Lied to before starting a new job?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gromit

Über Member
Simple as that, my new employers have pulled the wool over my eyes, with their fascination and exciting new job. :biggrin:

Time to resign!? :biggrin:

yello

They're pretty much all like that Gromit.

Jobs a jobs a jobs a jobs, bap be bah be de bap de bah (name that tune!)

I lasted 3 weeks in a job once. I looked around on day 1 and just didn't want to be there...so I guess I gave it a fair go!

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
Its only day two of the job. Two and a half people were employed to tell and enthuse people about the place. They failed to tell us about lone working, which involves locking up the garden at 8.30pm making sure its cleared of public, most of them around that time will be drunken yobs trying to cause trouble. No one will be interested in plants or animals at that time.

Some people live in a bubble, and don't think that anything will happen to a women all alone in a park at night. I'm going to have no back up at all if anything goes wrong.

yello

Gromit said:
Some people live in a bubble, and don't think that anything will happen to a women all alone in a park at night. I'm going to have no back up at all if anything goes wrong.

I'd be voicing that concern pronto. If you don't get a decent response then walk. No job is worth that degree of concern. But do please give your new employers a chance, you might have misunderstood the situation.

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
We have discussed this with them, after we found out today. The other lady is scared because she has been assaulted whilst working on the buses, they promised her that she would not be put in that sort of situation, before she accepted the job.

The part-time guy will be only doing 18 hours so may not have to lock up at all, if he just works weekends.

My partner has wrote a letter voicing my concerns. Frankly I feel quite sick and upset about it, because with foresight, I would have turned it down and stuck with my old job.

Night Train

Maker of Things
What a pain! Is it possible to start looking elsewhere? Maybe some agency work to get you out of there?

I managed to catch a lying prospective employer before I commited.

I went to a job interview where I had some concerns already and didn't want to commit to the job until they were resolved. Asked loads of testing questions to my prospective Manager and then said I would need to think about the post as I didn't think it was right for me. Went off to the second part of the interview, which turned out to be in induction with the Director.

The Director had just got off the phone with the Manager having been told that I well very happy to accept the post! I soon put her right. I was then told that the permenant job advertised was only a six month contract so I refused the job out right.
Went back to the Manager and was congratulated on accepting the job. The Director had told the Manager that I was staying. I had to put her right too.

Anyway I got home and advised the agency that I wasn't taking the job. The agency had already processed the paper work having been told by the Director that they were happy to employ me and that I was starting the next week!;)

Interesting how a religious organisation with a religious leader as a Director were so fond of lying. I thought it would have been a sin.:blush:

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
The funny thing is that because its an newly created post, they were very vague with the job description, they didn't know what they wanted.

They promised a sort of urban ranger job, involving talking to the public and practical work, so I jumped at it. By day two of the job they have decided they would like us to be the eyes and ears of the gardens, to talk to people in the gardens, to stop thuggish behavior, to enforce the bylaws, to be alone in the garden when the museum has closed and ask the nice drunken people in the garden to move on.

No practical work involved, what happens during the winter when no one visits the garden? Stand around and freeze watching other people work. I am a practical person who gets board easily, dam it. I expect not to be lied to, especially when its too late to go back to my old job...

Globalti

Legendary Member
My first ever job interveiew was as a trade magazine scanner with British Steel at Port Talbot. They told me I was welcome to have the job if I wanted it but they thought I would die of boredom and it wasn't for me, so I didn't take it.

if the role is new and the spec deliberately vague, then plenty of scope to make it your own Gromit.
Managers don't know everything (some of them don't know much at all), and are sometimes looking for staff to take the lead.
Make sure you are very clear when you voice your safety concerns too.

Arch

Married to Night Train
cheadle hulme said:
if the role is new and the spec deliberately vague, then plenty of scope to make it your own Gromit.
Managers don't know everything (some of them don't know much at all), and are sometimes looking for staff to take the lead.
Make sure you are very clear when you voice your safety concerns too.

That's a good point, maybe you have to call their bluff a bit, and lay down your ideas, but I can see how annoying it is. I wouldn't want to be locking up the gardens alone at night.

Ranger

Gromit said:
The funny thing is that because its an newly created post, they were very vague with the job description, they didn't know what they wanted.

They promised a sort of urban ranger job, involving talking to the public and practical work, so I jumped at it. By day two of the job they have decided they would like us to be the eyes and ears of the gardens, to talk to people in the gardens, to stop thuggish behavior, to enforce the bylaws, to be alone in the garden when the museum has closed and ask the nice drunken people in the garden to move on.

No practical work involved, what happens during the winter when no one visits the garden? Stand around and freeze watching other people work. I am a practical person who gets board easily, dam it. I expect not to be lied to, especially when its too late to go back to my old job...

Gromit

This is not uncommon in the Ranger industry (guess what I do for a job). You often get senior managers see Rangers in action somewhere else and think we need some of them and organisations such as CABESpace are actively encouraging local authorities to start these urban ranger teams to make public spaces feel safer.

My suggestion would be to make of it what you can. As someone else has said if the job description is that vague just start doing what you want (just tell your line manager to cover your back) and asking for training, have a look at the Losehill Hall training booklet

The real big areas for urban rangering at the moment are community involvement and health. Presuming you work for a public body make the arguement that chasing people out of the Gardens is unsustainable in terms of staffing, it would be far better to look at design (Google Safe by Design) and increasing the community ownership and use of the area, it could lead onto volunteering, community groups etc. I would also suggest reading your corporate plan and finding ways to hit the targets in there.

On a final note, have you been in contact with any of the other Rangers in surrounding areas. They will be only to willing to give you advice and direction. If you want to have a chat pm me and I can gve you some contact details.

On the lone working, this is a real issue. I would ask if an adequate risk assessment has been carried out and what the outcome was, also it may be worth voicing your concerns to either your Union rep or the organisations health and safety officer.

yenrod

The majority of managers are total jerks !

And having had over 20 jobs - I know the 'good and bad' in a working environment !

Managers are simply you and me but are meant to 'manage' - ?????

Top Bottom