Lied to before starting a new job?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Gromit said:
Its the woolly thinking from a bunch of academics I cant stand, who want to put me in danger.

You know what us academics are like....:?:

That H and S bloke doesn't sound ideal, although at least he's interested in consultation. Great, that gives you whole months to get in danger....

Oh, I gather we're all set for Saturday? I'll ring Mum and brief her for invaders. Bring earplugs...:biggrin:

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
Arch said:
You know what us academics are like....:?:

That H and S bloke doesn't sound ideal, although at least he's interested in consultation. Great, that gives you whole months to get in danger....

Oh, I gather we're all set for Saturday? I'll ring Mum and brief her for invaders. Bring earplugs...:biggrin:

I'm sorry to cause offense to academics but, isn't it time they got their heads out of there books and looked at the real world. Its not all antiquities and dead things you know. :ohmy:

Saturday after the car boot sale, it would be grate to see the Cyclemagic lot again.

Oh its also my birthday :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Gromit said:
I'm sorry to cause offense to academics but, isn't it time they got their heads out of there books and looked at the real world. Its not all antiquities and dead things you know. :?:

Saturday after the car boot sale, it would be grate to see the Cyclemagic lot again.

Oh its also my birthday :biggrin:

I remember!

I think most of my (well, our) dept are pretty well up on risk assessment, what with the digs and all that. Esp the younger ones. I'd love to see a RA for Professor Carver's viking boat experiment..

(it got built, he sailed it, tried to tack normally with a square sail and found you can't. Result: entire crew dumped in freezing fjord. Picked up by boat, hot coffee handed round, person taking it shaking so much with cold, they got scalded... I think it was the 70's)

Gromit said:
I'm sorry to cause offense to academics but, isn't it time they got their heads out of there books and looked at the real world. Its not all antiquities and dead things you know. :?:

Oh its also my birthday :ohmy:

Happy birthday. Was that sufficiently 'real' for you? :biggrin:

Ranger

Gromit

Where exactly are you working, is it a Botanic Garden? I only say this because it sounds very much as if you are, if so I might be able to wangle a trip down to see you (and your bosses) in the very near future

Ranger

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
The Museum Gardens in York are being developed back into a Botanic Garden. Except people see it as a park, its going to be very difficult to reeducate chavs, druggies etc that its not a place to cause trouble anymore.

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
I had a very interesting day today, we were left on our own to have tours of the Museums with out the line manager, which would have been pleasant, however, a lot of the staff referred to us as the new security for the garden.

A security guard who worked in the gardens for 15 years, asked us did we know we had applied for a security role. He said he wouldn't return there if they paid him triple money and if he did, he would take some form of a weapon with him.

He said that there had been several rapes, a large security Gard had been assaulted and punched to the ground and someone had been stabbed with a hypodermic needle. He exact words were that they would eat us alive.

We followed everyone's advice and went to see the Unison Union rep, we had a chat and he advised us to quit. He said that we are in a bit of a predicament and even if we joined now we need to be a member for 13 weeks before we are entitled to any representation.

So none of us is in a situation were we can just walk out, our old jobs have been filled. The bosses wont be moved we are a bit stuck really. ;)

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Gromit, that sounds awful. It looks like you have to get out asap. I'd be signing on with as many tempt agencies as possible just to get any job if I was you. Disappointing, I know, as you were really looking forward to the job. Is it worth joining the union anyway in case you haven't found another job and are still there in 13 weeks?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I have to say, if the rep's best advice is to quit, that sounds bad (and useless!)...

Gromit, I was talking to someone here who's a guide in the museum (Hilary, bright red dyed hair, scottish, thought she might have met you already) and she seemed think it might be a case of hanging in there and working out who to latch on to to make suggestions, and trying to build the job around you, like peope have said. Although that was before I saw your last post, which does sound bad.

I don't suppose there's any hope that the guy who told you all the stuff was bigging it up because he's got fed up after 15 years? I know we all sometimes build up the negative a bit....

Arch

Married to Night Train
It's occured to me (and you won;t see this until it's too late) that if you came round the side of the Tempest Anderson hall and found the outlet for the air vent that leads to the computer room I'm in, we could have a conversation through it!:tongue: Although it might piss off the guy who's actually doing some work...

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
A lot can happen in 13 weeks, I don't want to be put in a situation where I could be physically hurt. They have let me down, I no longer feel safe.

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
Arch said:
I have to say, if the rep's best advice is to quit, that sounds bad (and useless!)...

Gromit, I was talking to someone here who's a guide in the museum (Hilary, bright red dyed hair, scottish, thought she might have met you already) and she seemed think it might be a case of hanging in there and working out who to latch on to to make suggestions, and trying to build the job around you, like peope have said. Although that was before I saw your last post, which does sound bad.

I don't suppose there's any hope that the guy who told you all the stuff was bigging it up because he's got fed up after 15 years? I know we all sometimes build up the negative a bit....

We also read the incident report book yesterday, some of the things the security chap told us have been noted, the security company keep separate records that we haven't access to yet.

Other members of staff have told us of incidents as well, they have seen security being verbally abused and have been unable to move the people on by themselves.

Ranger

Gromit said:
A lot can happen in 13 weeks, I don't want to be put in a situation where I could be physically hurt. They have let me down, I no longer feel safe.

If you don't trust or feel you can rely on your line manager I think you will always struggle to feel comfortable doing this job. I moved into a similar situation (as the Head Ranger and hence able to change the situation) where my team were seen as the security team. With the support of management I have been able to change this, though security is still an important part of my job, so we now run 2-3 family activities a week and spend lots of time doing the more rewarding stuff.

I guess the question is, how much do you need this job or the money that comes with it?

Top Bottom