Lockring spacer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
I don't think the lockring has a spacer, though there is usually a thin, wavy washer in there. Sounds like the problem is with the freehub.

Tojo

Über Member
Ok, if its an 11spd cassette you don't need a spacer I only commented earlier as you hadn't said if it was 9,10,11, I would have a look at the spacers between the sprockets one or more may be cracked......! but I would still favour that there's something wrong with the freehub itself......? what wheels are you using....?

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Thanks, they're Mavik Aksium's
It's the thin "wavy" washer I'm referring to (ive seen it listed as a spacer on an American site) I did mention it was 11sp in my original post, by the way.
What sort of problem could there be with the freehub? I've never done any work with them before.
Thanks again

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Brilliant thanks for that, hopefully that is the problem as I took out a two year policy on the wheels when I bought the bike. Will pop into the shop tomorrow then

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Just back from the bike shop, you were right it was the freehub. Luckily I took out MP3 cover so the wheel is on its way back to France, apparently I'll get a brand new replacement. Thanks for your help

Tojo

Über Member
Just back from the bike shop, you were right it was the freehub. Luckily I took out MP3 cover so the wheel is on its way back to France, apparently I'll get a brand new replacement. Thanks for your help

Glad you have got it sorted.......:cheers:

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Mavic freehub is a great design for light weight but it's not too well lubricated and needs regular maintenance if this play is to be avoided. Mine has a little play and I sorted it by lubing it with car engine oil but unfortunately that was too viscous and it made the hub drag.

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
how does one maintain/service a free hub ? Any links etc.
It's not something I've ever done (clearly)
Thanks

Top Bottom