Lied to before starting a new job?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Gromit said:
We also read the incident report book yesterday, some of the things the security chap told us have been noted, the security company keep separate records that we haven't access to yet.

Other members of staff have told us of incidents as well, they have seen security being verbally abused and have been unable to move the people on by themselves.

Bum, that sounds pretty conclusive. I must say, I'd not be happy in your position. York may not have such sinkholes as other places, but it has it's fair share of aresholes...

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
Our line manager said are you disappointed that you wont be doing any practical work on our first day, because they have gardeners already to do that type of work. He also seemed very cross on Wednesday when we said that we were not comfortable as females working alone, locking up the grounds. I don't think we will get any support from him or the manager. Being a new post as well, he has already told people that we will be the eyes and ears of the gardens and it has nothing to do with being a ranger.

They have misled us, lied and are still lying to us now.

Next week will be interesting, we are going around a few other public parks, one in Leeds and a few others in York.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Gromit said:
Our line manager said are you disappointed that you wont be doing any practical work on our first day, because they have gardeners already to do that type of work. He also seemed very cross on Wednesday when we said that we were not comfortable as females working alone, locking up the grounds. I don't think we will get any support from him or the manager. Being a new post as well, he has already told people that we will be the eyes and ears of the gardens and it has nothing to do with being a ranger.

Next week will be interesting, we are going around a few other public parks, one in Leeds and a few others in York.

Oh well, get all the good experience out of it that you can, I guess, and then leave them behind as soon as you can.

Ranger

Gromit said:

As a last ditch effort, why not suggest a visit to Edinburgh to see what we are doing up here, it is quite groundbreaking for a Botanic Garden (not that it is difficult to achieve that) and we are the first Ranger team in Europe and possibly the world to be operating out of a Botanic Garden.

Our principle aim is to "explore and explain the world of plants for a better future" which the ranger team are an integral part of in our programme of activities and events designed to enthuse people about the world of plants and equally importantly our Garden here in Edinburgh.

I can also talk to you about the management of public open space in urban/urban fringe environments, the tactics of security guards simply do not work in this environment the only way to improve things is through involving other agencies and getting local people using the space in a positive way.

I am sure I could organise a day for you that may well have more relevance than public parks which are a very different beast in their demands and usage patterns compared to Botanic Gardens, and there are a lot of basics that could be done that might improve the situation for everyone

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I'd consider having a word with the local or community Police and ask their advice viz safety.
If they recommended that the job supply you with a radio or mobile phone and possibly Pepper Spray(all the things a PCSO might carry)which would have to be payed for by your employer, they might have to start taking things a bit more seriously?

It does sound like they're spinning you a whole lot of flannel and I wouldn't blame you for walking. I had to leave a job once because nothing they promised ever came to light and when I found work for myself within the agreed criteria I was treated like a trouble maker.:bicycle:

Gromit, from what I read in your posts you will make a dedicated employee for the right employer, at the moment it just sounds like your talents and enthusiasm are being completely ignored or worse still patronised. As Arch says, get what you can out of this and then get out.

Arch

Married to Night Train
tdr1nka said:
Gromit, from what I read in your posts you will make a dedicated employee for the right employer, at the moment it just sounds like your talents and enthusiasm are being completely ignored or worse still patronised. As Arch says, get what you can out of this and then get out.

Arch also says, see you tomorrow and let's have a fun weekend and forget it all for a while....:bicycle:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
There are two seperate things here

1. You were lied to
2. The job is not safe

to which I'd suggest

1. Get over it - it's done. Sorry. It's crap, it's not right, but there is nothing you can do about it.
2. This has to be sorted.

I'd get back to the Unison rep in writing and say

1. The risk assessments for lone working after 6 pm are inadequate
2. You understand that staff have been assaulted
3. You haven't been shown all the records of assaults

and ask them to write a letter to the Chief Exec for you.

If the union refuses (or doesn't reply by return), get back to us. You've raised concerns with your line manager, but, as far as I can tell, you haven't put anything in writing. This seems to me to be a serious problem. If (heaven forfend) you, or one of your colleagues, come to harm then you're going to want to refer to something on paper. And, whether or not the H+S person is on holiday until June your employer has a responsibility now. A piece of paper puts them on notice that they have that responsibility.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Push this on H&S - you should not be working alone. God forbid, but if you or a colleague was assaulted, and you'd raised concerns, you could sue their pants off....

Wigsie

Nincompoop
fossyant said:
Push this on H&S - you should not be working alone. God forbid, but if you or a colleague was assaulted, and you'd raised concerns, you could sue their pants off....

I do agree which is why you must get all communication confirmed in writing which will protect you and your colleague should anything happen.... But honestly, is it really worth the risk?

If there has been a history of violent crimes including assaults and rapes you should not be even considering staying unless something is done! your H&S manager saying they would be interested in a risk assessment when they get back from Australia in June is sickening... ok so they get back and ask you for an assessment but you and/or your colleague have been violently attacked (or worse raped) and have permanent physical and mental damages its a bit late then for a risk assessment and maybe a measly can of pepper spray or a few grand in compensation is hardly going to ease the pain of crimes like that!

no job is worth the risk surely?

Top Bottom