCN R1 / the North Sea Route runs up the coast,although the bit near Filey looks quite a way inland - all nice quiet country lanes though.
I was in Scarborough yesterday and although I wasn't particularly looking for it, I think it's a "shared path" alongside the A165 there - however, you can nip down a side street and ride along the very pleasant cliff top Esplanade, past where they used to film The Royal.

I wouldnt mind joining this little jaunt, one thing that does strike me is that theres no way all those bikes are going to get on the train. On a weekend also people tend to obviously be staying in Scarborough and this means that on the return journey home they like to put their luggage in the bike bay. Even coming home from York with my bike on the train a couple of people with luggage looked at my bike because they wanted the space.
Transpennine staff are pretty friendly towards bikes. There were a good few more than two on my train back from the Scarborough TdY finish. Sadly - that is a generalisation; Transpennine do have a few rules-bound jobsworths.

But there's plenty of trains! And if I happen to be thrown off the 16.45, it's a welcome opportunity to revisit the Stumble Inn (and stumble on to the next train :cheers:).

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I wouldnt mind joining this little jaunt, one thing that does strike me is that theres no way all those bikes are going to get on the train. On a weekend also people tend to obviously be staying in Scarborough and this means that on the return journey home they like to put their luggage in the bike bay. Even coming home from York with my bike on the train a couple of people with luggage looked at my bike because they wanted the space.

If the Llandudno ride is anything to go by there will be a very staggered (see what I did there?) departure from Scarborough. Some will leave almost immediately, some will get the last train on Saturday. Some will leave at a respectable time on Sunday morning. Me...I'll do some cycling on Sunday and go home in the afternoon probably

Hopefully the bikes on trains rules are enforced in a similar way too. That is, so long as the bikes aren't causing a major obstruction then as many as you like

I should add that on the Llandudno ride most people stopped over and went home the next day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
NCN R1 / the North Sea Route runs up the coast,although the bit near Filey looks quite a way inland - all nice quiet country lanes though.
I was in Scarborough yesterday and although I wasn't particularly looking for it, I think it's a "shared path" alongside the A165 there - however, you can nip down a side street and ride along the very pleasant cliff top Esplanade, past where they used to film The Royal.

The Cleveland Way is advertised as a cycling route between Filey and Scarborough and would make for a lovely way to arrive along the coast. However, it sounds like it may not be suitable for road bikes. Any experience of this?

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
my average speed was 10.9mph, it was getting slower and slower towards the end

But the key is that you still got to the destination in plenty of time for something to eat and some laughs in the pub in the evening.

That's the way I want it to run. Everyone can ride at the pace they feel comfortable with, no pressure. But it's up to the individual to make sure they get to the destination at the time they want to get there.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
I was on a virgin train at chester. There were 2 bikes in the 4 hangers when 5 more riders got on. 2 bikes went on the remaining hooks the remaining 3 just stood up with their bikes until manchester. I don't know what would have happened if the guard came down the train. But he didn't so no problems.

Top Bottom