Listen to Music or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
and btw pm is for any "discussion "you dont want anybody else to here ,your aggresive tone does nothing for your reputation !!

redcard

Veteran
and btw pm is for any "discussion "you dont want anybody else to here ,your aggresive tone does nothing for your reputation !!

I wasn't the one being aggressive!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?h2lwrr

Jezston

Über Member
[QUOTE 1782467, member: 45"]I thought you were going to do an experiment to support your claims?....[/quote]

It didn't seem that anyone was terribly interested, and then the thread died.

I should do it some time, though. Tricky thing is if the results from microphones are particularly representative of what you hear.

EDIT also just noticed this thread is kind of hidden away now, so not sure if many would be around to judge the results. But I will do it some time.

jim55

Guru
I wasn't the one being aggressive!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?h2lwrr
Somebody asks if ur having a laugh about deaf /blind and the response is du wana argue about it !!! I'd call that aggressive and I bet if somebody said that to you you'd read it as that as well , no place for it hear ,there's a pub just across from me and if I said to anybody about anything "du wana argue about it" I bet I'd b lying/rolling about the floor

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Has anyone used the argument that impairing hearing may enhance the the other senses?

Surely the safest cyclist on the road is the one who navigates solely through smell?

There are at least four human senses that are more important to a cyclist than the sense of hearing. Personally, I think my sense of hearing is no more reliable or useful than my sense of smell when cycling, but we've had all that out upthread and failed to come to an agreement (as you will no doubt be surprised to learn).

d.

What amuses my wife is when I return from a ride in the hills and shout my reply when she asks me anything.

She then says quietly "I do wish you wouldn't take your iPod with you".

"What?" I yell and pop out the only earphone I use on the bike, with music still pouring from it.

She repeats her wish with a smile.

"It's OK" I say with a smile "I only wear one earphone, so I can hear fine".

My wife has long-since perfected the wry smile as a response to spousal stupidity.

That discussion is fairly regular (in different guises) and is a nailed-on easy win for my wife.... But I still use the iPod and still believe that it's safe if I only wear the nearside earphone.

It's safe because I only wear it in one ear and I can hear fine like that. Or something.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I should do it some time, though. Tricky thing is if the results from microphones are particularly representative of what you hear.

I have an iPhone app called Aware that picks up environmental noise through the inline mic in your earphone cable and feeds it to you. I tried it because I thought it might be useful but I found it distracting to the point of making me feel slightly nauseous. (It's a bit like watching a film when the sound and pictures aren't properly synched.)

If sound information is to be at all useful to you when cycling, you need to be able to discern the direction it's coming from. Now, I find that you can't trust the directional cues you get from environmental sound*, which is why I personally don't consider hearing useful when cycling, but when that sound is being reproduced digitally by your phone rather than coming from the world around you, it loses what little directional information it may have had and becomes entirely useless.

For that reason, I doubt your experiment would be helpful.

d.

*YMMV, but I cycle in the real world, not in an anechoic chamber.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Somebody asks if ur having a laugh...

...which is not exactly the most rational line of argument, is it?

d.

Jezston

Über Member
I have an iPhone app called Aware that picks up environmental noise through the inline mic in your earphone cable and feeds it to you. I tried it because I thought it might be useful but I found it distracting to the point of making me feel slightly nauseous. (It's a bit like watching a film when the sound and pictures aren't properly synched.)

If sound information is to be at all useful to you when cycling, you need to be able to discern the direction it's coming from. Now, I find that you can't trust the directional cues you get from environmental sound*, which is why I personally don't consider hearing useful when cycling, but when that sound is being reproduced digitally by your phone rather than coming from the world around you, it loses what little directional information it may have had and becomes entirely useless.

For that reason, I doubt your experiment would be helpful.

The plan was to record with a set of decent binaural mics mounted in my ears (they basically look and act like large earbuds), so as to be the nearest thing you could get to actually capturing what the human ear hears.

Thing is of course microphones don't work quite like the human ear so I'd have to do a trial run and have a proper listen to see if what they pick up is actually anything like what I actually hear. Quite possible they'd be far too sensitive to wind noise and not sensitive enough to traffic noise, but if they aren't completely crippled they may be useful to compare the difference between having my headphones off, on and with music.

Although I don't know if any of it is particularly worth it as only one person has asked for it and I don't think many people fancy having a serious open discussion about it, hence this thread being dumped in the cyclechat equivalent of Room 101.

Norm

... and I don't think many people fancy having a serious open discussion about it...
The thing for me, Jez, is that you are using open-backed cups. I don't recall having seen a single cyclist with anything other than the ipod-style buds or the ones which are pushed deeper into the ear canal and are specifically designed and marketed as being to reduce external noise, so any testing you did wouldn't be vastly relevant to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom