Listen to Music or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I quite often listen to music or a podcast is very enjoyable whilst trundling along .. but i live in a rural area so traffic is'nt much of a problem for me

I did 19 miles last weekend and saw 3 cars and 2 tractors

OP
OP
Aiden_23

Aiden_23

I thought I read 32 tractors there :dance:

I like to listen to music from an MP3 while i ride. I can shorten climbs and take the edge off the gradient. There is clear evidence of this, but I'm not telling you where it is.

Issues with music on the move:

1. I only put the nearside ear thingy in place, so the offside one either hangs annoyingly or gets stuffed into my top.

2. When descending at speed, all music just becomes "Wshhhhhxxxhffffthshfff..." which is not unlike what the young people listen to these days.

3. I do not listen to music when riding in towns or cities. i see people do it and they look fine, but I prefer not to.

4. I am a keen looker-behinder. I've never really had an issue with traffic creeping up on me.

Jezston

Über Member

Not wanting to revitalise an old argument I shall tread carefully, but I think products like this (and single ear phones, handlebar mounted speakers etc) are a bit of a red herring. If you think listening to music is too much of a distraction, or you feel the music itself masks out too much of what you want to be listening for, then fair enough that's up to you.

But half decent open-backed headphones in of themselves block out so little that I don't think these products really offer any advantage - and it appears they offer significant disadvantages in terms of cost and sound quality.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Not wanting to revitalise an old argument I shall tread carefully, but I think products like this (and single ear phones, handlebar mounted speakers etc) are a bit of a red herring. If you think listening to music is too much of a distraction, or you feel the music itself masks out too much of what you want to be listening for, then fair enough that's up to you.

But half decent open-backed headphones in of themselves block out so little that I don't think these products really offer any advantage - and it appears they offer significant disadvantages in terms of cost and sound quality.

I'm ambivalent. I think if someone wants to listen to music it's up to them, and it's their responsibility to make sure their awareness isn't impaired to such a degree that it compromises their safety or that of other people.

I have no idea how this compares to open-backed headphones, but thought some people might be interested in it.

jim55

Guru
just to add my comments
iv always been of the opinion that riding with headphones is taboo ,i recently tried it and find im much more stable and dont get spooked by cars passing so much ,sometimes when a car went by id get spooked before and get a fright(even after a look and seen traffic and thus expecting it ,you just dont know when its gona pass ,now (headphones on low )much calmer and i feel more observant (maybe cos im not so nervous i look more often ),whatever ,it was a surprise ,so much so i ride with them in all the time now (if im riding alone ).but the caveat is i can still hear road noise and people shouting and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom