Listen to Music or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
There's no way I'd listen to music on the lanes around here. Most of them are some kind of rat run, so the early warning of an approaching chav-mobile is too vital to deaden.

Plus I like to hear the wildlife. Maybe that makes me sad, but one of the reasons I love riding is to be in the elements and surrounded by nature.

Nearly there

Veteran
I used to listen to music very low and could still here traffic around me then one day set off for a ride without my ipod and actually enjoyed the ride better plus I could hear more sounds and other cyclists coming up behind me and overtaking me:angry:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I used to, but don't now and don't miss it. I also won't answer the phone unless it I am stationary, my phone has an answer phone so if it is urgent a message can be left. When I am out cycling it is about me and the bike, not me the bike and a band or a friend wanting to chat about what to do next weekend. Saying that on a particularly steep long hills I have been known to sing to myself :wacko: normally something like Spin Spin Sugar by The Sneaker Pimps or other motivating song to get me to the top.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I wonder if there are some small speakers that could be mounted to the bars, or some headphones that don't actually go in the ear, but sit on your shoulders?

rollinstok

Headphones and bikes dont mix well. Even on a trail or cyclepath I,d go without in case someone shouted they were passing ( an all too frequent event sadly ).
A handlebar device would be great for off road but havent seen anything since the 70,s when they had some pretty rubbish bar mounted transistor radios.

lulubel

Über Member
I used to when I cycled to work at 5am on deserted country roads (by which I mean seeing a single vehicle during my ride was a once a week occurance, if that). I don't now because I ride at times when there's other traffic around and prefer to keep my wits about me, and music is a distraction.

OP
OP
Aiden_23

Aiden_23

I took the MTB out today without any ipod and it is just aswell,passing a slip road a car flew past me and just about mounted the grass verge to speed up the slip road. I heard the car accelerate and checked my shoulder to see the indicator flashing in my face,just aswell I had the brakes covered if I hadn't then it could have been bad! So I will defo not be taking the ipod out!!!!!

JamieRegan

[QUOTE 1724206, member: 45"]Sorry but that's a ridiculous argument.

A deaf person can do nothing about the increased risk that not being able to hear brings. Someone with headphones can.

It's not about should or shouldn't, but about whether the rider accepts the increased risk or not. And there's no getting away from the fact that there is some level of increased risk. Unless you want to argue against physics.[/quote]

Whether you can do something about it or not, the level of risk is the same for both (or greater, even, for a deaf person). So if it's acceptable to cycle whilst deaf, then it has to be acceptable - in itself - to cycle whilst wearing headphones.

A deaf person would be aware that he or she is deaf and would therefore use extra caution and awareness to ensure they were safe. I think I also do that when I wear headphones. I know I'm listening to music, so I make sure I'm aware of everything I possibly can be. Some people wouldn't be, they'd get wrapped up in the music and subconsciously think 'I can't hear a car, so there's not one there'.

I think the lack of conscious awareness is the issue, not the music. If the music makes you forget to be aware, then it's a problem. If it doesn't, then it's fine.

I remember reading a study once that said the majority of women drivers were better drivers when they'd had one drink, than when completely sober. The reason being that they were completely aware that they'd had one drink and concentrated on driving perfectly to make sure they were safe. It's the same principle.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Whether you can do something about it or not, the level of risk is the same for both (or greater, even, for a deaf person). So if it's acceptable to cycle whilst deaf, then it has to be acceptable - in itself - to cycle whilst wearing headphones.

A deaf person would be aware that he or she is deaf and would therefore use extra caution and awareness to ensure they were safe. I think I also do that when I wear headphones. I know I'm listening to music, so I make sure I'm aware of everything I possibly can be. Some people wouldn't be, they'd get wrapped up in the music and subconsciously think 'I can't hear a car, so there's not one there'.

I think the lack of conscious awareness is the issue, not the music. If the music makes you forget to be aware, then it's a problem. If it doesn't, then it's fine.

I remember reading a study once that said the majority of women drivers were better drivers when they'd had one drink, than when completely sober. The reason being that they were completely aware that they'd had one drink and concentrated on driving perfectly to make sure they were safe. It's the same principle.

:eek:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I took the MTB out today without any ipod and it is just aswell,passing a slip road a car flew past me and just about mounted the grass verge to speed up the slip road. I heard the car accelerate and checked my shoulder to see the indicator flashing in my face,just aswell I had the brakes covered if I hadn't then it could have been bad! So I will defo not be taking the ipod out!!!!!
You found your answer by yourself :thumbsup:

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
It's personal choice, but I don't think there's any increased risk whatsoever as long as you have decent headphones (and don't have it on loud) you can hear what's going on around you. I have radio 1 on every day on my way to work. I set off at 6.30 just in time for Chris Moyles. Occasionally on the way home I'll listen to a nice educational podcast. I tend to avoid music not because I think it's more distracting but because I find myself pedalling to the rhythm which results in me not being at optimum cadence. Be warned people, Gloria Estefan was right, the rhythm is gonna get you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom