Listen to Music or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aiden_23

I have always had my ipod on while running and cycling on my MTB however I am about to enter a new world..........the world of the Roadie!!! Any Roadies out there listen to their ipod while trying to beat land speed records. I have a 10 mile commute facing me and think some tunes would help me push myself however would this affect my concentration to the point I could become a danger??? Any advice is appreciated!!!!

snorri

Legendary Member
Well, the general consensus on this forum is....................see below.

rowan 46

Über Member
I listen to music but not loud however for some unknown reason I never do at night when I ride my road bike. I remember reading somewhere that fast music needs to be at a certain volume to affect driving ie loud it seems that people who play heavy rock loudly tend to be heavier on the gas. I haven't seen any studies on cyclists (I am sure there must be some)but my guess if is you are using it to keep cadence and effort up you need to play it loud. Whenever I have tried it it doesn't feel safe so it's turned down low enough to still hear traffic.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Take my example of commuting home tonight;

Riding through Leeds I see an MTB stopped at the lights on the cycle-bit. I pull up alongside, go "evening" and notice he's got ear plugs in.

The lights change - and he pulls right; didn't hear me, didn't check - and just misses me.

Listening to music = removing a vital sense = more likely accident / death

Not listening to music = still got hearing = avoidance / staying alive

Try it. Find the appropriate pair of earphones and volume and see if you like it. If you feel in danger because you can't hear, then don't bother.

Personally, I am very sensitive to any kind of noise, so I listen to my Walkman through my Etymotic noise isolating headphones. I don't have the music too loud, it blocks the wind out, and I can still hear the cars coming goodness knows how far away.

I don't think music makes that much difference to hearing traffic. Sure, the noise isolating earphones and music reduce the traffic noise a bit, but then I find when I'm not using them, the wind blocks it out just as much as the music anyway.

n.b. On the rare occasion when I am in a car, (with or without the radio or annoying talking passengers) I can't hear or see the other traffic anywhere near as good as in the above situation.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
No. Don't see how we can criticize pedestrians for doing so, and then do it ourselves. Applies to using phones on the bike too.

Gez73

Veteran
I don't and never would. Feels like a sense that's just not working and makes me feel very vulnerable. Up to the individual but for commuting in traffic I never do but occasionally do on traffic free trails. I've never felt it would push me further in terms of performance but ,I mostly commute and give myself loads of time. Try it and decide for yourself.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I sometimes have my headphones in, but only connected to my phone, with the small cable mic near my chest. Only so I can take calls whilst out. I do always pull over when I get a call, but when your wearing gloves and a jacket, trying to get that phone out before it rings off is difficult. Without music, the headphones make no difference to my road awareness. I personally wouldn't risk music no matter what the volume.

400bhp

Guru
It takes away some of your ability to hear what's around you. If you can live with that, then go for it. It's up to you. Just don't try to justify it by pretending that it makes no difference, or even actually improves your ability to hear....

+1

I prefer the silence of the ride too, gives me time to think.

400bhp

Guru
I sometimes have my headphones in, but only connected to my phone, with the small cable mic near my chest. Only so I can take calls whilst out. I do always pull over when I get a call, but when your wearing gloves and a jacket, trying to get that phone out before it rings off is difficult. Without music, the headphones make no difference to my road awareness. I personally wouldn't risk music no matter what the volume.

Is it really that important to answer your phone?

G-Zero

Über Member
I used to like my music when I was running, but my personal choice has never seen me on the bike with music playing.

I prefer to hear what's around me and occasionally I lapse in to song.... and beautiful it is too :music:

NOT !!

OP
OP
Aiden_23

Aiden_23

Thanks everyone, I will start off with no Music and see how it feels. I would rather be safe and alert than entertained. I was worried about spilling my tea and toast on my ipod if i did have to swerve when commuting at 0430 ,so problem solved!!!!!

JamieRegan

I think it depends what kind of person you are. I do listen to music more times than not and I cycle through the city centre of Edinburgh. For me, it doesn't make any difference to the traffic noise. I think the important thing is your sense of awareness, generally.

I'm very aware of what I need to do, what traffic is likely to do and what pitfalls are around me. I'm not saying I'm always going to get it right 100% of the time, but if I got it wrong it'll never be because I've got music on.

I've said this before, but if you genuinely think that no cyclists should ever listen to music, then you're also saying that deaf people shouldn't cycle and I don't think anyone should say that.

If you're switched on, confident and aware of your surroundings, then whack it up to 11. If not, then don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom