London and Home Counties Cycle Chat Rides 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

How much cycling do you need to have done to cope with these rides. Given its the football season I'm not likely to beable to do any of these but would perhaps like to give it a go in the summer.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
On the one previous ride it seemed to be fine. People were excellent at waiting for those of us who are slow up hills. As I had suspected, when cycling with a group you tend to go a bit faster than you normally would on your own but that wasn't a problem for me.

The one in April, although a bit of a drive for you, is a figure-of-eight shape with a mainline station in the middle so those who came by train have several bail-out points (at 12 miles and at 36 miles) and in fact those who just want to do the 36 miles can hop on the train as we return through Colchester. Not sure about the other rides yet, but I'd say give it a go - it's not a race!

Origamist

Legendary Member
I can meet you at the pub too...

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Sittingduck said:
Nice - there will be cycling too right? ;):biggrin:

This might be easier than I thought!;)

I've been in a right funk the last week or so, the whole driving and parking thing threw me completely.
I'm wondering if we should start at Clapham Common as there would be, if I remember rightly, parking along Windmill Drive?

Also I am a bit concerned that there will be too many urban roads, traffic lights etc.

The original plan was to do a loop between parks with tea huts, it won't be the longest of rides but hopefully a jolly bimble around some of the nicest and historical bits of Sarf London.

To speculate wildly I'd say we go @ 10am from Clapham, via Brixton and Dulwich to Crystal Palace(the biggest hill) and then on to Greenwich Park for an early lunch.
From Greenwhich then go along the Thames path to Battersea Park and back up to Clapham from there?

Meeting at Waterloo would just mean doing the loop the other way around.

I dunno if this sounds like a worthy plan and if any of you Southern bods have any suggestions to add please say so.

:sad:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Not sure about the parking scenario @ the Windmill but I will try and go past there perhaps next Saturday and take a look-see. There's a couple of road that go through the Common that folks might be able to get parked on and numerous residential ones close by. I know that parking is not free on a Saturday by me and a max stay of 2 hours I think. I live a mile or so down the road though and in a different borough (Wandsworth). C Common is half Wandsworth and half Lambeth I believe, so restrictions may vary.

Waterloo or Clapham Common as embarkation points both work for me - whatever is decided will be good!

Top Bottom