level crossings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

That bloke in the 1st video was one lucky geezer.

longers

Legendary Member
The first guy in the first clip :biggrin:

I couldn't watch much more than that, I feel sorry for the train drivers.

A few years ago while on a big walk with half a dozen dogs we decided to cut across the train track on a quiet line that only sees a train an hour. We tried to find out train times by phone but failed so went for it to cut about 3 miles off our journey.

The terrier lost his head and got caught up in the rabbit scents and we only just caught him and got across before the train nearly squished him.

Very stupid of us and it still makes me shudder.

thomas

the tank engine
Headgardener said:
Why did we ever get rid of solid wooden gates and crossing keepers for?

They do check the level crossings via cctv in a control room before putting the barriers down. If people are going to jump it, they'll do it either way.

Apparently a lot of morons get confused when the lights are red, but there isn't a barrier - jjeez

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
thomas said:
Apparently a lot of morons get confused when the lights are red, but there isn't a barrier - jjeez
They do here too, but we call them 'traffic lights'. :sun:

There's a set which some people just don't seem to see, coming out of Hebden Bridge on the Todmorden side. The A646 rises up to the lights then descends again. A side road goes up a steepish hill to Heptonstall. The traffic coming down the hill triggers the lights to give it access to the main road. I've watched the lights change to red for the main road and people coming that way sail through the lights a full 10 seconds after they changed. I was once walking across the road and had someone do that and nearly run me over. I gave them my Black Look of Death and stabbed a finger at the red light above my head and they looked genuinely shocked. What planet are they on! :evil:

Mr Pig

When I was in Poland last year there was a guy there who's teenage daughter had been killed driving over a Polish level crossing only a couple of years previously. Because the country is so flat presumably there are railways everywhere and few of the many level crossings are marked. It's obviously very dangerous as even the Poles don't trust them. Even when the crossing has barriers and lights they all slow right down and crawl across them.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
thomas said:

they should change the style of them to normal looking traffic lights if people are that thick

Mr Pig

buggi said:
they should change the style of them to normal looking traffic lights if people are that thick

Sounds sensible. Maybe they don't have green lights because they want people to treat them with caution at all times?

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
domd1979 said:
In Russia a lot of the level crossings are equipped with fairly substantial ramps that rise up out of the road when the lights go...

even worse! idiots will try to get over the ramp as its raising and then get well and truly stuck when they realise there is no chance of escape on the other side.

Mr Pig said:
Sounds sensible. Maybe they don't have green lights because they want people to treat them with caution at all times?

i can see that too. they need to introduce a CCTV at all crossings and a life time ban/heavy prison sentence for anyone caught on camera for running the risk (obviously it may be a bit difficult to trace peds but cars definitely).

Top Bottom